Metal Storm logo
What is the best Nu Metal band?

Original post

Posted by Olli, 18.01.2008 - 17:38
Like all genres, Nu Metal has good bands and it has (more) shit bands. This poll is here to show what Nu Metal band(s) the users of metalstorm like!
Personally I prefer Korn because I'm still not bored of them and they are still putting out albums with very different styles. Most of the other bands become boring quite fast.

Poll

Best Nu Metal Band?

System Of A Down
Slipknot
Disturbed
Korn
Other
Linkin Park
Mudvayne
Limp Bizkit
Drowning Pool

Total votes: 250
01.02.2008 - 23:44
iaberis
Advice Troll
I voted for Slipknot cause they own you all. And SOAD is not NU.
----
Bitch! Please
05.02.2008 - 11:46
MadameDoom
Account deleted
Everyone classifies SOAD as nu metal.

Only because they can't be classified as anything else.

SOAD has changed their sound so much since the self titled album and their demo tapes.

Check out Dam or Patterns.. then compare it to Thiscocainemakesmefeellikeimonthissong or BYOB.

Crazy shit kids.
05.02.2008 - 20:54
Son of Odin
I didnt vote, I throwed up...
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
05.02.2008 - 21:36
Vunts
No one cares if you didn't vote. If you haven't got anything useful or on topic to say, then don't post (seen as you hate all this stuff). Especially since this isn't a thread about "do you like these bands?" it's "what do you like more?". I can't help myself...

Out of all the bands mentioned here, I actually think only Korn and Limp Bizkit play pure nu metal (I don't remember Mudvayne and I haven't heard a single Drowning Pool song, so I can't comment on those two). So the competition is between only 2 bands. Limp Bizkit loses here, because they seem to rely fully on the hip hop elements, losing complexity in their songs. Korn however is quite balanced and their songs have nice builds most of the time, using the mix between hop hip in a way that it doesn't feel annoying or repetitive.
The other reason (actually the main reason) why I voted for Korn is because I listen to them more than occasionally, but I can't be bothered to find my old Limp Bizkit CDs or look up any news about them (meaning I don't care for them much)...
11.02.2008 - 18:29
Stigma
Account deleted
Poor Limp Bizkit, not a single vote. Err wait, maybe I'm not that sorry after all.
Anywho, I voted Mudvayne, because their stuff is really dynamic, better than Slipknot or Disturbed. And I've never really liked KoRn.. And System Of A Down is clearly Alternative Metal. They're about as Nu as Rage Against The Machine or Faith No More in my opinion.
11.02.2008 - 20:08
Hamird
Lieutenant
i think if Chester and his band see this topic will kill them selves from happiness ...cuz here they are called NU METAL ... their dream is to be a metal band but they can not be more than hip-hop ...
here in this list i respect Mudvayne, and some times i enjoy some Disturbed songs...
14.02.2008 - 00:41
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Mudvayne, because they accually have a good sound comared to the rest (SOAD isnt new metal)
----
Coldgrits
14.02.2008 - 08:29
slayer_pwns
Account deleted
linkin park even though theyre not really nu metal.
nu metal sucks but ive been into linkin park since hybrid theory came out when i was in like 3rd or 4th grade and theyre still one of my favs.
26.02.2008 - 07:30
NOИ
if we are talking about music only, then System Of A Down are the winners, BUT they are not only Nu Metal, there more elements in their music.
11.03.2008 - 16:20
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Korn.. Although some people might might say Machine Head(in other)....
11.03.2008 - 17:23
RhysTerk
Slipknot, Korn is also good but has went crap on their latest albums, i mean in Untitled, there's only a few songs that is metal at least
15.03.2008 - 15:54
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Korn without a doubt.... Machine Head(if you were to call them Nu-Metal) are good as well. I like the issues album, its good
15.03.2008 - 17:40
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I hate like, all the bands on this thread except for system, so that was inherently my choice. I don't know if the term "Nu" is really even applicable to them. I mean, they're definitly obscure, and alternative in some way or other, but I think we label them as Nu somply because nobody really knows where else to put them.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
15.03.2008 - 23:10
Olli
Written by Arian Totalis on 15.03.2008 at 17:40

Yeah, I hate like, all the bands on this thread except for system, so that was inherently my choice. I don't know if the term "Nu" is really even applicable to them. I mean, they're definitly obscure, and alternative in some way or other, but I think we label them as Nu somply because nobody really knows where else to put them.

Yeah that happens to quite a few "Nu Metal" bands but system are the most well known. I put them in the poll as most people seem to find that thats the closest type.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
19.03.2008 - 00:42
JESTER576
Account deleted
Mudvayne is the only one outta those (besides SOAD) that's actually listenable.
21.03.2008 - 22:58
Metal_Militia
//I voted other because i think Bobaflex is the best...not their new stuff. I knew them long before this new Tales From Dirtown crap came out//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

25.03.2008 - 20:27
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i voted for SOAD cos although they arent strictly nu, there are the best band out of the group given
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
28.03.2008 - 18:45
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by Vunts on 05.02.2008 at 21:36

No one cares if you didn't vote. If you haven't got anything useful or on topic to say, then don't post (seen as you hate all this stuff). Especially since this isn't a thread about "do you like these bands?" it's "what do you like more?". I can't help myself...

LOL at this comment for Son of Odin...brilliant dude

EDIT: voted Korn btw 'cause I'm not a big fan of Slipknot and SOAD isn't nu-metal
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
28.03.2008 - 19:07
tulkas
el parcero
i voted slipknot. it's one of my favorite bands i they have 'influenced' and helped me in different ways, specially because of some lyrics
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
28.03.2008 - 21:54
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Soad and Slipknot,all the others make me retch!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
28.03.2008 - 22:30
Evil Chip
Deftones are nu metal or alternative?. If they are nu metal they should be in the list, one of my favourite bands.
28.03.2008 - 22:45
DevilishSong
I voted Slipknot because of thair style.
but i Dont agree with this:
"nu metal is some kind of Metal"
NU metal is just some kind of music.
29.03.2008 - 19:57
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by DevilishSong on 28.03.2008 at 22:45

Why do you keep calling it metal then?

It is indeed a subgenre of metal.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
30.03.2008 - 12:44
DevilishSong
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 29.03.2008 at 19:57

Written by DevilishSong on 28.03.2008 at 22:45

Why do you keep calling it metal then?

It is indeed a subgenre of metal.

your right! but it is just my opinion.
Thanks for notification.
30.03.2008 - 21:15
Fhuesc
Korn, by the simple fact, that if someone, gave me a ticket (i'll never buy one again) for a Korn's concert, I'd go. But the I'd never go to a concert from the other bands in the list.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
30.03.2008 - 23:27
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Voted Disturbed even though its not really Nu Metal...
01.04.2008 - 08:19
Anarchist
I voted Linkin Park, I've liked them for years and saw them live recently. Can't believe they're mentioned on this site, I never really considered them metal.
03.04.2008 - 23:00
Colony
Account deleted
I picked Disturbed.......but I want to specify why.

I never liked SOAD or Slipknot. Always hated them. Same thing with KORN. Mudvayne has a couple songs I like by them but still they don't do it for me. Linkin Park is hardly Nu Metal IMO. Drowning Pool and Limp Bizkit are mediocre as well IMO. Disturbed is the band that got me into metal even though I still don't classify them as metal in any way. All their albums sound the same but they don't suck.
08.04.2008 - 01:26
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by WorpeX on 30.03.2008 at 23:27

Not really Nu metal? What are they then? Hard rock? They sound pretty Nu to me...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
08.04.2008 - 21:39
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 08.04.2008 at 01:26

Written by WorpeX on 30.03.2008 at 23:27

Not really Nu metal? What are they then? Hard rock? They sound pretty Nu to me...

Its hard to describe what they are, their first album "The Sickness" is the only one that you can argue to be Nu Metal really. From what I understand, Nu Metal is influenced by hip-hop and rap music (wikipedia backs me up as well). This sound is absent from their more recent releases of "Believe" and "Ten Thousand Fists".

Personally, i would classify them as Heavy Metal, however they could be Hard Rock as well.