Metal Storm logo
Guitar Newbie needs help

10.02.2008 - 21:37
Herzebeth
Hello dear friends!

So I bought a guitar right, I don't know how to play it...AT ALL....I used to practice when I was a little younger with an acoustic guitar, but all I could do was echoing my own voice with the guitar's mouth...

Anyway, I seriously want to learn the stuff, so I need a lot of help from you guys...I don't have any money and that's why I won't find a teacher or anything...

I'm interested in anything you can give me, tips, sites for good tablatures, I SERIOUSLY NEED TABS FOR CHORDS, I've seen many songs with the a, g# and stuff written and I obviously don't know how to play those notes right?

Anything will be appreciated, as I say I don't have any money...so I can pay with reviews lol

cheers...

oh, I bought a Fender Strat Squimer (the cheap one yes) with a Marshall Amp 15CDR or something
----
10.02.2008 - 22:34
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Do you have Guitar Pro?? Do you have some GP tabs?? Do you need them?? PM me if you do!
----
10.02.2008 - 22:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well first off welcome to the world of guitars, you'll get lots of satisfaction from playing it so try to practice at least 20 minutes a day.

as for easy songs, sorry to say but in death metal you won't find almost any. here's what i reccomend you though, as i see you're a beatles fan(don't worry about how to read the chord charts, the site ultimate-guitar.com shows you where you need to place your fingers, you need to hear and 'feel' the rhythm in which to strum the strings):

-uriah heep- lady in black http://911tabs.com/link/?311814
-credence clearwater revival- proud mary http://911tabs.com/link/?1589888
-nirvana- about a girl http://www.e-chords.com/guitartab/idmusica/74668.htm

you might wanna download these songs off the web and play along to it, after you study the way you need to move your fingers and stuff

also even though you have no money you gotta get a pick!
11.02.2008 - 00:21
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
a good first step is playing some simple riffs that you enjoy playing example: metallica quite simple yet fun to play

but yeh Guitar pro tabs are a good start as well
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
11.02.2008 - 00:39
Sunioj
Even though I speak on the fact that I don't consider myself a guitarist, I recommend the notion to learn some easy songs like the ones mentioned above. Even take a look at the 'easy guitar songs' thread and you will find plenty of things to help you build coordination at a tolerable level. But after you feel that you can play some songs fluently try taking time to understand what notes you are playing on the songs, and what feeling you have from different notes. Then learn the major scale and figure out how to apply it to each key
11.02.2008 - 20:33
Smurfophagist
I think it would be best for you to try learning songs by ear at first. And, of course, pick very simple songs. Make sure that alternate picking is the first thing you learn. This is very important. Start with chords and riffs. I would reccomand you to learn playing some SOAD stuff (by ear). When you practice things that seem hard and you need to perfect always play in clean, without distortion so you can hear all the mistakes. If you want to start with solos, I would reccomand Whiskey In The Jar, that's easy.
And never give up. Be very persistent and you will become a great guitar player.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
12.02.2008 - 01:32
Lord TJ
Im no teacher, but I can tell you how I started out.

I started out playing around with it, not doing anything in any order, I would just play with it and mess around, in time you find new things you can do, from then on you just build skill. Thats how I did it.

Heavy Metal songs are usually good starters.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
13.02.2008 - 01:35
Herzebeth
Thanks you guys...I'm surfing along that Ultimate-Guitar.com site it's quite interesting.

I've playing just random strings and all, anybody knows a site where to see like..scales or things to "create" good sounding riffs?
----
13.02.2008 - 03:35
Lord TJ
Written by Herzebeth on 13.02.2008 at 01:35

I've playing just random strings and all, anybody knows a site where to see like..scales or things to "create" good sounding riffs?

Im not sure of a site but Im sure if you googled guitar scales you would find some things. And as of creating good sounding things, thats indefinite. Everyone thinks things sound cool and some people think the same things suck, the key word is opinions.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
13.02.2008 - 03:44
Syk
myspace/bonerama
anybody knows a site where to see like..scales or things to "create" good sounding riffs?
http://www.jguitar.com is quite a good site, go to Scale Dictionary on the left. The first seven listed there are the most common, especially Ionian (major/happy) and Aeolian (minor/sad/angry/metal). Start off looking at either the C variant, because C is the typical most recognized note in western music, or the E variant, because your guitar is probably tuned to E (EADGBE starting with the thickest, lowest-sounding (the strings are referred to as 654321 in this order)). Most death stuff is lower, e.g. the Death Leprosy rehearsal that was recently released on the net is D, and the album version of 1,000 Eyes is also in D tuning. Deicide Legion is in E (rare in death metal), Carcass Heartwork is B tuning. Morbid Angel commonly Eb/D# (these are the same thing), D, C#/Db or lower. Hope you got all or most of that
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
14.02.2008 - 22:58
Smurfophagist
If you ask me, you shouldn't spend too much time on learning scales as a newbie... Try and learn to play whole songs first, when you feel you're ready to progress from simpler riffs to solos, build your speed up by playing scales (with a metronome). This is my modest opinion.
----
15.02.2008 - 10:36
W-Lash
Metal Master
Have you got any friend with guitar playing skills? If yes then ask him/her to spend a hour with you and try to learn as much as possible.
Ask for easier chords or easy riffs...
15.02.2008 - 13:45
Smurfophagist
Sorry for going off topic here...but I could use some help. I got a job recently, a job which consists of a lot of shoveling (I need money to get a ticket for Iron Maiden concert). Now I have a couple of blisters on my left hand. Do you know any methods that could help me get rid of these blisters. Please help, I'm desperate
----
15.02.2008 - 14:03
Sunioj
Keep working then you're hand will be as hard as a gorillas hand!

Erm, I don't really know other than that.
11.03.2008 - 18:35
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
My suggestion is to learn how to play Rhythm first and them lead guitar, you'll understand how to write music so much better. I've met people who can play these insane solos but cant play a thrash riff for shit. It trip's you out. You got to feel the Music not just play it.
20.03.2008 - 15:06
xmassacre
Account deleted
Written by Herzebeth on 10.02.2008 at 21:37

Hello dear friends!

So I bought a guitar right, I don't know how to play it...AT ALL....I used to practice when I was a little younger with an acoustic guitar, but all I could do was echoing my own voice with the guitar's mouth...

Anyway, I seriously want to learn the stuff, so I need a lot of help from you guys...I don't have any money and that's why I won't find a teacher or anything...

I'm interested in anything you can give me, tips, sites for good tablatures, I SERIOUSLY NEED TABS FOR CHORDS, I've seen many songs with the a, g# and stuff written and I obviously don't know how to play those notes right?

Anything will be appreciated, as I say I don't have any money...so I can pay with reviews lol

cheers...

oh, I bought a Fender Strat Squimer (the cheap one yes) with a Marshall Amp 15CDR or something

You sound like your in the same situation I'm in. I have the same guitar but a worse AMP.
My segation would be to go to the Library and try to find some begginer guitar books. Or look online for guitar tabs. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ is were I get most of mine.
03.04.2008 - 09:27
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Power chords are super easy and you can switch them up enough to make catchy little riffs, I assume you can read tabs, but just incase I'll give you an example.

Numbers on the left will indicate the string to play on, and the numbers within the grid will be the frets.

4||-5---7---4---2---|
5||-5---7---4---2---|
6||-3---5---2---0---|

This is a decent example of a simple riff, and you can play each part at whatever tempo or style you want. Just use your index finger on the sixth string (top of the guitar), and ring finger to cover both fifth and fourth strings. The 0 is of course open, so you can just use your index finger to press down on the second frets of the fifth and fourth strings.

http://www.doomish.com/tabfile.asp?Tabid=2771
Here's a link to the Carpathian Forest song "Black Shining Leather" and it uses alot of simple power chords and one string notes. I don't know if you're a fan of theirs, but Doomish.com has some good Guitar Pro files of CF's music and most of the songs are pretty simple.

www.doomish.com is a great resource for extreme metal.
03.04.2008 - 19:44
ASiema113
Well several of these posts have already covered the basics that you need, starting with easy songs such as smoke on water, iron man & "black star"(jk). And learning tablature is defiantly a good start for anyone without little/any skills on the guitar, and learning alternative picking is also a great thing to start learning from the start.

I recommend try searching for some Petrucci examples (beginning slow steadily throughout the whole patterns & picking up the pace bit by bit), I also recommend picking up at least one Guitar Magazine such as GuitarOne, GuitarWorld, GuiarPlayer, etc. If your serious about playing you can learn plenty from dedicating yourself to learn one new thing from a magazine everyday(I guarantee this will help anyone on their way w/guitar).

Also a big thing most beginner guitarists completely ignore to do is use their pinky , and suffer trying to recover it's use later on(which is a tremedous pain in the ass). So it's best to get on top of your game & start while your ahead.

Also I find that sometimes it's not necessacary to learn whole songs 100% of the time, better to just pickout the riff/licks that stick out to you and build your own guitar vocabulary to your preferance. Hope this helps out a bit.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
07.04.2008 - 16:27
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher

Thanks you guys...I'm surfing along that Ultimate-Guitar.com site it's quite interesting.

Here's a good site for music theory in general
http://www.musictheory.net/

My advice to you: learn about music theory to start with. I know that sounds scary, but the core concepts are very simplistic, and trust me, you'll get it from there. Scalework is a part of theory, so when you learn how a scale works, and you learn the notes inside of each scale, you'll be good. Also, if you want to do some fun, yet easy stuff in the meantime, learn how rto play old school hardcore punk songs. Awsome and easy.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.04.2008 - 16:35
Hangar XVIII
Try to learn abut styles of music other than Metal.
Blues is a great way to start with soloing over simple progressions, and teaches good rhythm. Jazz is a fun way to apply theory that isn't classical.
Old rock standards like Zeppelin and AC/DC are good bands to learn the basics from.

I find the best way to change my guitar style and make it my own is to implement techniques from other genres.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
22.05.2008 - 10:42
vatro
Account deleted
Learn some riffs practice alternate picking and don't use GP at first
21.12.2009 - 16:43
Panterica
First thing - listen to these guys tips, they know what they're talking about.
Second - learning songs from tabs is good, but also don't forget to learn some by listening.
Third - Metronom is essential, it helps alot, look for a Metronom on the internet if u can't buy.
Fourth - learn the pentatonic scale, the most basic and common scale in rock/metal.
Fifth - try to copy some simple licks from other guitarists, it'll help your improvisation.
Sixth - you have to learn which note is in which fret, without it you can't do a thing without relaying completly about whats sounds good to you.
Seventh - don't get nervous! It's sounds like alot of work but it worth it! The most important thing is to have fun, not to be a pro. If you get pissed off by not succeeding to do something leave the guitar and come back to it later, if you force yourself to do something you won't achieve a thing.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
26.12.2009 - 16:31
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Damn Panterica, raise the dead much man?
30.12.2009 - 04:22
I'm just going to put in a recommendation to use chords as much as possible. They are really good for building up your hand strength and stamina, particularly bar chords. Was going to recommend ultimate-guitar.com but I see you're already there. nice job.

I started out doing just that - playing chords, learned to read tab etc. If you don't have power tab then download it from U-G. If you don't have guitar pro then get it. If all else fails, google search 'guitar pro megaupload' and download it from there. I can personally guarantee that the file is good.

Once I'd done that for a while, i found an amazing teacher and haven't looked back. If you want to do grades, rockschool is quite fun, although pricey. You could probably find used books cheaply on ebay or amazon. They'll see you right for scales, chords, and some neat exercises. Get ones printed after 2006 though, as the ones before that are dubious.

PM me if any difficulties.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)