01. Losing The Ground
02. Snow White Suicide
03. Closer (My Love)
04. New Dawn
05. Grace
06. Silence is Killing Me
07. Thru The Darkness
08. Blood Of Your Soul

Entwine; a Doom/Gothic/Experimental rock group, hailing from Finland. Some compare them to HIM, which is in some places true but only because HIM may use similar melodic passages and attempts to create a similar atmosphere. If listened to more thoroughly one will find more similarities with bands such as Beseech and The Gathering.

"Gone" is their second album, an extremely beautiful and thoughtful work. It is flowing, melancholic and moves forward slowly but surely as if bearing some sad and heavy burden. I personally like this album because it displays the good characteristics of very good Doom/Gothic albums for instance "From A Bleeding Heart" by Beseech as well as numerous songs by The Gathering.

It's difficult to begin describing this album. The first song "Losing The Ground" gives a fine start to the track-list with flowing keyboard melodies whilst guitars and drums swiftly follow it. The singer Mika Tauriainen has a fine passionate voice, perfect for expressing the emotions the music possesses. And speaking of emotions "Gone" is filled with many of them. The melodies of all songs are diverse. Some carry more positive atmosphere inside them while others stress calmer, desolate thoughts.

"Gone" is a very good piece because there aren't very many albums which consist mainly of brilliant songs. Nearly all albums have their fillers and their highlights. "Gone" is an album which, I dare to say, hasn't any songs that would qualify as fillers. The three first songs are excellent, the opening track being catchy and perfect for introducing the music of the album, "Snow White Suicide" continuing the faster and more aggressive side and then "Closer (My Love)" which is one of the saddest and most emotional songs of the whole work of the group. The rest of the album continues the style with each song having a characteristic making it special. One of my personal favourites being "New Dawn" for instance. A song that is slightly more cheerful, faster and darker in its atmosphere.

To sum up, I'd say that this album is a very good representative of the band's creation and of the whole genre. The songs are well mastered and the singer's expressive voice plus the lyrics and whole atmosphere make it a perfect album for listening when being tired after a long day or when simply feeling slightly sad or let down. It isn't exactly an album when you wish to cheer yourself up but it will comfort during sunless days and lonely nights.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by Ernis | 13.02.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 65 users
13.02.2008 - 21:28
Rating: 9
Katatronik
Angel of Lust
Very good album IMO, though I prefer their latest works... Anyway, the first songs of this album are great, as the band itself!
----

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
Howard Phillips Lovecraft
15.10.2008 - 18:35
Rating: 8
iaberis
Advice Troll
True, very good album, the first I check from them. And I agree with this line in the review:
"whole atmosphere make it a perfect album for listening when being tired after a long day or when simply feeling slightly sad or let down"
absolutely true!
----
Bitch! Please
26.10.2017 - 05:47
Rating: 10
njordxxx

I know this is old post but must add: you're quite right mentioning the similarity with The Gathering or Beseech... True, some compare them with HIM but it's only surface... I read in an interview that they are fans of the Gathering and have strong respect for them. Such musical taste led to gothic metal when they played death metal.

Hits total: 6540 | This month: 10