Metal Storm logo
The Drone Thread

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 31.01.2008 - 17:58
Finally what we always wanted, the ultimate thread about Drone. I figured since most of the Drone-related threads die a quick and painless death, somebody should do something about it!

So discuss Drone in all it's forms and shapes here, for it is a great genre. Let me start with some of my fav. bands:

The Angelic Process: Due to their nature of Drone/Doom and their awesomeness, I've included them in here. "Weighing Souls With Sand" was a frikking masterpiece and their "Coma Waering" is great too. Absolutely amazing stuff, in my opinion, though I might have overplayed it a little. Full review here..

Hjarnidaudi: Another amazing band. Their (his) debut album will schorch your balls off, so much heat is present on this album. One of my favourite bands atm and certainly one of my most-played. Full review here..

Hlidolf: The former version of Hjarnidaudi. Same dude, different music. The only album, V01D", is a collosal astral space trip, and a long one too. Seventy minutes of pure void-music, hard to digest, but good.

Furthermore I have ordered two more Drone albums, which I cannot wait to hear: "Fulci - Dead Sky/Red Lights" (more Drone Rock, I believe) and "Hyatari - The Light Carriers". I'll post my opinion on them here, hopefully soon!
01.07.2012 - 18:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 30.06.2012 at 14:53

Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.06.2012 at 05:48

Skull Flower

Do you also listen to Dark Throne?

>:C

That band Death Spell Omega is pretty good too.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2012 - 18:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2012 at 18:30

That band Death Spell Omega is pretty good too.

*winces*

It's like shards of glass being driven into my brain.
01.07.2012 - 22:09
IronAngel

Anyone got recommendations of beautiful drone, even better if it's with vocals? I'm thinking stuff like The Angelic Process, some of Nadja's work, or Planning for Burial (insofar as they aren't simply post-rock). Shimmering walls of sound, soaring melodies, stuff like that. Even Menace Ruine (The Die is Cast, that is) could be a point of reference. There's always Jesu too, I suppose.
01.07.2012 - 22:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by IronAngel on 01.07.2012 at 22:09

Anyone got recommendations of beautiful drone, even better if it's with vocals? I'm thinking stuff like The Angelic Process, some of Nadja's work, or Planning for Burial (insofar as they aren't simply post-rock). Shimmering walls of sound, soaring melodies, stuff like that. Even Menace Ruine (The Die is Cast, that is) could be a point of reference. There's always Jesu too, I suppose.

Well, i haven't heard much new stuff lately, I've mostly been going over the major ones you listed, but I did post a space rock band in the Non-Metal recs section.

Not really drone, but it could keep you satisfied until someone else posts
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
01.07.2012 - 23:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 01.07.2012 at 22:09

Might be quite a random rec, but have you tried anything by Jessica Bailiff? Slowcore apparently but I probably wouldn't be able to recognise what is and isn't slowcore, I imagine that's an area you're quite familiar with though. To Kill A Petty Bourgeoisie might do nice things for you too (The Patron is a very nice noisy/droney/shoegazey record of beautiful persuasion.)

Fuck Buttons are also great. What drone/noise sounds like when it's made by an indie band (in my head anyway). 'Street Horrrsing' is a great record.
01.07.2012 - 23:38
IronAngel

Haha, I'm easy to please. I knew the latter two by name (and actually had heard some Fuck Buttons remixes), but never checked them out. I like all three, but especially Jessica Bailiff is the bomb. Not on the same level of immense as The Angelic Process for example (I doubt there's anything quite like that anywhere), but very enjoyable.
01.07.2012 - 23:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 01.07.2012 at 23:38

Haha, I'm easy to please. I knew the latter two by name (and actually had heard some Fuck Buttons remixes), but never checked them out. I like all three, but especially Jessica Bailiff is the bomb. Not on the same level of immense as The Angelic Process for example (I doubt there's anything quite like that anywhere), but very enjoyable.

Yeah I couldn't think of anything quite like TAP unfortunately.

Also, now I finally remembered her name: Rose Kemp. I'm not all that familiar with her music but she's somehow garnered a profile on metal archives for incorporating drone into what seems like otherwise singer-songwriter/folky stuff. It's pretty eclectic from what I remember and something I imagine you would dig, but probably not in a particularly similar vein to the requested artists.
25.07.2012 - 16:25
Abattoir

Lately, while I was browsing thorugh Solitude prod., I came across on band called Dispersive Light - Dispersive Light. It's ambient/drone and this is their debut album. Probably I'm going to include this one in my order package from Solitude Productions.

Check out this stuff over here.
14.02.2013 - 13:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Was bored of no one ever uploading anything from what is probably my favourite drone record ever onto Youtube, so I did it myself. To me this is a perfect album, and prefect balance of drone, noise and dark ambient. Strange, creepy, cavernous and immense.

25.02.2013 - 18:35
The Turbanator

Just need a little bit of your time. Found this 11 hours long drone track. Hope you enjoy it!

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
25.02.2013 - 19:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by The Turbanator on 25.02.2013 at 18:35

Just need a little bit of your time. Found this 11 hours long drone track. Hope you enjoy it!

Yeah this is a good band, and from the city I live in. Haven't heard this one though.
25.02.2013 - 21:34
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 14.02.2013 at 13:00

Was bored of no one ever uploading anything from what is probably my favourite drone record ever onto Youtube, so I did it myself. To me this is a perfect album, and prefect balance of drone, noise and dark ambient. Strange, creepy, cavernous and immense.

*Robedoor videos

I'm in love
25.02.2013 - 21:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 25.02.2013 at 21:34

I'm in love

Sadly Robedoor never made an album quite like this again, but the collab they did with Pocahaunted (called 'Hunted Gathering') is equally as good I'd say, though slightly different.
25.02.2013 - 22:01
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 25.02.2013 at 21:58

Sadly Robedoor never made an album quite like this again, but the collab they did with Pocahaunted (called 'Hunted Gathering') is equally as good I'd say.

Given the length of their discography I was hoping there would be a few more gems in there, if what you say is true then that's a shame. I'll definitely be checking out Pocahanted once I'm done spamming the refresh button on the Rancor Keeper videos
25.02.2013 - 22:07
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 25.02.2013 at 22:01

Given the length of their discography I was hoping there would be a few more gems in there, if what you say is true then that's a shame. I'll definitely be checking out Pocahanted once I'm done spamming the refresh button on the Rancor Keeper videos

Robedoor do have some very nice albums, just nothing quite as noisy and cavernous as this. They went toward a more droning psychedelic noise rock direction. Pocahaunted are a bit different in style but quite good nonetheless. I'd definitely check out 'Island Diamonds' if you like what you hear on 'Hunted Gathering'.
25.02.2013 - 22:31
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Guest on 25.02.2013 at 22:07

Written by Alex F on 25.02.2013 at 22:01

Robedoor do have some very nice albums, just nothing quite as noisy and cavernous as this. They went toward a more droning psychedelic noise rock direction. Pocahaunted are a bit different in style but quite good nonetheless. I'd definitely check out 'Island Diamonds' if you like what you hear on 'Hunted Gathering'.

Droning psychedelic noise rock also sounds appealing. I'm listening to various tracks off Hunted Gathering on youtube right now and I certainly like what I'm hearing. I think I've got the next few days booked now between Robedoor and Pocahaunted
25.02.2013 - 22:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alex F on 25.02.2013 at 22:31

Droning psychedelic noise rock also sounds appealing. I'm listening to various tracks off Hunted Gathering on youtube right now and I certainly like what I'm hearing. I think I've got the next few days booked now between Robedoor and Pocahaunted

There are definitely worse ways to spend a few days.
26.02.2013 - 00:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 14.02.2013 at 13:00
Strange, creepy, cavernous and immense.

Hmmmm, this is some very nice shit dude. Immense in a yo-momma scale.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.02.2013 - 00:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.02.2013 at 00:35

Hmmmm, this is some very nice shit dude. Immense in a yo-momma scale.

Well my momma does have an impressive scale 8]
26.02.2013 - 00:42
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 26.02.2013 at 00:39
Well my momma does have an impressive scale 8]

How do you know that? You sick bastard. Thanks for uploading it btw. I was hella lazy to search for it the first time I discovered it (thanks to your old avatar).
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.02.2013 - 15:23
The Turbanator

Written by Guest on 25.02.2013 at 19:45

Written by The Turbanator on 25.02.2013 at 18:35

Yeah this is a good band, and from the city I live in. Haven't heard this one though.

Yeah not bad! Their songs are pretty long. Also, the ones you upload before I did... amazing. I'm not a big fan of drone but that band just crushed the hell out of me haha.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
10.09.2013 - 13:54
mz

The main problem with styles like drone, dark ambient and noise is that it is really hard to find a link for download Considering the fact that we do not have spotify and also youtube does not properly works, it essentially means that there is no way to listen to most of artists in these genres ( I am trying to dl chaos is my name for more than 7 months now). That being said, I really like most of drony I've listened by now, including bands like TAP, Jesu, Bong, Earth, khanate . I definitely need to check the rest of discography of these bands. Also, drones were what made terra tenebrosa's debut so great for me, Too bad they left that path
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.09.2013 - 14:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 10.09.2013 at 13:54

The main problem with styles like drone, dark ambient and noise is that it is really hard to find a link for download Considering the fact that we do not have spotify and also youtube does not properly works, it essentially means that there is no way to listen to most of artists in these genres ( I am trying to dl chaos is my name for more than 7 months now). That being said, I really like most of drony I've listened by now, including bands like TAP, Jesu, Bong, Earth, khanate . I definitely need to check the rest of discography of these bands. Also, drones were what made terra tenebrosa's debut so great for me, Too bad they left that path

Either check on the likes of Spotify or Grooveshark, or get hold of Soulseek, which I still use to download bands that are impossible to find on blogs etc.
10.09.2013 - 16:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 10.09.2013 at 15:19

haha the name soulseek sent me back to my early age of digging metal when I used to find anything metal from there, some albums took a month to get them.I didn't know that it's still useful for finding rare albums.

Yep, it's very old fashioned now and a bit unreliable as people still seem to offline half-way through a download, but the advantage of it is is that if an album has been released then 99% of the time you'll find it on there. Even more useful these days since Megaupload has gone down, taking how many hundreds of thousands of albums with it.
12.09.2013 - 08:56
mz

Written by Guest on 10.09.2013 at 14:47

Either check on the likes of Spotify or Grooveshark, or get hold of Soulseek, which I still use to download bands that are impossible to find on blogs etc.

thanks man, I a m trying to find out how it works. Seems like the exact solution for my download problems
----
12.09.2013 - 08:56
mz

Written by Guest on 10.09.2013 at 14:47

thanks man, I a m trying to find out how it works. Seems like the exact solution for my download problems
----
14.03.2014 - 12:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Just rediscovered this. Amazing stuff indeed. Kinda what The Bees Made Honey... and Desire In Uneasiness might sound like if they had a baby.

Cathartic stuff.
21.03.2014 - 02:57
Varituuk

My solo band Varituuk has some drone metal. I play instrumental Black/Doom/Noise with a lot of droning passages. The discography is free (pay what you want, $0 or more), so feel free to share it with your readers or friends.

http://varituuk.bandcamp.com

Demos D, E, and G are probably the most "drone" of the discography.

Reviews appreciated, but not expected.
----
24.03.2014 - 23:22
mz

Written by Varituuk on 21.03.2014 at 02:57

My solo band Varituuk has some drone metal. I play instrumental Black/Doom/Noise with a lot of droning passages. The discography is free (pay what you want, $0 or more), so feel free to share it with your readers or friends.

Demos D, E, and G are probably the most "drone" of the discography.

Reviews appreciated, but not expected.

I listened to Gamogenesis. It was actually good enough I would personally like to hear some BM vocals, though.
Ah also, you can suggest your band to MS database.
----
25.03.2014 - 02:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I listened to most of your discog, Varituuk . I forgot to comment but I was deeply impressed with all your stuff I heard. You have a great grasp of layers with regards to your droning noisy stuff (a lot of bands that tout that kind of thing are little more than unsaturated walls of clumsy feedback with no control) and your black metal stuff was great also. Raw and rough but also deep in tone and texture with nice subtle use of melody. You clearly know what you're doing. I'll definitely throw some business your way come pay day.