Metal Storm logo
The Four Horsemen (Metallica) vs Mechanix (Megadeth)

Original post

Posted by DIE_by_my_HAND, 17.05.2006 - 04:29
These two songs almost encapsulate the continuing battle between Megadeth, Metallica, and their fans. On the one hand you've got the origional "The Four Horsemen" on Metallica's debut "Kill 'Em All" album which was a speedy, furious epic about Hell's messengers. Now, you have to remember that Dave Mustaine was still in Metallica when The Four Horsement was written and had a part in writing it, so one can understand him being pissed off about being kicked out of the band right when it was on it's way up and wanting to write a "F**K YOU!" comeback song to get back at his former band. And sure enough, with Megadeth's first release, "Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good" came that song simply called "Mechanix" which had the exact same riffs as The Four Horsemen except for the altered intro.

Now, to me, both songs speak greatly of the fued between these two thrash bands, however, The Four Horsemen seems to be more controlled and clean, while Mechanix sounds a bit more sloppy, and rushed (due to its quicker tempo). The reason for this sound was probably Mustaine's being so anxious for his new bands debut to get out as quick as possible so it could compete with Kill 'Em All and possibly Metallica's next record. Regardless of it's rushed sound, you can definitely hear the anger in Mustaine's voice and even in his guitar playing, which makes it an all out angry, aggressive song.

Finally, my choice (since I'm being forced to chose) would have to be The Four Horsemen because of it's overall cleaner sound despite the emotion which is present in Mechanix.

Poll

The Four Horsemen or Mechanix?

The Four Horsemen
Mechanix

Total votes: 280
04.05.2008 - 15:00
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
The Four Horsemen is my favorite song in that album so i voted for it.
05.05.2008 - 07:30
Haightredy
Well, Dave Mustaine did write the song....
05.05.2008 - 14:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Haightredy on 05.05.2008 at 07:30

He co-wrote it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.05.2008 - 15:04
Hangar XVIII
The Horsemen Are Drawing Nearer
On Leather Steeds They Ride
They Come To Take Your Life
Off In The Dead Of Night
With The Four Horsemen Ride
Or CHOOSE YOUR FATE AND DIE
/m/ /m/
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
06.05.2008 - 14:56
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@DIE_by_my_HAND: Actually, the origional version was called Mechanix, Dave didn't just change the name for the hell of it.

But uh, yeah, I think I'm going with Mechanix. I dunno, the four horsmen is epic and all but I find Mechanix to be more enjoyable due to the humor of the theme.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
06.05.2008 - 15:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.05.2006 at 10:28

A little correction is in order here. Mechanix was released before it was called The Four Horsemen since Mechanix was the original title for the song, tMetallica only changed it into The Four Horsemen once Mustaine was kicked out. On Metallica's legendary No Life Till Leather demo the song was still called The Mechanix and sounded more like the version which was to later surface on Megadeth's Killing Is My Business album. I don't really have a preference for either one since I think they both kick ass. It was also featured on the Power Metal demo as The Mechanix, and that demo is from before No Life Till Leather.

Quoting myself in support of Arian's post just above mine here.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2008 - 10:02
freddie420666
honestly, megadeth is a good band. but i hate them. metallica are better at everything they do except for selling out. yeah, dave might have co-wrote it, keyword being "co", but so did james and lars. so personally i see it as dave being jealous of metallica's success with the four horseman and had to make an almost exact copy. if it would have been the other way around, metallica would have made an even better song. so needless to say im going with the four horseman.
02.08.2008 - 01:38
thesabbathfan
Personally, I think Megadeth's version is better because it's faster. I can't really headbang to the Four Horsemen.
----
02.08.2008 - 04:12
Metal_Militia
//Well id have to go with the Four Horsemen considering its the first metal song i actually heard, and what got me into metal. I guess you can chalk that up and say sentimental vote//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

03.08.2008 - 08:41
Antikristvs
Account deleted
Mechanix. Both great bands. I prefer Megadeth though.
13.08.2008 - 05:55
AICJunkie
Account deleted
Mechanix, seeing as how I prefer Megadeth over Metallica, it's to be expected that I'd prefer Mechanix over The Four Horsemen.
13.08.2008 - 18:16
Demonmayonnaise
Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 10:02

honestly, megadeth is a good band. but i hate them. metallica are better at everything they do except for selling out. yeah, dave might have co-wrote it, keyword being "co", but so did james and lars. so personally i see it as dave being jealous of metallica's success with the four horseman and had to make an almost exact copy. if it would have been the other way around, metallica would have made an even better song. so needless to say im going with the four horseman.

Let me get this straight. The original version of The Four Horseman is The Mechanix, and it was written by Dave before he was even in Metallica. The reason that James' and Lars' names are on the credits for the Four Horseman is because they altered the lyrics.
13.08.2008 - 19:53
freddie420666
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 13.08.2008 at 18:16

Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 10:02

Let me get this straight. The original version of The Four Horseman is The Mechanix, and it was written by Dave before he was even in Metallica. The reason that James' and Lars' names are on the credits for the Four Horseman is because they altered the lyrics.

okay. i didnt know he wrote the mechanix by himself before he was in Metallica. but still, i think instead of making a song with the same riff, but faster and different lyrics, he should have tried to write a whole different song with the same meaning but a more kickass riff. at least thats what i would have done. but if you put it like that, i would be extremely pissed at james and lars for stealing my shit also. i still choose The Four Horsemen over Mechanix because i prefer Metallica over Megadeth, but they are both knockout songs.
10.11.2008 - 12:49
Metalbound7
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.05.2008 at 14:51

He co-wrote it.

Actually Metallica co-wrote it. the original song is mechanix, Metallica stole the song, added a solo, and change the name and the lyrics of the song.
10.11.2008 - 13:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Metalbound7 on 10.11.2008 at 12:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 05.05.2008 at 14:51

He co-wrote it.

Actually Metallica co-wrote it. the original song is mechanix, Metallica stole the song, added a solo, and change the name and the lyrics of the song.

Sigh...

How can Metallica steal their own song?
yes the original song is called The Mechanix and IS a Metallica song. The Mechanix was featured on the No Life Till Leather demo and the Power Metal demo from 1982. It is this version that Mustaine later on re-recorded for his own band Megadeth. By that time Metallica (now without Mustaine) had changed it slightly into what became The Four Horsemen.
The three people that actually wrote The Mechanix are James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich and Dave Mustaine.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2008 - 20:22
Demonmayonnaise
@ Marcel
In the booklet for the remastered version of Killing is My Business Dave says that he wrote the mechanix before he joined Metallica.
10.11.2008 - 20:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 10.11.2008 at 20:22

@ Marcel
In the booklet for the remastered version of Killing is My Business Dave says that he wrote the mechanix before he joined Metallica.

I read that too, but that's a load of horse manure to put it mildly. What actually happened was het had written some parts of The Mechanix before he joined Metallica and then Lars and James put othe rparts in and the three of them arranged all that into the final version of The Mechanix.
Mustaine is actually known to be an even bigger liar, in the business, than Lars so take everything you read which is said by him witha grain of salt as well.
Due to his long time drug abuse Dave's perception of reality is quite a bit off at times
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.11.2008 - 20:39
Demonmayonnaise
Yeah, I bet the 80s are a blur to him... Its a wonder he even remembers he played in Metallica... jk
11.11.2008 - 10:48
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
imagine that Mustain has written all of the song, but why its lower than metallica's? at songwrittin and even at performance?
11.11.2008 - 13:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.11.2008 at 10:48

but why its lower than metallica's? at songwrittin and even at performance?

What are you saying?
That The Mechanix is slower? Ahum, it is actually quicker than The Four Horsemen, but what does the speed of the song have to do with lking one version or the other?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2008 - 16:04
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.11.2008 at 13:39

Written by Guest on 11.11.2008 at 10:48

but why its lower than metallica's? at songwrittin and even at performance?

What are you saying?
That The Mechanix is slower? Ahum, it is actually quicker than The Four Horsemen, but what does the speed of the song have to do with lking one version or the other?

lower not slower!
11.11.2008 - 16:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 11.11.2008 at 16:04

lower not slower!

Then what the bleep do you mean by "lower" how can songwriting be lower or performance be lower.

Dude, I really do NOT understand what you're saying here.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2008 - 16:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.11.2008 at 16:09

lower not slower!

Then what the bleep do you mean by "lower" how can songwriting be lower or performance be lower.

I say if its mustain's own song why ppl think "The Four Horsemen" is better? cause when u look at votes u see that ppl voted for Mustain(at Mustain vs Hammet) and here they voted for The Four Horsemen!!
there is somthin wrong here if its really Mustains owns song(without jamyz and lars!!)
11.11.2008 - 22:24
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 11.11.2008 at 16:19

lower not slower!

I say if its mustain's own song why ppl think "The Four Horsemen" is better? cause when u look at votes u see that ppl voted for Mustain(at Mustain vs Hammet) and here they voted for The Four Horsemen!!
there is somthin wrong here if its really Mustains owns song(without jamyz and lars!!)

Man, that poll has nothing to do with it. In Megadeth vs Metallica poll, Megadeth is winning, so what? Everybody should just know what they all wrote it. That's it. In Metallica there has never been anyone, who would write the whole song completely by himself.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.11.2008 - 10:20
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 11.11.2008 at 22:24

lower not slower!

Man, that poll has nothing to do with it. In Megadeth vs Metallica poll, Megadeth is winning, so what? Everybody should just know what they all wrote it. That's it. In Metallica there has never been anyone, who would write the whole song completely by himself.

yes megadeth wons cause Megadeth is not = Mustain!! as ive said before Megadeth's good albums r about "Marty Friedman" times!!
and this is ur view that poll has nothin with it. Mustain is better than kirk ? so why he couldnt play his own song better than kirk? its my question. and if i have to answer my own question I answer like this:

its not his own song, jaymz and larz! had put somthin to it. second Kirk is playin better than mustain.
and this is my oppinion.
12.11.2008 - 19:33
Demonmayonnaise
Written by Guest on 12.11.2008 at 10:20

lower not slower!

yes megadeth wons cause Megadeth is not = Mustain!! as ive said before Megadeth's good albums r about "Marty Friedman" times!!
and this is ur view that poll has nothin with it. Mustain is better than kirk ? so why he couldnt play his own song better than kirk? its my question. and if i have to answer my own question I answer like this:

its not his own song, jaymz and larz! had put somthin to it. second Kirk is playin better than mustain.
and this is my oppinion.

Too bad your opinion is written in such shitty english that no one understands what the hell you are saying. Megadeths good albums are the first four in my opinion, and guess how many of those marty played on... one. So maybe I should put this in words only you can understand. Megdathz albumz isnt only godo with marty, they iz good with Chris Plandi and Jeff yung did a grate job on sfsgsw!!! get that?
12.11.2008 - 19:47
Deathamphetamine
Account deleted
Its somewhat tough. Mechanix because of its speed (although the metallica original was slowed down), but Four Horsemen because of its epicness and better lyrics. Ill say Four Horsemen on this one.
12.11.2008 - 19:55
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
First of all, Megadeth had good albums before Marty, you know. My second point is that since people voted Megadeth over Metallica, they could have just voted for The Mechanix over The Four Horsemen (even if they were just biased), and my Kirk vs Dave poll is concerned only with solos; here we are talking about a whole song. So the conclusion I can make is that probably many people are just probably objective, that's it.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.11.2008 - 00:32
Demonmayonnaise
Thats what Im sayin. Peace Sells is my favorite album.
13.11.2008 - 10:26
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 12.11.2008 at 19:33

Written by Guest on 12.11.2008 at 10:20

lower not slower!

and this is my oppinion.

Too bad your opinion is written in such shitty english that no one understands what the hell you are saying. Megadeths good albums are the first four in my opinion, and guess how many of those marty played on... one. So maybe I should put this in words only you can understand. Megdathz albumz isnt only godo with marty, they iz good with Chris Plandi and Jeff yung did a grate job on sfsgsw!!! get that?

i think u r reaching yo the end of the line when u talk about Language! it shows that u have nothin to say. but if u think that u cant understand my words, plz dont answer to things which u cant understand!!

when u cant unerstand broken english! so how can I understand ppl's broken english when english is not my own language? PFFF

so I think u Americans(at least some of u!) rnt wise ppl! cause when I look at threads, its just u americans who r sad about broken languages!! the interesting thing is that english is not ur Ancient Language, I dont know what the fuck u would do if u were British!!

I wont answer u, cause u cant know what the fuck I say.