21 users:
Band: Avantasia
Album: Avantasia
Release date: October 2000

01. Avantasia [edit version]
02. Reach Out For The Light
03. The Final Sacrifice
04. Avantasia

After the recording sessions for Tobias Sammet's Avantasia, Tobias himself told the media that the band had in fact already released the whole tracklist for the next album [The Metal Opera Part II of course]. Having that in mind and seeing that The Metal Opera Part I is a real masterpiece, you could expect more of this EP than only one 'new' song. Unfortunately, that's all you will get if you buy it! Of course, the song - called 'The Final Sacrifice' - is really good, heavier than any track on The Metal Opera Part I and Virgin Steele's leader David De Feis has the main role and sings like a God [as he always does]. Nevertheless, this song has been included on Part II later and then, the interest of buying this EP is now close to none unless you are a true fan. Two versions of the title track 'Avantasia', the first song of Part I 'Reach Out For The Light' and previously unpublished 'The Final Sacrifice' -- those are the contents of this EP.

In resume, musically very good but unfortunately nothing very new if you already know Avantasia's albums. When it was released, the only new song was 'The Final Sacrifice'. Personally, I think they could have at least included one or two other songs from Part I with stuff like off-vocals versions.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 26.08.2003 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 29 users
10.02.2008 - 23:27
Kallis Helmi
ManDaraBosS
The Avantasia single was released BEFORE the Metal Opera Pt.1!!!
----
"Now I'm leaving my worries behind
Feel the freedom of body and mind
I am starting my journey, I'm drifting away with the wind
I go"
11.02.2008 - 00:51
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i hate The Final Sacrifice so much...i'd even say it is the worst song of Avantasia ever...dunno why i thought so, while i love Ava, but it is so
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.03.2016 - 20:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Kallis Helmi on 10.02.2008 at 23:27

The Avantasia single was released BEFORE the Metal Opera Pt.1!!!

yes it seems same to me here
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.03.2016 - 23:03
Lord_Regnier

Written by Ellrohir on 11.02.2008 at 00:51

i hate The Final Sacrifice so much...i'd even say it is the worst song of Avantasia ever...dunno why i thought so, while i love Ava, but it is so

I'm curious here. Why do you hate "The Final Sacrifice" so much? Is it because of vocals? This song is sung by David Defeis (of Virgin Steele) and even if his vocals are still clean and you can understand the words, he is not the typical Powermetal vocalist. For me, it is still clean vocals but there is something in the delivery that is close to a harsh vocalist at times. There is something in his vocal patterns and the way he ends his sentences that remind me of Black Metal vocalists. While not a Black Metal vocalist, he is harsher than the typical Powermetal singer, so I would understand that Powermetal fans would not like him much.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
01.04.2016 - 15:20
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Its funny to suddenly read 8 years old comments and trying to figure out "what the hell i was thinking back then?"

anyway - i still dont like the song, probably because the refrain is too "harsh" for me - for a power metal song...since 2008 i have found many favorite black, death and also thrash metal bands, but still i expect something else from symphonic power metal bands...i think it is same like i dont like "thrashy" songs by Dream Theater that much and rather prefer some soft ballads other people would call "cheesy"

but one good news - in 2016, "Final Sacrifice" isnt the worst Ava's song anymore
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 4660 | This month: 13