Metal Storm logo
Opinions wanted on this preview

09.02.2008 - 11:57
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I haven't played much guitar lately and it seems even longer since I tried to write anything new, as I've been focused with moving, practicing the drums and putting my home studio together.

But today I spent the better part of it playing around with this little track at home. The drums are programmed since I don't have the studio done yet, and this is just a preview of a work in progress.

It's fairly repetitive, and as I am listening to it now I realize that the mixing needs some more tuning. At roughly 4:04 into the song there is a third part without drums. After that I'll have another new piece where the drums will kick back in.

Let me know what you think everyone, suggestions welcome. Thanks and I appreciate anyone taking the time to take a listen.

Ah, the track is called "Urn". http://bitterdawn.metalhordes.com/it's the last track on the page.
09.02.2008 - 18:21
Sunioj
Overall, I like the sound of the song, and I agree that its repetitive, but thats normal for this genre eh? To bring out atmosphere, its good to emphasize drawing out the notes. But, the thing that I like about your song is the riffs, it sounds very anticipating, as if something is bound to change, I mean the passages sound good the way they are when they change from one to the other, but I think that a more contrasting change in key or mode/scale might vary things a bit more in the middle of the song before the change at 4:04 IMO.
09.02.2008 - 20:49
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Thanks Sunioj for the input. I'm glad that you had good things to say but you also provided constructive criticism/suggestions. I should have a bit of time today and I'll play around with some things, one of which being a subtle synth element.
09.02.2008 - 22:03
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
It definitely sounds great, I am actually wondering what drum program that is. I find it hard to have anything bad to say, maybe a little repetitive, but that is to be expected with rough drafts, and i enjoyed the nice "groove" to it. I like the buried keyboards in Emperor's older stuff and think that this could use some of that in the background, not sure if you play the keys in your music or not. Add some killer vox/lyrics to keep the "Urn" mood and you'll have yourself a kick ass track. Please PM whenever you have a finished product, I would love to hear it.
09.02.2008 - 22:16
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Introspekrieg on 09.02.2008 at 22:03

It definitely sounds great, I am actually wondering what drum program that is. I find it hard to have anything bad to say, maybe a little repetitive, but that is to be expected with rough drafts, and i enjoyed the nice "groove" to it. I like the buried keyboards in Emperor's older stuff and think that this could use some of that in the background, not sure if you play the keys in your music or not. Add some killer vox/lyrics to keep the "Urn" mood and you'll have yourself a kick ass track. Please PM whenever you have a finished product, I would love to hear it.

Thanks a bunch man. The drum program is EZ Drummer with the ezx_dfh plug-in, so that's the Drumkit From Hell plug-in. I have DFH 2 but I really dislike it and it hogs alot of memory. Maybe I'll listen to "Nightshade Eclipse" and "Wrath Of The Tyrant" to better see what you mean, the early Emperor is definitely my favourite of their work.
With any luck I'll be able to mic my drums since I just got some mics yesterday, and I'll get to try out my new interface/mixer. Real drums should sound better and I'll have a lot more freedom to add some variety in sound.
23.02.2008 - 02:47
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
http://www.metalhordes.com/bandprofiles.php?op=view&bid=2021 Still the last song on the bottom of the page.

Added a bridge after the Verse and Chorus, and a few other new parts such as an outro. The outro doesn't flow out as well as it should, but it will have to work for this preliminary. No synth yet, but it's in the works, and the track is currently up to 9:02 long.
22.03.2008 - 10:08
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Alright, I finally got everything instrument wise done. It's all been recorded through mic'd amps, and a mic'd drum kit by myself. Hopefully in the near future I'll have some decent lyrics written and then I can lay down some vocals for "Urn" but this will have to suffice in the mean time.

- http://bitterdawn.metalhordes.com/
- http://www.myspace.com/thebitterdawn