Metal Storm logo
Science Fiction

02.02.2008 - 08:03
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I was just editing my profile listing favorite books of mine, and I realized I love reading Science Fiction. I just thought I'd create this thread for any lovers of Sci Fi out there, or anyone who wants to get into it. Discuss it, recommend it, love it! I have a ton of favorites, just check my profile. I'm planning on reading these sometime:

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
The Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells
Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Dune by Frank Herbert
Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Just to name a few. By the way if anyone has read any of these, feel free to discuss some, just don't spoil them for me. I'm always up for new books too.
----
The force will be with you, always.
16.02.2008 - 13:04
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
if i'm not mistaken L. Ron Hubbard is the founder of scientology?

well it doesnt have spaceships and all in it, but i suppose it belongs here anyway
i read 1984 by George Orwell a few days ago and i was really impressed by it actually, the story wasnt new to me and i remembered reading a very simialar ones a couple of years ago (must be at least 4 years ago so i cant remember the details, i think it was called 'this perfect day') but still it was an astonishing good read

"if you want a picture of the future, imagine an army boot stomping on a human face, forever"
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
17.02.2008 - 13:28
Torelli
Written by Clintagräm on 02.02.2008 at 08:03

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

This is one of my fav books of all time, regardless of gengre. It focus on complex social issues, more than anything. It also focus on gender, or lack of gender, since the majority of the caracters involved are androgynes. I strongly recomend it.

Btw, has anyone read the series od Otherland by Tad Williams? It felt a little cheesy at first, but it grows on you. I like all the refrenses to the bush men an the fact is that many important caracters are africans. That's is not something you see in sience fiction everyday.
17.02.2008 - 13:50
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
my most favorite sci-fi is the series about Karl Sten by Alan Cole and Chris Bunch...genius work

and then i have also enjoyed the trilogy about Han Solo by A. C. Crispin
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.02.2008 - 17:37
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat

One of my fav.- books ever. HE really gets you into teh military system and how it works (in teh future), and his descriptions are so amazing! I've read it 4 times
I couldn't help to think in StarCraft as I read it... maybe the poeple of Blizzard took element from teh book?

HEy how about Ray Bradbury? Teh Illustrated man, MAartian Chronicles and way more, he's one of the biggest sci-fi writers ever.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
19.02.2008 - 20:24
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 19.02.2008 at 17:37

One of my fav.- books ever. HE really gets you into teh military system and how it works (in teh future), and his descriptions are so amazing! I've read it 4 times
I couldn't help to think in StarCraft as I read it... maybe the poeple of Blizzard took element from teh book?

HEy how about Ray Bradbury? Teh Illustrated man, MAartian Chronicles and way more, he's one of the biggest sci-fi writers ever.

Yeah, I've read Fahrenheit 451 and while it's not typical Sci Fi, it was still good book. I'd definitely like to read more of him sometime.
----
19.02.2008 - 20:31
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Clintagräm on 19.02.2008 at 20:24

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 19.02.2008 at 17:37

Yeah, I've read Fahrenheit 451 and while it's not typical Sci Fi, it was still good book. I'd definitely like to read more of him sometime.

You have to read teh two I mentioned. Those are his masterpieces, says everyone. There's even a movie for Teh Illustrated Man.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.02.2008 - 05:23
Valhalen
Account deleted
I haven't read a lot of Science Fiction, but from the few books I have read I'd say that my favorite author is Isaac Asimov. I strongly believe that Asimov had some sort of factory inside his head. Why? He managed to connect most of his books. Say you're reading Prelude to Foundation and Hari Seldon starts to talk about the Three Laws of the Robots, so you have to read I Robot to fully understand the story. Later on you're reading The End of Eternity and somehow you realize that the Eternity ended to leave his place to the Galactic Empire (which is mentioned on Foundation). So far, I considered Asimov as the J.R.R Tolkien of Science Fiction.
20.03.2008 - 03:19
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Arthur C. Clarke (author of '2001: A Space Odyssey' and others) died today March 19th, 2008. A terrible loss for science fiction and the world in general. He will live on!
----
20.03.2008 - 09:53
Tony Harrison
I have no arms..
Written by Clintagräm on 20.03.2008 at 03:19

Arthur C. Clarke (author of '2001: A Space Odyssey' and others) died today March 19th, 2008. A terrible loss for science fiction and the world in general. He will live on!

Definately, he was a true visionary. I remember picking up his Rama books when I was a kid and got completely hooked! I hear they are even set to turn one of them into a film starring Morgan Freeman, I only hope that they can do the books justice!
----
This is an outrage...
23.11.2009 - 02:02
I have to admit that sci fi is something I more dabble in as opposed to read constantly. As such I haven't actually read any of the books listed in the first post, or any others in this forum. I shall take those as recommendations and work from there.

I am a HUGE fan of Philip K Dick's work. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? is a personal favourite of mine (much better than that AWFUL movie), and I also enjoyed VALIS and The Man in the high Castle. Also, if you enjoy being horribly confused by a book, then I recommend The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldrich. I plan on reading it at least three more times in order to grasp what is actually going on.

Also quite enjoy Kurt Vonnegut's work, although not all of his is totally science fiction. Slaughterhouse V is one of the best books ever written, and I loved Cat's Cradle and Breakfast of Champions. His work is notoriously hard to find however.

Salutations!
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
27.11.2009 - 21:09
MetallicA
I freakin love the Warhammer 40k novels. They're written by alot of different authors.

I even have the Chaos Star with the Eye of Horus tattooed in the center of my upper back...it came straight out of the 4th Edition Chaos Space Marines codex...if any of you are nerds, then you should know exactly what I'm talking about!
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.