03. Fornicationium et Immundus Diabolus
04. Sepulture Of Hypocrisy
05. The Goatreich - Fleshcult
06. Swarm Of Rats
07. Kings Shall Be Kings
08. The Crown Massacre
09. Festum Asinorum/Chapt. 2
10. Heresy Of Fire [bonus]

Belphegor seems to be one of those bands that a lot of people know, but you can't find many hardcore fans. Honestly, after hearing "Goatreich-Fleshcult," I cannot understand why! This Austrian trio has managed to top all of their previous releases (yes, even "Lucifer Infestus") as they raise the saw of Death higher then the sword of Black with more conviction. I guarantee you, they have achieved the most blasphemous and extreme sound ever made by those deadly instruments together.

The power of these compositions is really mind blowing and effective. There's such an incredible raw rage and rhythmic force slashing your mind with the technical perfection of this huge machine; yet at the same time, so many addictive moments that after the first or second listen you will be easily mesmerized. "The Cruzifixus-Anus Dei" has an evil start. After a short dialogue ends with a laugh, the insane riffing commences suddenly as if to say "you have been warned and now you'll suffer." They guide you through uncountable hyperblasts, to the presence of Helmuth. His screams are very dirty but clear. In this song he mostly growls, except on the chorus, where for that small moment he reminds me of Dani Filth. For the second song not much changes, it's all about the violent speed and hateful performances by all four goat venerators. "Fornicationium Et Immundus Diabolus" is clearly the most captivating chapter of these 9 songs. There's an amazing melody that constantly appears, then a chorus where you just feel like you want to torture your throat with it. The title track has, overall, every element you hear on the most typical Morbid Angel songs, with great riffing that appears often. "Swarm of Rats" has many tempo changes and killer solos. "The Crown Massacre" continues the assault, with more solos, deep growls, great cymbal work and a very present bass that you can hear clearly in the beginning.

When the fast tracks stand out one after the other in an album where musical chaos is the guiding line, the unusual slower ones are often a complete surprise. "Sepulture of Hypocrisy" is actually closer to Doom/Death Metal. With the brutal vocals and cold heaviness of this band, this kind of music is not something you hear very often (but you will enjoy from the first second). "Kings Shall Be Kings" is a sick slow/mid-paced Death Metal anthem. Also, the closing "Festum Asinorum Chapter 2" has a truly intimidating vibe. The vocals are really morbid and there are many diabolical details through these 6 minutes, but it has its speed-dependent moments as well.

"Goatreich-Fleshcult" is a varied and well balanced work. There's quality in every single aspect, the production, the music, the cover art. Belphegor have finally reached their own identity by creating a different sound inside the Death/Black Metal spectrum. Even if I could make some comparisons with, for example "World Ov Worms" by Zyklon, Belphegor can be more extreme with speed than what this kind of band usually shows us. A new gospel of Armageddon has just been created and it should definitely be "read" by everyone. Long live the Goat Reich!

Written by Passenger | 12.02.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 127 users
18.01.2008 - 08:01
Rating: 10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
The album that got me into this band, probably there best in my opinion. Some of the little BM Im really into.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.01.2008 - 11:17
Rating: 8
Sunioj

Quite a few filler songs IMO but some songs absolutely slay though.
17.01.2009 - 23:40
Rating: 10
Varegan
Hamranakara
The meaning of blackened death metal, best album of this band IMO.
I love the Kings Shall Be Kings track
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)

Hits total: 5965 | This month: 8