Metal Storm logo
Question about "Add Similar Bands" Feature

04.02.2008 - 21:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
my question is simple - how this option exactly works

i have added band Operatika as similar to Nightwish at least a week ago (maybe longer), but it still hadn´t appeared...but when i added Nightwish as similar to Delain, it appeared immedeately (the number in bracket behind band name was increased by one)...

i know, since Operatika wasn´t in the list, someone has to check it first, if it is for real and not any abuse of the feature...but how long does this check take? and will i be noticed, if my addition was accepted or declined?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

04.02.2008 - 21:51
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Ellrohir on 04.02.2008 at 21:25

my question is simple - how this option exactly works

i have added band Operatika as similar to Nightwish at least a week ago (maybe longer), but it still hadn´t appeared...but when i added Nightwish as similar to Delain, it appeared immedeately (the number in bracket behind band name was increased by one)...

i know, since Operatika wasn´t in the list, someone has to check it first, if it is for real and not any abuse of the feature...but how long does this check take? and will i be noticed, if my addition was accepted or declined?

Only 7 bands are displayed. If all of them have more votes, the band you added won't appear until it gathers additional points.
04.02.2008 - 21:52
Damnated
Churchburner
i also have a question regarding this matter. is everyone allowed to add similar bands? because it is being abused.

check Watain for example. Similar bands:

Mayhem (1)
Emperor (1)
Burzum (1)
Immortal (1)
Dissection (1)
Satyricon (1)
Gorgoroth (1)

the only band that is similar is Dissection. The other bands play black metal, that's true, but just beacuse 2 bands play black metal doesn't mean that they're similar. The same thing is available for Mayhem, Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum, Immortal and Satyricon. Thes0e bands musically have almost nothing in common. this site is not about n00bs. This should be corrected.

And i'm sure that these are not the only examples.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.02.2008 - 22:18
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 04.02.2008 at 21:52

i also have a question regarding this matter. is everyone allowed to add similar bands? because it is being abused.

check Watain for example. Similar bands:

Mayhem (1)
Emperor (1)
Burzum (1)
Immortal (1)
Dissection (1)
Satyricon (1)
Gorgoroth (1)

the only band that is similar is Dissection. The other bands play black metal, that's true, but just beacuse 2 bands play black metal doesn't mean that they're similar. The same thing is available for Mayhem, Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum, Immortal and Satyricon. Thes0e bands musically have almost nothing in common. this site is not about n00bs. This should be corrected.

And i'm sure that these are not the only examples.

Fortunately some of us are responsible users though I've thought out all my additions, at least. I don't think I've come across any I'd question, but then again, I didn't see this example until you mentioned it, there's bound to be more indeed.
04.02.2008 - 22:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
All we can do is add more similar bands so those disappear.
----
04.02.2008 - 22:22
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
w8 - that means there is no "admin control" about what the users are adding
----

04.02.2008 - 22:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
I don't think that's necessary right now. The feature is new, let's wait and see how it turns out.

Hey, why not change it to "Recommended bands" or something like that? Then it would be less confusing IMO. Take for example Opeth and Dream Theater, they don't sound alike at all... but as a fan of Progressive Metal you often appreciate both. I think that would be better.

Other examples:
Wintersun - Ensiferum
Children of Bodom - In Flames
Iron Maiden - Metallica
Sepultura - Slayer
Bathory - Týr
----
04.02.2008 - 23:59
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Warman on 04.02.2008 at 22:26

Hey, why not change it to "Recommended bands" or something like that? Then it would be less confusing IMO. Take for example Opeth and Dream Theater, they don't sound alike at all... but as a fan of Progressive Metal you often appreciate both. I think that would be better.

Recommended bands will be spammed heavily with absolutely everything... Anyway, soon I'll add the option to 'minus' similar bands, thus removing their points.
05.02.2008 - 01:54
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ivan on 04.02.2008 at 23:59

Written by Warman on 04.02.2008 at 22:26

Recommended bands will be spammed heavily with absolutely everything... Anyway, soon I'll add the option to 'minus' similar bands, thus removing their points.

Okay, sounds good.
----
05.02.2008 - 01:58
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Anyway, soon I'll add the option to 'minus' similar bands, thus removing their points.
Fantastic idea! I can't wait to crush the association between Megadeth and Deep Purple.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
05.02.2008 - 04:46
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Syk on 05.02.2008 at 01:58

Anyway, soon I'll add the option to 'minus' similar bands, thus removing their points.
Fantastic idea! I can't wait to crush the association between Megadeth and Deep Purple.

And I guess you were the one that put the association between Wargasm and Metallica there?
05.02.2008 - 11:35
Ivan
Retired Admin
OK, it's done.
05.02.2008 - 13:42
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ivan on 05.02.2008 at 11:35
OK, it's done.
Good job man. If there's a number of bands with the same amount of "similar votes", and they don't all fit in the 7 slots, will they randomize which ones are shown? And since I can't be stuffed testing it out, if someone adds a band with one vote and then someone else removes it, is the first person able to put it back on? (And can you remove votes that you added yourself?)

And Warman, what do you think is the purpose of the "Fans of this band also like:" part?
----

05.02.2008 - 13:49
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Syk on 05.02.2008 at 13:42

Written by Ivan on 05.02.2008 at 11:35
OK, it's done.
Good job man. If there's a number of bands with the same amount of "similar votes", and they don't all fit in the 7 slots, will they randomize which ones are shown? And since I can't be stuffed testing it out, if someone adds a band with one vote and then someone else removes it, is the first person able to put it back on? (And can you remove votes that you added yourself?)

Can't randomize them, sorry - they're only updated when someone votes. As for removing votes, here's how it works:
- You can't delete other people's votes, you just place a vote with '-1' points.
- If you've already voted '+' and then click '-' afterwards, your previous vote is deleted. You can then click '-' again to place a '-1' vote.
05.02.2008 - 18:01
Warman
Erotic Stains
@Syk: You're right.

Ivan, you really nailed it this time. I didn't think this feature would work at first, until now!
----
06.02.2008 - 03:05
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ivan on 05.02.2008 at 13:49
- You can't delete other people's votes, you just place a vote with '-1' points.
Sorry, in my second question, instead of "someone else removes it" I should have said "someone else returns the vote counter to 0"
----

09.02.2008 - 14:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
by the band Alestorm i found the mistake, that the similar band Turisas is written with small first letter ("turisas") so it is not properly linked...can't this be fixed?
----

09.02.2008 - 14:44
Thryce
Retired Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 09.02.2008 at 14:23

by the band Alestorm i found the mistake, that the similar band Turisas is written with small first letter ("turisas") so it is not properly linked...can't this be fixed?

I added "Turisas" and it fixed itself.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
09.02.2008 - 14:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
lol...thats nice
----

14.01.2009 - 15:15
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Back to Damnated's point, "Someone's band" is listed with 3 points as a band similar to Metallica. Can this be fixed?

(Also capitalization is still an issue, see Anathema, Nile and Suffocation. Is this something up with which we'll just have to put?)
----

14.01.2009 - 16:45
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Syk on 14.01.2009 at 15:15

Back to Damnated's point, "Someone's band" is listed with 3 points as a band similar to Metallica. Can this be fixed?

(Also capitalization is still an issue, see Anathema, Nile and Suffocation. Is this something up with which we'll just have to put?)

Fixed Metallica. Capitalization is fixed easily - just add the band with proper capitalization and it'll change.
14.01.2009 - 16:52
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Ivan on 14.01.2009 at 16:45
Capitalization is fixed easily - just add the band with proper capitalization and it'll change
Tried that for Torture Killer on Six Feet Under but it ain't workin', so I just killed it right off. Does it work for you? (and the other 3 I mentioned - I can't kill off)

edit after v - weird, still not working for me... edit after < - weird, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
----

14.01.2009 - 16:59
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Syk on 14.01.2009 at 16:52

Written by Ivan on 14.01.2009 at 16:45
Capitalization is fixed easily - just add the band with proper capitalization and it'll change
Tried that for Torture Killer on Six Feet Under but it ain't workin', so I just killed it right off. Does it work for you? (and the other 3 I mentioned - I can't kill off)

Worked with Anathema and Suffocation...