06. Irminsul - Vinterskald
07. Slechtvalk - On The Eve Of Battle
08. Folkearth - The Riding Of The Queen Boudiccea
09. Theudho - The Journey To Lyngvi
10. Alkonost - Darkness
11. Slartibartfass - St. Cuthbert
12. Skyforger - A Crested Bird Sings
13. Sirocco - Forsaken Shorespositio

This is, as the title gives away, already the fourth volume of the Metal Message compilation series. This series is based on the Viking, Pagan and Black/Folk genres, and offers you various international bands from these genres. The album coverart is done by Fournier (shows "Druid's summoning of Celtic god Cernunnos within the cauldron"), and the cd-label who released it is called Verwimp. This time, there are thirteen different "hordes" gathered to get your blood pumping and to raise your sword with. Now, let's have a closer look, shall we?

First of are Gjenferdsel, a Norwegian ensemble with their roots firmly in Black Metal. A bit of folk influence seeps through as well, and makes itself visible mostly in the guitar riffs. This may be a bit one-dimensional, but enjoyable nonetheless. Then comes Forefather, quite possible the best known of the bunch, and they are enjoyable as always. With their self-dubbed "Anglo-Saxon Metal", they pay homage to their forefathers with their heathen hymns. Up next are Tharaphita and Galar, both drawing influences from Moonsorrow, and Oakenshield, a rather shameless rip-off from Temnozor, especially when the flute comes out. All three bands are doing what has been done a thousand times before, but do it good enough to please the fans. Fans of flutes, acoustic passages and slightly harsh vocals should also check out Irminsul and Folkearth.

The presence of Dutch Christian Black Metal band Slechtvalk seems rather odd at first, but their melodic and catchy Black Metal with symphonic touches is not bad at all, so why not? The same musical qualities can be described to the Belgian Theudo. The tenth band in line, the Russian Alkonost leans heavily on their female vocalist. You either like your metal this way, or you do not. The folkish Slartibartfass revolve around the unique sound of the bagpipes, and as such, they sound more Scottish than Scandinavian to me.

Quite probably the most known band of them all is the Latvian Skyforger. They provided a rather mellow track in comparison to the others, floating on the clean male vocalist. A good track, but fans of Viking metal should already be familiar with them. Closing off is the Irish Sirocco. Their vocalist reminds me of James Hetfield in his later years. The music itself is also based on Heavy Metal rather than Black Metal, which is usual in the genre.

All in all, this compilation does what it should do, to bring the smaller bands to the surface. I didn't want to focus on my own opinion on the music, as it is up to you to decide what you think of it. I hope I've given enough explanation about each band and that you are able to pick those that match your taste.

For more information: www.metalmessage.de

Written on 24.01.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 117 users
25.01.2008 - 06:35
Herzebeth
where's the tracklist?
----
25.01.2008 - 07:24
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Is that supposed to be a deer in a cauldron?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
25.01.2008 - 07:53
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Somebody should release a compilation called "Metal Massage", with oriental themed metal.
I'd buy that!
25.01.2008 - 07:58
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
sounds good, but there should be a tracklist somewhere on this page
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
25.01.2008 - 08:39
Bararey
Winter is Coming
elite
I bought the album because I liked the cover art

EDIT: removed tracklist.
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
25.01.2008 - 08:40
Herzebeth
Written by jupitreas on 25.01.2008 at 07:53

Somebody should release a compilation called "Metal Massage", with oriental themed metal.
I'd buy that!

second that...

it could include a nice guide to the best teas and all that stuff as well...

compilations are so boring nowadays, if someone doesn't release that massage album Jupi was talking about, or something with at least half the quality, people will start listening to Cradle Of Filth
----
25.01.2008 - 08:43
Herzebeth
Written by Bararey on 25.01.2008 at 08:39

I bought the album because I liked the cover art

here is the tracklist (until Nervel edits his review)

13. Forsaken Shores - Sirocco

There's a goregrind band that has a song called "Foreskin Whores", I wonder if they are related with Sirocco as it sounds similar in phonetics
----
25.01.2008 - 18:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Oops, totally forgot about the tracklist! Thanks Bararey, for posting it in the meanwhile.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.01.2008 - 21:03
Rupert
Written by jupitreas on 25.01.2008 at 07:53

I'd buy that!

That's a damned good idea.
26.01.2008 - 05:13
Bararey
Winter is Coming
elite
No problem

I gave the CD yesterday several listens, I really liked "The Riding Of The Queen Boudiccea," "St. Cuthbert" by Folkearth by Slartibartfass and "Darkness" by Alkonost
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
02.02.2008 - 16:12
FOOCK Nam
Nice stuff, but seems hard for me to find, rarest album I have heard.

Hits total: 6311 | This month: 4