Metal Storm logo
Best Epic movie of recent years

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 17.01.2008 - 19:34
a very simple question, which one is the best of the recent epic historical/fantasy movies, with the good stuff, you know: huge armies, intensely brutal battle scenes, charismatic characters etc.

i didn't include LOTR because it would have won for sure, so out of the list i choose Kingdom of Heaven as it's the most authentic looking, with no scenes that looked at all fake and stuff, plus it's about one of my favourite subjects, the Crusades

also Braveheart was 13 years ago so don't vote for it

Poll

Which?

Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
Beowulf
Troy
Other
Alexander
Mongol
King Arthur

Total votes: 91
07.06.2008 - 01:19
Ragana
Rawrcat
Alexander although I liked Kingdom Of Heaven very much.
09.06.2008 - 20:05
PrinceofSylvania
Account deleted
I think it was 300. Gladiator was great. Same with King Arthur. But 300 wins.
22.06.2008 - 19:05
The Sleeper
Gladiator...........
----
"If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love."
Bohdi - Point Break, 1991
22.01.2009 - 22:46
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Guest on 09.06.2008 at 20:05

300 was based off of cheap flash and silly visual effects to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Not to mention if you read into the history of the battle of Thermopylae you'd realize what a fucking travesty that movie is.

Both Troy and Beowulf were also blood-boilingly terrible. I know theres such thing as an artists interpretation, but in both these cases, the directors took it waaay too far. They didn't just "interpret" the stories, they fucking shit all over them.

King Arthur was pretty cheesy but I guess it was a pretty fun movie altogether, thats an example of when the artists interpretation actually works out, and besides, there are so many terrible King Arthur/Merlin/Knights Of The Round table movie out it was about time someone made a decent one.

The only movies up there worth not destroying are Gladiator, Alexander, Kingdom Of Heaven, and possibly Mongol (haven't seen Mongol yet).
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.01.2009 - 22:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Non, because I cant stand those computer grapfics into movies, if those was made 10 years ago its be werry good, because titles and idea is werry good into movies, but I cant stand those modern technologies, it makes movie not real but like good quality PC game and I dont like it, but I liked Alexander and Troy even maders shood go study history more carifull before made those films
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.01.2009 - 23:08
Dio Is God
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 22.01.2009 at 22:46

Written by Guest on 09.06.2008 at 20:05

300 was based off of cheap flash and silly visual effects to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Not to mention if you read into the history of the battle of Thermopylae you'd realize what a fucking travesty that movie is.

Both Troy and Beowulf were also blood-boilingly terrible. I know theres such thing as an artists interpretation, but in both these cases, the directors took it waaay too far. They didn't just "interpret" the stories, they fucking shit all over them.

King Arthur was pretty cheesy but I guess it was a pretty fun movie altogether, thats an example of when the artists interpretation actually works out, and besides, there are so many terrible King Arthur/Merlin/Knights Of The Round table movie out it was about time someone made a decent one.

The only movies up there worth not destroying are Gladiator, Alexander, Kingdom Of Heaven, and possibly Mongol (haven't seen Mongol yet).

Yeah, I agree, they were all very off from the actual history and stories, non-the-less, I thought they were good movies. Yeah, a lot of it did get really farfetched, but fun to watch, still.
23.01.2009 - 06:43
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Why do people like Alexander? that movie was garbage. The best up there though are Kingdom of Heaven and Mongol. Another good one is called Warlords though. I'd go with Kingdom of Heaven though if I had to pick whats in the poll.
----
Coldgrits
27.01.2009 - 11:14
Berfones
Speaking on epic films, can anyone send me a link to a good download or online viewing of the movie "the ring of the Nibelungs" (dark kingdom: the dragon king), I cannot find it in any store, the TV cable provider I am logged on to does not show this movie, and all 5 times I tried downloading it it did not work...
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
28.01.2009 - 00:01
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Troy and Beowulf? Are those serious options?

I can't fucking wait for the new Hobbit movies. I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, but I love Guillermo Del Toro's works.
31.01.2009 - 09:24
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Guillermo del Toro's doing a Hobbit movie??

Anyway, I voted Mongol, I watched it two days ago and I still can't believe how disturbingly good it was, simply the best of the bunch for me, somebody above mentioned Warlords, that one is also very very good, with Jet Li, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro, all they needed there was some whipped cream.
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
31.01.2009 - 21:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 28.01.2009 at 00:01

I can't fucking wait for the new Hobbit movies. I'm not a Lord of the Rings fan, but I love Guillermo Del Toro's works.

i hadn't seen the computergame cutscene beowulf movie prior to this in any case i'm not sure but i may have been talking about this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/

and Troy seemed pretty epic to me, the fight between Hector and Achilles was pretty rad
31.01.2009 - 21:22
Ragana
Rawrcat
Oh, this is the real Beowulf? *very surprised* Haven't seen it, I thought it was the other Beowulf's second part (I mean, the computer game). XD
31.01.2009 - 21:52
Fat & Sassy!
elite
Written by Linak on 31.01.2009 at 09:24

Guillermo del Toro's doing a Hobbit movie??

Anyway, I voted Mongol, I watched it two days ago and I still can't believe how disturbingly good it was, simply the best of the bunch for me, somebody above mentioned Warlords, that one is also very very good, with Jet Li, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro, all they needed there was some whipped cream.

Yeah, he's spending two years in New Zealand to film a couple hobbit films. Peter Jackson is producing them.

Written by Valentin B on 31.01.2009 at 21:10

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 28.01.2009 at 00:01

i hadn't seen the computergame cutscene beowulf movie prior to this in any case i'm not sure but i may have been talking about this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402057/

and Troy seemed pretty epic to me, the fight between Hector and Achilles was pretty rad

Beowulf was completely AWFUL. I don't think their was one good thing about that movie. Not for me. Not for me.
01.02.2009 - 19:52
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
I vote 300, alot of the films like troy, alexander and king arthur are just boring, i love the way 300 was shot and the battle scenes were awesome...i liked some of the creatures the persians had like that huge dude with swords for arms
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
20.02.2009 - 18:12
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Gladiator any day. 300 was fun, but that's that. It was basiclly Manowar made into a movie. King Arthur was just weird, but still enjoyable. Alexander and Troy were kinda disapointing but still alright somehow (like Troy more than Alexander though). Kingdom of Heaven was really bad. Haven't seen the rest.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
20.02.2009 - 20:50
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 31.01.2009 at 21:52

Beowulf was completely AWFUL. I don't think their was one good thing about that movie. Not for me. Not for me.

You mean the computer game cutscene cartoon right? If yes, then I agree....that thing was a disaster.....especially following a beautifully done and meaningful real film....
29.04.2009 - 17:38
ms68
I don't kown why but i can't tollerate epic movies at all. i think all of them all like to each other. in half of movie they are plan to fight and in other half they are fight and kill each other and as the other bullshit art these movies are popular too.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
29.04.2009 - 18:53
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by ms68 on 29.04.2009 at 17:38

I don't kown why but i can't tollerate epic movies at all. i think all of them all like to each other. in half of movie they are plan to fight and in other half they are fight and kill each other and as the other bullshit art these movies are popular too.

That's exactly what Epic movie means.. But I haven't found them similar, you mean Kingdom of Heaven was like Gladiator?
29.04.2009 - 19:17
ms68
Written by Hamird on 29.04.2009 at 18:53

Written by ms68 on 29.04.2009 at 17:38

That's exactly what Epic movie means.. But I haven't found them similar, you mean Kingdom of Heaven was like Gladiator?

in general view, yes, they are similar but actually i never had mood for seeing whole of an epic movie except gladiator that i saw in about 8 years ago. but if kingdom of heaven is really one of your favorite movies i'll watch that tonight.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
29.04.2009 - 19:56
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Kingdom of Heaven is the only one of them that I liked, so my vote is pretty clear. And I also think that most of the epic movies are pretty similar and therefore also pretty boring.
05.05.2009 - 20:51
Abattoir
staff
Gladiator on first place...it is a masterpiece for me, between all these sort of movies. I also like Troy and King Arthur.
17.05.2009 - 13:36
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Gladiator too!!!! troy was great also...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
02.08.2009 - 21:48
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Beowulf for sure, the special effects and the way it was made are mind blowing.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
22.08.2009 - 09:07
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
This is Sparta. All others, gtfo.
26.08.2009 - 00:27
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
300 and gladiator most definitely! Frank Miller is the shit!!!
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
26.08.2009 - 01:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by {aud}devil on 26.08.2009 at 00:27

Frank Miller is the shit!!!

nope, he isnt
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

26.08.2009 - 01:28
Urizen367
I have to select Kingdom of Heaven, with 300 at a close second. i dug the battles.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
28.08.2010 - 17:25
FOOCK Nam
Still Mongol has deep meaning in a philosophical way of Asian, but mediocre acted by casts also not much fire atmosphere that directed by a Russian, (non-Asian). Troy is nice, Kingdom of Heaven is not bad though, both more very historical/myth realistic. King Arthur same way. I like 300 best.
28.08.2010 - 18:52
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Doc G. on 22.01.2009 at 22:46

I have a huge problem with Alexander... I watched it in the cinema and found it awesome but there's a fucking scene when there's an old man speaking for like... what... 20-30 minutes? and after all that fucking monologue he goes all "Hey, don't write that, just write he died of a disease or something"

Worst. fucking.scene.ever.... I mean, I wanted to take a pee so fucking bad but I always want to see the movie without missing anything (I bought the ticket after all...) and that scene maded me go insane and I run to the toilet
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.08.2010 - 21:59
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Malphas on 28.08.2010 at 19:30

but the fact that they made him kinda gay in the movie pisses me off /facepalm

Written by X-Ray Rod on 28.08.2010 at 18:52

I have a huge problem with Alexander... I watched it in the cinema and found it awesome but there's a fucking scene when there's an old man speaking for like... what... 20-30 minutes? and after all that fucking monologue he goes all "Hey, don't write that, just write he died of a disease or something"

i think you guys didn't quite get what the movie was about.