Metal Storm logo
What is the heaviest album ever?

12.02.2008 - 14:53
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
So, what is the album that is so brutal that it just destroys everything in it's path?

Of course people have different opinions as to what is heavy, brutal etc.. Sure there are countless grind/death bands who think they need to play crappy chromatic/atonal riffs and blast over everything, but IMO that isn't what makes something heavy.

For me, it's "Realm Of Chaos" by Bolt Thrower. I was going to try and explain why I think this is the heaviest ever, but there is a review on MA entitled "Deathgrind's Ultimate Avatar" which describes it perfectly. Read it, you might be convinced. Any contenders?
12.02.2008 - 21:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
just gave the first 3 tracks of the album you mentioned a spin, they sounded heavy as hell but isn't that what death metal is supposed to be?

well, i'll stay with my good old "Painkiller" by Priest. i personally think over the top vicious screaming can be more brutal than growls.
12.02.2008 - 21:40
doomina
Account deleted
hm ... maybe heaven shall burn - antigone
it's really aggressive and brutal ...
or miss machine by dillinger escape plan
13.02.2008 - 00:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
I'd say good old Reign in Blood! Angel of Death is enough to tear down the walls around you. Araya's howls breaks glass, Lombardo's drums are fucking nuclears and the guitars shred anything in their way!
----
13.02.2008 - 01:08
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Godflesh-Streetcleaner is probably the heaviest thing I've heard, though my understanding of the word "heaviness" in music may be a little different from that of most metal fans.
13.02.2008 - 07:42
Stigmatized
I'd say "Molesting The Decapitated" by Devourment. Seriously devastating music, I'd have to say it's the heaviest sound I've heard on CD.
13.02.2008 - 13:42
Smurfophagist

Kill 'em All by Metallica. I find speed metal to be very devastating and powerful, so I had to make up my mind between Kill 'em All and Reign In Blood. Kill 'em All is just totally crazy but cohesive, unlike, for example some goregrind stuff.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
11.03.2008 - 17:37
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Its hard to say between Venom - Welcome To Hell ans Slayer - Show No Mercy.... They're both hell heavy for their time. Probs go with SLAYER!!
11.03.2008 - 18:15
Charly546

Blitzkrieg - Blitzed Alive. Demo from 1981. It is the most brutal thing I've heard from that year, and it even holds its ground against the newer bands. It had riffing style, which is pretty similar to what Accept would do in 1982 (Fast as a Shark) or Priest in 1984 (Freewheel Burning), but it outdated them both. And then bands such as Kreator took ideas from Accept-s Fast as a Shark and made Endless Pain and Pleasure to Kill. So historical factor makes this the heaviest album (if demos count) ever. (It is rereleased on A Time Of Changes - Phase 1.)
14.03.2008 - 15:02
Metal_Militia

Written by Smurfophagist on 13.02.2008 at 13:42

Kill 'em All by Metallica. I find speed metal to be very devastating and powerful, so I had to make up my mind between Kill 'em All and Reign In Blood. Kill 'em All is just totally crazy but cohesive, unlike, for example some goregrind stuff.

//FOR SURE DUDE!! 'Kill Em All, i think you could also throw in Vulgar by Pantera, and maybe possibly Symbolic by Death//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

14.03.2008 - 15:30
Hangar XVIII

Kill em All probably.
Jump in the Fire is pretty heavy.

Reighn in Blood of course s great too.

The first Candlemass album.

Outside of heavy metal, the third, fourth and fifth Uriah Heep albums are pretty heavy, as well as the first four Sabbath albums.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
15.03.2008 - 04:32
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Metallica - Master Of Puppets its a jewel and has influenced a lot of bands
----
Stay Metal !!!
15.03.2008 - 06:53
selken
Irreligious
Death - Leprosy!!!!
my fav death's album and the most brutal IMO.
----
15.03.2008 - 07:54
Southern Wind
Account deleted
You guys really shouldn't look at metal searching for the heaviest album ever... I would better chose some Swans stuff...
02.06.2008 - 14:31
Hamird
Lieutenant
first place is for World Funeral by Marduk.
second place for Icon, iCP and Identisick by Benighted.
03.06.2008 - 00:41
Metal_Militia

//Or, besides my Kill 'Em All point, i think i could really make a strong case for Destroy Erase Improve by Meshuggah, or Crimson by Edge of Sanity. Both those albums blew me away with how heavy they are//
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"

25.06.2008 - 14:59
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Reign In Blood by Slayer. It kicks ass from the beginning to end.
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
25.06.2008 - 15:41
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
Painkiller by Judas Priest. Lots of really heavy songs.
26.06.2008 - 05:24
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
obZen by Meshuggah or Evidence of Inequity by Beneath the Massacre anyone ?
both 8 string guitar assaults, can't get much heavier than that
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
24.08.2008 - 12:54
Berfones

I think it's Filosofem by Burzum, simply because of the lyrics, after listening to it it is impossible to not think about what is behind the words, it really reaches you, and makes you think and this is what I think makes it so heavy
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
25.08.2008 - 18:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 24.08.2008 at 13:35

Brutal is definitely the right word for this thread.

I'll go with SYL's "City" or "Alien" if only for the songs "Oh My Fucking God" and "Shitstorm".

I will have to agree with City. It's really heavy, but I don't like it at all. Really nothing impressive in songwriting. Another really heavy and berserk thing is Darkness Descends by Dark Angel. That's just pure raw thrash, but I don't like it really either.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.08.2008 - 21:09
VPeter

Anything by Bolthrower, it's all brutal.
25.08.2008 - 23:09
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Darkspace - III... very crunchy

Joy Division - Closer
25.08.2008 - 23:25
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
ever? thats a hard one but the heaviest ive heard in awhile is Gojira's "From Mars to Sirius". damn good music. damn good.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
26.08.2008 - 19:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
The 2 first Black Sabbath albums or Venoms Welcome To Hell. People dont seem to get that heaviness is a feeling, not a sound you can get through certain production. A truly heavy riff will sound heavy no matter how its recorded.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.08.2008 - 19:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Doc G. on 26.08.2008 at 19:03

The 2 first Black Sabbath albums or Venoms Welcome To Hell. People dont seem to get that heaviness is a feeling, not a sound you can get through certain production. A truly heavy riff will sound heavy no matter how its recorded.

Amen to that. Black Sabbath is very heavy in my opinio too.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.08.2008 - 19:54
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Elio on 26.08.2008 at 19:14

Written by Doc G. on 26.08.2008 at 19:03

Amen to that. Black Sabbath is very heavy in my opinio too.

Well I have to agree too. I remember listening to "Children of the Grave" of the album Master of Reality. That one contains a really heavy riff. I truly shocked: stuff like that in 1971. I was totally blown away.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.11.2008 - 21:35
arwestromen

When it comes to HEAVY music i belive that Ramstein got some of the heaviest albums....well sound IMO just listen to Du Hast that's some heavy shit right there
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
19.11.2008 - 21:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
My suggestions...

Godflesh - "Streetcleaner"
Neurosis - "Times of Grace"
Esoteric - "Maniacal Vale"

sure, there are faster albums, more extreme albums, but those three are just unrelenting and punishing. making it through one of those albums leaves me feeling emotionally exhausted.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.11.2008 - 22:54
LethargyMan

I have asserted in the past that Gorguts's Obscura is the heaviest metal album of all time; I have yet to revise my opinion. The album is a barrage of wailing dissonance and unsettling structure that has yet to be matched by any other metal artist.

More extreme albums have been released, but these will often fall under the genres of harsh noise or power electronics or some other label. Obscura succeeds in being distinctly a "metal" album, bringing technicality and abrasiveness to a level beyond other metal artists.

It's the only album that I've ever felt genuine discomfort listening to. It makes no attempt to appease the listener with familiarity. Obscura freely jumps between a pummeling death/grind or a torturous doom, leaving little room for prediction.

It's pretty good.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.