Metal Storm logo
Best Epic movie of recent years

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 17.01.2008 - 19:34
a very simple question, which one is the best of the recent epic historical/fantasy movies, with the good stuff, you know: huge armies, intensely brutal battle scenes, charismatic characters etc.

i didn't include LOTR because it would have won for sure, so out of the list i choose Kingdom of Heaven as it's the most authentic looking, with no scenes that looked at all fake and stuff, plus it's about one of my favourite subjects, the Crusades

also Braveheart was 13 years ago so don't vote for it

Poll

Which?

Gladiator
Kingdom of Heaven
Beowulf
Troy
Other
Alexander
Mongol
King Arthur

Total votes: 91
10.09.2010 - 02:48
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
None of these films even come close to being epic, in fact they suck. Kingdom of Heaven is probably the worst films made in the last 10 years. If you want epic, look no further than FOTR. Do not look at Ridley Scott, he's never made a good film in his life.
10.09.2010 - 02:53
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 02:48

None of these films even come close to being epic, in fact they suck. Kingdom of Heaven is probably the worst films made in the last 10 years. If you want epic, look no further than FOTR. Do not look at Ridley Scott, he's never made a good film in his life.

You do realise that everyone just dismisses your comments as absurd, nonsensical and based entirely on personal idiosyncrasies i.e. no basis in logic or reality?
10.09.2010 - 03:04
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Why is Gladiator a good film? Give me five reasons and I'll give you fifteen reasons why it's garbage. Go ahead, make my night, I dare you.
10.09.2010 - 03:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 03:04

I'll give you fifteen reasons why it's garbage.

15 highly speculative and personal reasons that do not apply to a mass audience. I've learned my lesson where you're concerned. You're to be gently mocked from a distance and nothing more
10.09.2010 - 03:13
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 03:06

15 highly speculative and personal reasons that do not apply to a mass audience. I've learned my lesson where you're concerned. You're to be gently mocked from a distance and nothing more

You bore me.
10.09.2010 - 03:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 03:13

Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 03:06

You bore me.

Way ahead of you, brother. Mix it up once in a while.
10.09.2010 - 09:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Ridley Scott never made anything good?
Mmmm, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, alien, all three are great movies although the Estonian guy somehow hates Alien calling it unbelievable. Duh, 99% of all movies are unbelievable. Great entertainment is what I seek in movies and all three of the Ridley Scott movies I named provide them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 17:07
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 09:54

Ridley Scott never made anything good?
Mmmm, Blade Runner, Thelma & Louise, alien, all three are great movies although the Estonian guy somehow hates Alien calling it unbelievable. Duh, 99% of all movies are unbelievable. Great entertainment is what I seek in movies and all three of the Ridley Scott movies I named provide them.

There seems to be a gross misunderstanding amongst some people that I hate films for being unrealistic, that's not the case. I hate films that don't make any sense in their own universe. If the alien is a merciless superkiller, then it doesn't make sense that it just let's Ripley win at the end. This isn't just unrealistic, it goes agaisnt the film's own logic. If the company is a powerful all-controlling organization, then it doesn't make sense that they need to aqcuire the alien in secret. This isn't just unrealistic, it goes against the film's own logic. If the company knows how the alien's reproduce, then it doesn't make sense for the company agent to allow the man with the alien out of quarantine. This isn't just unrealistic, it...you know the drill. Nothing in Alien makes sense in the film's own universe. Please, prove me wrong if you can, but don't come back with the boring as hell rhetoric that J.O.O.E. swears by.

On the other hand, despite it's gigantic mistakes and obvious problems, it is a truly scary film (or was the first time I saw it as a child), Sigourny Weaver is brilliant and the alien itself is one of the best designed creatures ever to appear in a film (Giger, you da man!). If you like Alien for those reasons, that's fine. No one has to agree with me in order for me to respect their opinion. But Ridley Scott stiill sucks and so does the film.

BLADE RUNNER

Everything I have to say about Blade Runner has already been said by SpoonyOne:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/blade-runner/

To anyone who says that criticizing films like Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey or Avatar for plot is missing the point, these are all FILMS, not theme park rides. Atmosphere, style, setting, effects etc. don't make up for lack of good characters and lack of a good plot.
10.09.2010 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
And still you think LotR and Star Wars are great, wow, totally baffling.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.09.2010 - 21:44
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.09.2010 at 17:52

And still you think LotR and Star Wars are great, wow, totally baffling.

What's baffling is your inability to understand a word I am saying. Don't have kids.
14.09.2010 - 10:45
Gurth Bennas
I think beowulf is more epic than other movies in the list! and also LOTR is the best forever! unfortunately It's not in the list.
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
14.09.2010 - 18:26
akvan
Written by Gurth Bennas on 14.09.2010 at 10:45

I think beowulf is more epic than other movies in the list! and also LOTR is the best forever! unfortunately It's not in the list.

Beowulf is an old European legend and an epic move but i enjoyed from gladiator a lot
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
14.09.2010 - 21:21
FOOCK Nam
I've never seen any Epic case mixed in with deep love/women stuff, only Beowulf, all other just focused mostly on heroic themes. But I want a human-cast movie
02.02.2011 - 11:28
Popcrazy
It was very difficult to choose one movie between all movies but finally i voted to 300 movie.
Best movie ever..

03.02.2011 - 20:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Shrek III ... awesomely epic.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.02.2011 - 22:50
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 10.09.2010 at 21:44

Don't have kids.

This made my day... thank you!

What I love about Tolkien's literature the most is that the Christian symbols and message are so beautifully expressed there, it's incomparable to everything else... especially nowadays when, let's say it out as it is... values are thrown in garbage can, spat and pissed upon and whatnot. And now when a beautifully done film with extremely beautiful landscapes and scenes and emotions also bears such a message of the true meaning of love (I am speaking of love the way it's supposed to be understood... love which in Greek is expressed by the word агапи(agape)... completely unrelated to any sexual activity...)... well... then it's wonderful... It's such a beautiful film with such a beautiful message that I think it doesn't even belong into this society into this day because it is too pure for this corrupt world where people's minds have room for physical pleasure and perverse fantasies only... It's a miracle LOTR was made into a film anyway... all major film companies were against it or were only willing to do it in the condition of "cutting the novel for financial reasons" and of course, editing the original message... I'm glad Peter Jackson never gave in... otherwise LOTR's film version would have "just another pointless cash grab film" with zero plot and "loosely based on the title of LOTR"...

Returning to the Christian symbolism and messages... Same thing with Narnia although Narnia's quality as films is weaker and it's more like "easy entertainment", the message gives these films their highlights as well...
LOTR, of course, in my eyes is good also because of the special effects have not been overused and the landscapes one sees are actually real filming locations...
The 3D, the floating mountains in Avatar etc might be pretty to watch but after all, it's lifeless at some point and just bothers you...
03.02.2011 - 23:38
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 03.02.2011 at 22:50

This made my day... thank you!

Actually, it was rude of me to say that to him, but I get pretty sick of people misinterpreting criticism of lazy writing as "hating a movie for being unrealistic". There's a difference between: "The Alien is a super killer! Oh...wait, it is not when the plot doesn't need it to be!" and "There are aliens." The first is lazy writing, the other is suspension of disbelief. The first is unforgivable, the second is necessary in sci-fi and fantasy alike.

Quote:

What I love about Tolkien's literature the most is that the Christian symbols and message are so beautifully expressed there, it's incomparable to everything else... especially nowadays when, let's say it out as it is... values are thrown in garbage can, spat and pissed upon and whatnot. And now when a beautifully done film with extremely beautiful landscapes and scenes and emotions also bears such a message of the true meaning of love (I am speaking of love the way it's supposed to be understood... love which in Greek is expressed by the word агапи(agape)... completely unrelated to any sexual activity...)... well... then it's wonderful... It's such a beautiful film with such a beautiful message that I think it doesn't even belong into this society into this day because it is too pure for this corrupt world where people's minds have room for physical pleasure and perverse fantasies only... It's a miracle LOTR was made into a film anyway... all major film companies were against it or were only willing to do it in the condition of "cutting the novel for financial reasons" and of course, editing the original message... I'm glad Peter Jackson never gave in... otherwise LOTR's film version would have "just another pointless cash grab film" with zero plot and "loosely based on the title of LOTR"...

The Kiwi spirit is what made LOTR into the greatest film trilogy of all time. Have you seen the extended editions with all the documentaries? They cost me a crapload of money, but they were worth every cent, because they really demonstrate just how much passion and hard work went into the making of the films. Occasionally fans of films give out compliments such as: "You could make an entire film about how well this or that film was lit, directer or or or", in the case of LOTR, those films actually exist.

Quote:

LOTR, of course, in my eyes is good also because of the special effects have not been overused and the landscapes one sees are actually real filming locations...
The 3D, the floating mountains in Avatar etc might be pretty to watch but after all, it's lifeless at some point and just bothers you...

Avatar sucked balls. It was Pocahontas in space, with the racist general, the native girl falling for the outsider and the stupid magic tree. However, I also thought The Return Of The King did get somewhat carried away with the special effects, which is why it is my least favorite of the films (that and the stupid ass ghost army). The Fellowship Of The Ring easily takes the cake as the best of the LOTR films, because of it's darkness, excellent writing, unbelievably good miniature (should say bigature) photography, great performances and the best soundtrack ever to grace a film. The only problem in FOTR was that Celeborn was miscast, horribly, horribly miscast.

"Nobody tosses a dwarf!"
04.02.2011 - 02:09
Luneth
Account deleted
Beowulf for me as it's the only true 'epic' among the others. Plus it's a great movie that sticks to the origina; poem quite nicely.
04.02.2011 - 22:59
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 04.02.2011 at 02:09

Beowulf for me as it's the only true 'epic' among the others. Plus it's a great movie that sticks to the origina; poem quite nicely.

"Beowulf" starring Gerard Butler or the animation "Beowulf"? The first one is a good and visually great film with wonderful views of Scandinavian wild nature... the second is a quite tacky cartoon composed of computer game cut-scenes... the contrast is especially apparent because the two "Beowulfs" actually appeared with very little time gap between them...
04.02.2011 - 23:01
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 04.02.2011 at 22:59

Written by Guest on 04.02.2011 at 02:09

"Beowulf" starring Gerard Butler or the animation "Beowulf"? The first one is a good and visually great film with wonderful views of Scandinavian wild nature... the second is a quite tacky cartoon composed of computer game cut-scenes... the contrast is especially apparent because the two "Beowulfs" actually appeared with very little time gap between them...

Lol, the first of course, the animation was a joke.
04.02.2011 - 23:03
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 04.02.2011 at 23:01

Thank God! I was already fearing you thought the adaptation where Grendel's mother was Angelina Jolie with skin tight swimming suit, tail and high heels was "close to the poem"...
04.02.2011 - 23:25
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Ernis on 04.02.2011 at 23:03

Written by Guest on 04.02.2011 at 23:01

Thank God! I was already fearing you thought the adaptation where Grendel's mother was Angelina Jolie with skin tight swimming suit, tail and high heels was "close to the poem"...

Haha, all that shit was good for was seeing Jolie practically naked.
08.02.2011 - 00:08
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.02.2011 at 23:25

Sorry to break it to you, but that wasn't her, it was just her face. She had a bodydouble.

Speaking of the OP, Kingdom of Heaven was one of the worst pieces of contrived garbage I have ever seen in my life. Even for Ridley Scott, it was a bad film.

"Sir, it's the third day of battle, I think I should tell you that I know how we can break into Jerusalem."

"Wait...why didn't you tell me this before? We've been fighting for three days and you didn't think to bring this up before the battle?"

"Sorry, Sir! But the director wouldn't let me. You know he's allergic to logic and consistency in his movies!"

I really hate Ridley Scott...
08.02.2011 - 00:20
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Guest on 08.02.2011 at 00:08

Written by Guest on 04.02.2011 at 23:25

Sorry to break it to you, but that wasn't her, it was just her face. She had a bodydouble.

And the bodydouble was CGI as well...
10.02.2011 - 04:15
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
Hard to pick anything else from this list but Gladiator. If Lord of the Rings was on there it would for sure win.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
10.02.2011 - 20:40
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by AtLossForWords on 10.02.2011 at 04:15

Hard to pick anything else from this list but Gladiator. If Lord of the Rings was on there it would for sure win.

Probably isn't there for that very reason...

either that or the OP didn't think it was an epic.
11.02.2011 - 14:34
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Voted for Gladiator. Quite a clear cut choice for me.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
12.02.2011 - 10:42
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Gladiator gets my vote. As a couple of people here already said, a very easy choice.
12.02.2011 - 11:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Valentin B on 28.08.2010 at 21:59

i think you guys didn't quite get what the movie was about.

What did I miss? I just found it too slow...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
12.02.2011 - 11:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.02.2011 at 11:23

Written by Valentin B on 28.08.2010 at 21:59

i think you guys didn't quite get what the movie was about.

What did I miss? I just found it too slow...

it was way more deeper than just "ah but fuck it, say that he died of a fever or whatever..", he knew that his ambitions were way more than just "let's conquer this shit and burn it to the ground", the guy had an incredible vision of uniting the races and nations of the world and trying to explain what he saw in him in mere words would have been pointless as no-one would have fully understood it anyway, so that's why he decides to just put it incredibly simple.