Metal Storm logo
Arrested Development vs. Family Guy

Original post

Posted by Introspekrieg, 09.02.2008 - 00:46
Both comedies aired on FOX, and both were eventually canceled. Family Guy was originally cancelled for multiple reasons, including decreasing ratings and nervousness about the show's racy jokes, but was resurrected by strong DVD sales and Adult Swim ratings. This rebroadcast hindered production of the second season of Arrested Development with FOX's new focus on milking the Family Guy cash cow. With no network support, cuts in advertising, and multiple schedule changes, the critical acclaim of Arrested Development was not enough to keep it afloat, ratings began to decrease and eventually the show was pulled.
I personally feel like Arrested Development is an extremely underrated show that deserved more success than it received, and that Family Guy is overrated although often funny.

What do YOU think?

Poll

Which of these canceled FOX shows is better?

Arrested Development
Family Guy

Total votes: 37
13.10.2011 - 11:11
whatsacow

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 10:51

Written by whatsacow on 13.10.2011 at 10:30
And most importantly of all: It isn't a friends wannabe.

Hey! There isn't anything wrong with Friends. >>

There isn't anything wrong with friends. The millions of friends imitators out there are annoying though. The only decent one is how i met your mother.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
13.10.2011 - 21:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by whatsacow on 13.10.2011 at 11:11
There isn't anything wrong with friends. The millions of friends imitators out there are annoying though. The only decent one is how i met your mother.

Okay I thought I was gonna hafta bust some skulls.

As for How I Met... I dunno. I watched a few episodes but never laughed. No different than Two and a Half Men or the Big Bang Theory. New sitcoms just don't work for me.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 00:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 21:45

As for How I Met... I dunno. I watched a few episodes but never laughed. No different than Two and a Half Men or the Big Bang Theory. New sitcoms just don't work for me.

depends which episodes you watch. and which characters that episode centers around. Barney is awesome, the canuck Robin is as well. although this season it is increasingly a clone of later seasons of Friends, when that show went from ok to just a fucking soap opera.

at least HIMYM has a shelf life. they planned out an exit strategy to end the show (i think this season) rather than drag it on long after the expiration date.

cannot wait to see the short run of AD whenever it comes out again.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.10.2011 - 05:34
Mattybu

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 21:45

Yes, I agree completely! Laughed maybe not once watching 3-5 episodes of How I met Your Mother back when they played it on G4 (thankfully that is back to The Office in that time slot). Two and A Half Men is not great either and The Big Bang Theory, I just hate that one. It's like, Sheldon guy says some really long nerdy sentence, most forced laughtrack I've heard, jewish guy says something, somewhat shorter forced laughtrack, girl shows up and has some attitude, another laughtrack, repeat. While my laughter is kept to a very low level.
15.10.2011 - 05:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Mattybu on 15.10.2011 at 05:34
While my laughter is kept to a very low level.

Very low to none whatsoever.

Nice summary of the show by the way... Reading that description out loud made me realize just how banal the show really is. Not that I was praising it to begin with.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.10.2011 - 05:42
Mattybu

Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.10.2011 at 05:38

Written by Mattybu on 15.10.2011 at 05:34
While my laughter is kept to a very low level.

Very low to none whatsoever.

Nice summary of the show by the way... Reading that description out loud made me realize just how banal the show really is. Not that I was praising it to begin with.

It comes off as a product to me, like the ingredients are packaged together like Coca-Cola and served chilled. But I guess I could see some people liking it, if you can relate to humor.

Sadly, I can sometimes and I think to myself, please, I am kinda nerdy but please I don't want to be like any of these people