Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:
Band: Consciousness Removal Project
Album: Promo 2008
Release date: 2008

01. Inhale
02. Exhale
03. From Wound To Scar

This Finnish young ambitious quartet Consciousness Removal Project have studied their genre heroes very well. Icons such as Cult Of Luna and Neurosis have both pressed their marks on this destructive three-track demo. Mind you, the word is study and not copy.

So that means an atmosphere alternating between creeping tension-rising riffs and soothing, relaxing and tranquil instrumentals. The first two tracks, "Inhale" and "Exhale", are a perfect example of this. "Inhale" has an intro that floats in between a mellow greeting, and a disturbing, nervewrecking sung mantra. There is an inevitable horrific event bound to happen, but what? A creepy, eerie feeling that crawls underneath your skin. A guitar howls chilling feedback and there is an mysterious sign of an impending burst in the air. And though you've been warned and prepared, it overwhelmes you.

Distorted guitars assault your ears and a harsh, twisted voice is heard among the thundering drums of the storm. After the first violent whirlwinds have settled down ago, clean vocals wail of the despair, and you are again sucked deep into the vortex. There is no possible escape, but to survive through the experience.

And the third song, "From Wound To Scar", is just as good. So is there anything left to critize? The hardcore-ish, post-metal whirlwind of music is of course not something they have thought of by themselves. But actually, very few good bands to it as good as they do. My biggest issue is than that this début EP is too short for my liking. Which is of course hardly a point of criticism at all, for a début EP of a one-year-old band. I truly hope they can continue making music like this, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next offering of this promising band!

Consciousness Removal Project's MySpace

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written on 06.02.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 49 users
10.02.2008 - 15:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Nobody into this great music? It's really good!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.02.2008 - 22:12
Stigma
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 10.02.2008 at 15:50

I am now, just discovered it.
20.02.2008 - 20:22
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 19.02.2008 at 22:12

Written by Lucas on 10.02.2008 at 15:50

I am now, just discovered it.

Good. It's quite disappointing to see so little people checking this out. Sure, they may be a new band, but they really stand out in the majority of new bands.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.02.2008 - 12:42
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
As I'm writing this, our drummer and guitarist are recording drumtracks for a more official promo release of tracks Unconscious, Tear and Nerves, and a completely new track "Hostile Environment" is in the works.
23.02.2008 - 13:03
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 23.02.2008 at 12:42

As I'm writing this, our drummer and guitarist are recording drumtracks for a more official promo release of tracks Unconscious, Tear and Nerves, and a completely new track "Hostile Environment" is in the works.

Very nice. Will it be for sale?

(You might know ShoresOfSheol, he has a project of himself and every time I see him, I bug him if he has finally released a demo or ep. I've been doing that for more than a year now, so be prepared. )
----

27.02.2008 - 18:49
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
We'll see if it will be for sale. Though, sooner or later we will put something out for sale, but as for when, I can't say. At the moment the important thing is to get gigs
29.02.2008 - 21:42
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
Ach, first gig set up for March 16th at Vastavirta, Tampere, if anyone here might be from around and is interested
29.02.2008 - 21:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Congrats man. It is a bit too far for me, but enjoy.
----

10.03.2008 - 06:09
Evil Chip

I loved your music but I think the growl vocals are a little out of place. The songs inhale and from wounds to scars are relaxing as hell and have really good melodyes. You should work more also in the changes, the intro inhale with exhalate should have a more measured change when the distortion enters same for the other song. Loved your band it has a really amazing style to be crafted. 8.5/10 for me just for the points I made beside that i would give a 10.
11.03.2008 - 23:29
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
@Atlantic, thanks for the feedback

We'll probably be putting stuff into Youtube after the show, so stay tuned.
28.01.2009 - 00:20
Evil Chip

Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 23:29

I added you on myspace my band is called Sealed Door. And a question: ¿What do you play in the band?
28.04.2009 - 23:21
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
Written by Evil Chip on 28.01.2009 at 00:20

Written by Guest on 11.03.2008 at 23:29

I added you on myspace my band is called Sealed Door. And a question: ¿What do you play in the band?

I do bass and background vocals.

Hits total: 6071 | This month: 8