Metal Storm logo
What band have you played out?

Original post

Posted by LeChron James, 06.02.2008 - 12:31
Have you ever liked a band so much that you're now sick of them? if so, who? discuss.
16.04.2014 - 05:55
Dr.Overkill26

Definitely Opeth, Metallica, Nile, and Rush. Also NIN, but just the Downward Spiral.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
13.05.2014 - 00:11
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I used to be a huge fan of Disturbed and System of a Down back in the day, and have probably listened to their albums so much that I can replay each one in my head without missing a single note or lyric. And I'm really sick of them; especially since my taste in music has evolved to a fantastically large degree since those many years ago. I can listen to them for nostalgic value, but that's it. I can't really get into those songs any more.
----
14.05.2014 - 12:45
Schizoid6.6

I've probably played Lamb of God out at first before my collection grew.
15.05.2014 - 00:55
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
There is no real band i feel l can't listen to any more because of overplaying. It's more my tastes change and the subgenre is less important to me. It's pretty much most genres besides Doom for me. There is usually a couple of songs i can still play over and over, has to be catchy though. Listening to entire albums though? No.
23.05.2014 - 14:42
Jtbmetal123

Slipknot for sure.
23.05.2014 - 16:16
Wingtorte

I don't think there's any band that I've "outplayed." Many of my favourites today I've been listening to for 14-15 years and still love them and listen to them fairly frequently. Transilvanian Hunger, Det som en gang var, Deathcrush still do it for me, and sometimes when listening to stuff like that it kind of takes you back a bit to when you first heard it. Love that giddy nostalgic feeling when you pop in a particular album Meanwhile stuff like Slayer's Show No Mercy I've been listening to for over 15 years and still haven't "outplayed" it either. Might not listen to it every day or near as much as I used to before, but I think that's bound to happen the more music you discover and have available to listen to. Not sure I can really outplay anything I genuinely like/enjoy, to be honest.

Then there are some albums that seem interesting on the first listen, then you go back to it another few times and the original appeal fades very quickly and leaves you wondering about first impressions and how impressions can change so fast after a few listens. Found that with Deathspell Omega's Si Monvmentvm... and Funeral Mist's Salvation. When the albums were first released I thought they might have potential, but that whole wave of "orthodox" black metal post-Mysterion Tes Anomias just didn't stand the test of time for me. After a few spins I found that really the only thing that had made those albums initially sound interesting at all atmosphere-wise was the samples, meanwhile the actual music itself wasn't particularly good to begin with. So not so much "outplaying" it as much as a person being able to pick up on more past the first impression.
25.05.2014 - 06:37
Jericho Rehling

In five years, I would say that the only band I've played out has been Amon Amarth; I've simply listened to their albums so often I don't find myself feeling the urge to listen to them very often. I still enjoy their music, and whenever they come up in a random shuffle I still think they're excellent and enjoy listening.
27.08.2014 - 06:33
Kennoth

I'm not really sick of them, but I definitely overplayed Korn to death, and the fact that they keep releasing shit definitely doesn't help.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
27.08.2014 - 06:38
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Protest The Hero is one, I listened to Fortress and Kezia sooooo many times. I can sing every single song from each album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.08.2014 - 06:52
EnterDeath24601
Account deleted
I have definitely overplayed Scar Symmetry (their first three albums at least). I'm not quite tired of them yet, but I feel as though I will get sick of their music soon, and to avoid that, I'm trying not to listen to it as much.
10.09.2014 - 23:39
rockyourmetaloff

Machine head the blackening. listened to it solidly for about the past three months.
----
Visit my metal/rock blog- <a href="rockyourmetaloff.blogspot.co.uk">rockyourmetaloff</a>
22.10.2014 - 22:52
EntombedRainfall

I actually feel I have played out a lot of stuff over the years or, perhaps more accurately, I've "outgrown" it or gotten bored with it or whatever. I used to listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and the like constantly when I was a young lad and I think I could go the rest of my life without hearing any of those bands again. No, I don't think the music is bad or anything, I've just heard it so much that the desire is permanently gone. I also went through a power metal phase in my early to mid-teens that I don't think I will ever be revisiting either. I guess it comes down to really understanding one's own tastes and embracing them accordingly when they've become more "refined" and understood internally.
19.07.2016 - 22:17
Enteroctopus

Testament, although I'll do a thrash mix every now and then and the random Testament track is good. Production is just bleh on a lot of it, though. Especially Souls of Black has poop production. Makes it hard to listen to.