Metal Storm logo
What is the best Nu Metal band?

Original post

Posted by Olli, 18.01.2008 - 17:38
Like all genres, Nu Metal has good bands and it has (more) shit bands. This poll is here to show what Nu Metal band(s) the users of metalstorm like!
Personally I prefer Korn because I'm still not bored of them and they are still putting out albums with very different styles. Most of the other bands become boring quite fast.

Poll

Best Nu Metal Band?

System Of A Down
Slipknot
Disturbed
Korn
Other
Linkin Park
Mudvayne
Limp Bizkit
Drowning Pool

Total votes: 250
02.12.2009 - 17:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Kittie heavier than Slipknot? Pffft! Slipknot are WAY heavier!

Anyways, I went for Slipknot, even though I debate that they aren't really nu-metal. SOAD and Korn are pretty good too.
15.01.2010 - 04:58
gwarscumdog

Yes Devildriver is a great band The vocals are almost the exact same but Coal Chamber had something about them that made them better.
01.02.2010 - 04:25
thewall30

Slipknot by far...
----
03.02.2010 - 14:02
Scourge

Were are the Deftones?? they are by far the best nu metal band
----
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and bitter...
20.04.2010 - 18:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
SOAD is NOT nu-metal
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.04.2010 - 18:51
Asat0r

Yeah, I don't really consider SOAD as Nu-Metal. Still voted for them, I've always thought they had a very unique sound, and are very tallented.
20.04.2010 - 20:15
SerratedSyringe

....So no one has mentioned Mushroomhead yet?

My vote goes to Mushroomhead. They bring more intelligence than any other band on the list, and sing about bizarre, abstract ideas instead of the typical "Government sucks! Police suck! Life sucks! People SucK!" approach. Musically they produce cold, dark atmospheres more reminiscent of black or doom metal then typical Nu metal. The vocals are always interesting and diverse split between two very different entities.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
21.04.2010 - 07:58
whatsacow

Deftones are like the only nu metal band i like.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
21.04.2010 - 13:27
Kennoth

Voted for Korn, because, frankly, they ARE my favorite band. However, although its easier to just slap the nu-metal label on every alternative metal band out there, some of these really can't be considered a nu-metal

For example, Limp Bizkit is rapcore, not nu-metal
SOAD, and Mudvayne are alternative metal
I don't really consider Linkin Park to be metal at all...
Only the first album from Disturbed is nu-metal, but I guess once you're labeled a nu-metal band, it stays on you
----
*insert something deep and profound*
03.07.2010 - 00:04
Sulac

I'm a massive fan of Disturbed, so I'll have to put them. SOAD's the better band of the two, I think, but I like Disturbed more.
03.07.2010 - 15:32
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by SerratedSyringe on 20.04.2010 at 20:15

....So no one has mentioned Mushroomhead yet?

My vote goes to Mushroomhead. They bring more intelligence than any other band on the list, and sing about bizarre, abstract ideas instead of the typical "Government sucks! Police suck! Life sucks! People SucK!" approach. Musically they produce cold, dark atmospheres more reminiscent of black or doom metal then typical Nu metal. The vocals are always interesting and diverse split between two very different entities.

I also think Mushroomhead is the best nu metal band, although still not particularly impressive.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
06.07.2010 - 12:01
ExtraHachse

1 Linkin Park
2 Disturbed
3 Slipknot
4 System of a Down(not really Nu)
5 Korn
6 Drowning Pool
7 Mudwayne/Limp Bizkit(I've never listened to them)
----
I like Powerwolf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07.07.2010 - 03:58
Weaponz248

Mudvayne hands down IMO. They just bring a different sound to the table. I love the drums and Chads vocals are excellent IMHO.

Oh and Limp bizkit is'nt metal its crap.......
08.07.2010 - 11:07
ExtraHachse

Quote:
Oh and Limp bizkit is'nt metal its crap.......

Something I can agree with.

But Soad isn't Nu. Imo they are more like alternative.
----
08.07.2010 - 15:30
Kennoth

Written by ExtraHachse on 08.07.2010 at 11:07

At last someone with some sense.

SOAD is not a nu metal band, and LB are not metal at all.

Though I also think of LP more of a rapcore/hard rock band too
----
08.07.2010 - 15:59
ExtraHachse

Written by Kennoth on 08.07.2010 at 15:30

Written by ExtraHachse on 08.07.2010 at 11:07

At last someone with some sense.

SOAD is not a nu metal band, and LB are not metal at all.

Though I also think of LP more of a rapcore/hard rock band too

Linkin Park is imo crossover. A bit Metal a bit Rock with Rap. But with their newest album minutes to midnight they became alternative rock if you ask me. But I still like them because they were the first band i started to like.
----
08.07.2010 - 16:01
ExtraHachse

Yes Deftones are missing. One of the first Nu Metal bands if I'm right.
----
08.07.2010 - 16:07
Kennoth

Written by ExtraHachse on 08.07.2010 at 15:59

Linkin Park is imo crossover. A bit Metal a bit Rock with Rap. But with their newest album minutes to midnight they became alternative rock if you ask me. But I still like them because they were the first band i started to like.

Yeah, that's about right. Their earlier work had some metal elements to it, but it's long gone now.

Written by ExtraHachse on 08.07.2010 at 16:01

IDK exact year they were formed, but they're old enough I guess. Though for some reason, I never really liked Chino Moreno's voice.
----
08.07.2010 - 20:44
ExtraHachse

Quote:
Written by ExtraHachse on 08.07.2010 at 16:01

IDK exact year they were formed, but they're old enough I guess. Though for some reason, I never really liked Chino Moreno's voice.

I don't listen very much of them but i think one of the oldest Nu Metal bands should be in the voting list
----
17.07.2010 - 14:33
batusay

Drowning pool is worth for more, why soad? they are not to hard, and they don't have to good lyrics, i go with disturbed:X
----
Come inside and be afraid
Of this impressive mess I've made
If you take a look now you will find
PERFECT INSANITY
18.07.2010 - 20:05
Perseverence
Account deleted
Not in particular with the later stuff, but Korn's older music i.e. Korn, Life is Peachy and Follow the Leader are some of the heaviest music out there, and in some ways it is heavier than a lot of Death Metal out there.:banger:
23.07.2010 - 00:20
Liquidus_Animus

Disturbed!!!
They were the band that got me into metal. SOAD and Slipknot are close.
And SOAD is more alternative metal then Nu Metal.
23.07.2010 - 00:41
Kennoth

Written by Guest on 18.07.2010 at 20:05

Not in particular with the later stuff, but Korn's older music i.e. Korn, Life is Peachy and Follow the Leader are some of the heaviest music out there, and in some ways it is heavier than a lot of Death Metal out there.:banger:

Written by gwarscumdog on 15.01.2010 at 04:58

Yes Devildriver is a great band The vocals are almost the exact same but Coal Chamber had something about them that made them better.

I seriously tried to give DD a few listens, but they're just too generic for me.

As for CC, they were pretty raw and dark for a nu-metal band back then (though most people say they're copying Korn, I'll neither confirm nor deny)
----
23.07.2010 - 14:03
vezzy
Stallmanite

Hahaha, no.
----
23.07.2010 - 17:55
Perseverence
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 14:03

Hahaha, no.

Do resarch before you comment.
23.07.2010 - 17:58
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 23.07.2010 at 17:55

Hahaha, no.

Sorry, but that doesn't help defend your point. Really, I don't see how Misery Index, Massacre, Master, Cryptopsy or anything like that is less heavier than Korn.
Then again, you do love to troll.
----
23.07.2010 - 18:03
Perseverence
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 17:58

Hahaha, no.

Sorry, but that doesn't help defend your point. Really, I don't see how Misery Index, Massacre, Master, Cryptopsy or anything like that is less heavier than Korn.

Well friend I agree the music is not heavier, that is never what I meant. I meant that the imagery is heavier than bands like Cryptopsy. Korn'[s song Daddy is about a father raping his child somethin truly horrific because it happens every day. Death metal band like Cryptopsy are about nothing but gore. It is using this logic that I say Korn is heavier. But I could just be talking out of my ass, because I play Candy Land alone with only a cat as a companion.
23.07.2010 - 18:10
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 23.07.2010 at 18:03

Written by vezzy on 23.07.2010 at 17:58

Hahaha, no.

Well friend I agree the music is not heavier, that is never what I meant. I meant that the imagery is heavier than bands like Cryptopsy. Korn'[s song Daddy is about a father raping his child somethin truly horrific because it happens every day. Death metal band like Cryptopsy are about nothing but gore. It is using this logic that I say Korn is heavier. But I could just be talking out of my ass, because I play Candy Land alone with only a cat as a companion.

Cryptopsy's lyrics are generally in the horror/gore/insanity theme, yes. Misery Index are about political/social issues, Massacre discuss evil/Lovecraftian themes and Master are about religion/politics/death.

Although yes, the lyrics to Daddy are pretty disturbing.
----
17.09.2010 - 06:49
DRobichaud

Not surprising, but what a bunch of garbage bands in the nu metal category: Limp Bizkit, Linkin Puke, Disturbed...ugh. Garbage.

Korn were good. Are no longer. That's done.

System of a Down needs to come back. I'm not sure why they're "nu metal". Whatever. They're awesome.
----
Now is blessed, the rest remembered.
17.09.2010 - 23:20
jacob15728

SOAD are actually pretty good. I don't know why they're even grouped with bands like Slipknot and Limp Bizkit. Nu Metal refers to metal combined with grunge and rap. SOAD does not fit that label at all...