02. Rhyacian
03. Orosirian
04. Statherian
05. Calymmian
06. Ectasian
07. Stenian
08. Tonian
09. Cryogenian

This is the sound of hell and heaven collapsing after Armageddon took the earth...

Yes, this might not be for everyone, but neither is David Lynch and that doesn't mean he isn't one of the most amazing and interesting minds in our planet. The Ocean is a band that almost falls into the Post-Rock category, if it weren't for the "core" structures and metal riffs of course, most of the time they create sonic landscapes and a huge amount of "build-ups" (a particularly important feature in Post-Rock) that slowly fit in the depths of this incredible CD.

There's a clever concept behind the music as well (I won't spoil this for you). The album features a Mini CD and a Full Length, both are worked and crafted into different emotions (one is obviously heavier than the other) and each has its individual booklet with lyrics, impressive artwork and some bizarre quotes...quite chilling if you ask me... You'll find the whole concept in the back cover, it's something quite original and somehow nerdy, but it really works in every level trust me.

The music inside this record is just flawless. It's beautiful, it's almost every noun of grandeur I can think of right now, it's Post-Metal at its sickening best. Most tracks are really complex, when it comes to songwriting they almost fall in a prog jar full of tasty Yes and King Crimson flavors, the music is so dynamic and cohesive that it sounds like Neurosis and At The Gates conceived a godlike creature that knows how and when to fully explode - it's just brilliant in one word!

Some might say this is the most pretencious album ever released in the metal scene...if they're right, this band has all the weapons to do it and succeed; I say this is simply the most coherent incarnation of modern metal out there.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Herzebeth | 24.01.2008

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 366 users
24.01.2008 - 13:23
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
This seems to be awesome!
24.01.2008 - 13:29
austrianbastard
Account deleted
this is not sooo amazing as it seems.
the first cd is some average hardcore and the 2n cd is sometimes genious but most of the time quite boring
24.01.2008 - 14:16
Rating: 7
Talvi

Oh yeah, I was quite surprised that no one here did a review of this album. Probably one of the best of 2007. I've heard it like 5 times and I still don't get it, it's not easy to listen but still I feel the music inside it's amazing.

I didn't expect a so high rating even though.

Edit: Just heared it with headphones and doind nothing but listening to the music. Now it's much better. The first disc it's like catchy progressive metalcore (or some -core thing) which if you like Between The Buried And Me or Burst, you will like this. Don't be afraid of that term, in fact it's just a bit faster, simpler and catchier than the other CD.

The second CD it's where is the real music. There it's the progressive elements, the symphonic ones and well, that when you will be amazed by this album.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
24.01.2008 - 16:34
Rating: 9
AnarChrist

finally a review of this album!
one of the very bests of 2007 in my opinion
the concept is great and the music...phenomenal
one of the most promising new bands indeed
their previous album "Aeolian" is also great
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
24.01.2008 - 16:40
Herzebeth

oh yes...it's not easy on the ear...

but if you know what Godspeed You! Black Emperor is and you love that kind of music...believe me, you won't be bored.

I repeat

"Yes, this might not be for everyone, but neither is David Lynch and that doesn't mean he isn't one of the most amazing and interesting minds in our planet."
----
25.01.2008 - 00:40
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Good review. I like their other albums, so I'll be sure to check this one out.
25.01.2008 - 03:16
Magikrio
Account deleted
Hmm... looks like I'll have to investiagte. Good reviews have never failed me before
25.01.2008 - 03:22
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
History is awesome. It's so awesome that a band named one of their albums after a period in history where most of life consisted of nothing more than single-celled organisms. I'll be sure to check this one out.
25.01.2008 - 05:12
HardSide

Hez reviews never steered me wrong, i gotta check this out.
25.01.2008 - 05:57
Herzebeth

GREAT!! just remember the nature of the band
----
25.01.2008 - 13:26
Quadz
Account deleted
My favourite of 2007
26.01.2008 - 03:39
Fhuesc

OMG this band is like David Lynch, then it must be a crap. Anyway i'll try it and jugde.

EDIT: even when i didn't like them, i think they are good.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
26.01.2008 - 08:50
Herzebeth

Written by Fhuesc on 26.01.2008 at 03:39

OMG this band is like David Lynch, then it must be a crap. Anyway i'll try it and jugde.

LOL you're part of the 88% of the population who doesn't understand or bare David Lynch...cool...
----
26.01.2008 - 18:54
Fhuesc

Written by Herzebeth on 26.01.2008 at 08:50

LOL you're part of the 88% of the population who doesn't understand or bare David Lynch...cool...

That dude makes pure shit. It's like king midas, but instead of gold touch, it's crap touch.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
29.01.2008 - 22:48
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Absolutely agreed! This album is one of the best of 2007!
02.02.2008 - 16:32
FOOCK Nam

"this is simply the most coherent incarnation of modern metal out there", this would beat out metalcore which also symbols for modern metal
17.11.2008 - 00:37
Rating: 9
benvolent

Wow, this blew me away! They've developed a lot since Aeolitan. This is a 90 minutes powertrip!

Can't wait to see them..
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
28.11.2008 - 08:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I've heard nothing but good things about this album...might be worthy checking out. Guess I'll start with the myspace.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.12.2008 - 19:19
duro

Written by Fhuesc on 26.01.2008 at 18:54

Written by Herzebeth on 26.01.2008 at 08:50

That dude makes pure shit. It's like king midas, but instead of gold touch, it's crap touch.

hahahaha "crap touch" hahahha

i will listen to the album, if it's like lynch i will probably like and dislike it at the same time (if that's possible)
24.11.2009 - 13:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 24.01.2008 at 13:29

this is not sooo amazing as it seems.
the first cd is some average hardcore and the 2n cd is sometimes genious but most of the time quite boring

Said everything. That CD1 is just a waste of cool song titles. A shame.

The CD2 has very good moments, that by itself turns buying this album worthy.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 12120 | This month: 8