13. Samon [acoustic version] [bonus]

Disc II [Limited Edition DVD: Ragnarök Festival 2007]
01. Andro
02. Your Gaulish war
03. Song Of Life
04. Lament
+ Inis Mona [video]
+ Photogallery

Hail the new wave of folk metal with Eluveitie as one of the bands spearheading this charging attack on the world of metal. "Slania" brings the second of the band's full-length albums in strong but typical form as another album is added to the ever-growing pool of folk-influenced bands. Eluveitie set their sound up with plenty of layers of real folk instruments that intertwine with the metal, which adds a very pleasant and often beautiful mood to parts of the album but also compliments the heavy metal core of the album. In-between onslaughts of folkish instruments the backbone of the album seems to be heavily influenced and similar to many of the Göthenburg-sound melodic death metal bands around today.

Eluveitie seem to have everything you would want to be looking out for in a band of this style. As well as the folk-laced extreme Göthenburg sounding sides we have moments like the delightful instrumental track "Anagantios" which leads into one of the highlights of the albums in the In Flames reminiscent "Bloodstained Ground" providing pounding metal with strong folk elements woven amidst the crushing metal. Title track, as-it-were, "Slanias Song" also introduces female vocals which work splendidly giving the album yet more diversity that sometimes eludes other bands in the scene. "Slania" taken how it is, is a very enjoyable album offering plenty of standpoints from where you can stand to listen to it. The album is far from monotonous and it would seem each track attempts to bring something slightly different to the picture, albeit still all with a strong smack of Göthenburg death metal.

However folk metal is far from being a new thing in metal, although with the last few years the popularity of the genre has risen and shot through the roof which has in-turn caused the creation of seemingly masses of bands jumping on the originally unique sounding little subgenre and turned "folk metal" into one of the staples of metal these days. Yes, Eluveitie sound very talented in putting together opuses of grand folk metal as well as performing it but at times the, quite frankly bone dry and overused Göthenburg melodic death metal guitar riffs come into the picture and you are left in somewhat of an ambivalent state as "Slania" is both refreshingly original with the folk instruments and arrangements, but also nauseatingly predictable when it comes to the Soilwork and In Flames sounding guitar riffs chugging the music along. It would just be a shame for the original elements to be lost as time goes by and this "folk metal" becomes the next ignoreable, mass of mediocrity that becomes widely popular among metallers.

As with Eluveitie, "Slania" is a superb album of many dimensions and elements that are brought to shining life with the inclusion of all these folk instruments. The bland Göthenburg riffs included in the album can mostly be forgotten about but may rise to be a cause for concern in the future. Fans of this genre should definitely pay some attention to this album, everything you could ask for is in there somewhere, the album emits energy from start to finish and stays constantly busy in one way or another, this will surely please many camps in the metal world.

Written on 15.02.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 531 users
15.02.2008 - 19:15
Bas
Retired Staff
elite
what do you think of this album as compared to spirit? most of everything you wrote in this review applies to the first album as well, are they very simialar then?

(good review btw, gives me a pretty clear picture of the sound)
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
15.02.2008 - 20:20
Rating: 8
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Bas on 15.02.2008 at 19:15

what do you think of this album as compared to spirit? most of everything you wrote in this review applies to the first album as well, are they very simialar then?

I'd say they are too similar. In spite of the huge stylistic leap the band made from Ven to Spirit, it hasn't really developed since then. It sounds less like Dark Tranquillity and more like In Flames if you ask me, and I haven't really learned to appreciate the individual songs as much as I learned to appreciate "Your Gaulish War", "Of Fire, Wind & Wisdom", "Siraxta" and "Tegernako"... yet. Might still come, but all in all Slania sounds a lot less refreshing as Spirit did. Very good album nonetheless. And awesome review, summed it all up very nicely and matches pretty much with my own impression.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.02.2008 - 20:52
aljazek
Account deleted
My fave is absolutely "Slania's song"
15.02.2008 - 23:09
Talvi
Written by Bas on 15.02.2008 at 19:15

(good review btw, gives me a pretty clear picture of the sound)

In my opinion, the band is much more predictable, and probably, yes, more Gothenburg with the structure of the song. But I like the folk 'solos' or 'breaks' a lot more than in Spirit. But if you liked Spirit, you will probably like Slania.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
16.02.2008 - 08:13
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
This has been on my wishlist for a few weeks now, I love what Ive heard on the myspace, but I agree with the review aswell, the guitars can be pretty bland at times. Alot of folk metal bands cover up boring guitar work with layers of synth or folk instruments, there needs to be a balance, Eluveitie sometimes suffers from this problem but altogether it still sounds awesome.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.02.2008 - 15:44
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
I more or less agree with Promonex, in my opionion "Slania" is no longer new and fresh compared to "Spirit". But it still stays a good album nonetheless.

BTW: it's Gothenburg vs. Göteborg
----
Your favorite band sucks.
16.02.2008 - 16:19
Tristaniac
Account deleted
Eluveitie is the best folk metal band nowadays!!
16.02.2008 - 20:21
Rating: 9
FeskarN
I have the album but don't have listened to it.. But this give me good view how it gonna sound! I have only heard "Inis Mona" and that was a very catcy song!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
17.02.2008 - 15:07
Blood Work
Account deleted
Just got the album and have to say, now that I listened to the album I totally agree with the review. True that the band is predictable but what I do not understand is how can this have a Gothenburg structure to it? I think the band failed to bring anything new to this album, however I did like Slanias Song.
17.02.2008 - 19:03
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Btw, does anyone else think that the beginning of "Slanias Song" sounds like "Where Will You Go" by Evanescence?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
17.02.2008 - 19:45
selken
Irreligious
I've already downloaded this album, and I'm actually listening to it, its great, I'll have to wait until march to get it. As far as i've heard it's a well structured music, with strong elements of both In flames esque sound and folkish melodies, i don't know if there's another band like this, but I like this a lot. Great review btw.
----
18.02.2008 - 11:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
hm...i´d say "forgettable" - some songs like Inis Mona are great but overall, there are too few "highlights" for me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.02.2008 - 15:10
Rating: 10
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
True, Slania is just a continuation of Spirit, but I still rate it high, excellent folk album, and a nice review. If you liked first, you will like Slania also.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
18.02.2008 - 16:43
Samael
The only impression I got when I listened to this band for the first time was like if Dark Tranquillity did an album with flutes and violins. The song writing is so similar as well as the sound. I can give them another chance. And nice review.
29.02.2008 - 20:37
Abattoir
staff
Recently I heard this album for the first time and I think it's very good...I totally agree with the rating of this album.
I haven't pay so much attention to this band...but their style did quite good influence on me, for now.
29.02.2008 - 20:58
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
I agree that this album is more MeloDeath than it is Folk Metal...which is exactly why I like it. It's just catchy, great songwritting, with extra instruments.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
02.03.2008 - 18:39
belisarius
i love the more melodeath influences, sometimes in the older albums there were songs that were not metal anymore imo. inis mona and slania's song are my favs
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
02.03.2008 - 23:49
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Everyone i know is talking about this album , think i should give it a try though Folk Metal has never been my stuff :
05.03.2008 - 22:19
Rating: 7
Rimfrost
Incredible band, I am so sad now that I skipped them on Graspop in favour of sleeping. Best folk metal band out there now? Gotta get all their albums. Damn, I am moved by how good these guys actually are.
10.03.2008 - 22:28
Stigmatized
I'm actually enjoying this so far. The songs are catchy as can be, with some good folk sounds. Sometimes the folk instruments are a little over done, but still not bad.
12.04.2008 - 08:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Just got it, I love it! Strangely enough I think my favorite song might be 'Anagantios'
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.04.2008 - 11:41
Sunioj
Braveheart has nothing on this band.
15.05.2008 - 08:07
Written by Passenger on 29.02.2008 at 20:58

I agree that this album is more MeloDeath than it is Folk Metal...which is exactly why I like it. It's just catchy, great songwritting, with extra instruments.

I agree, I think the folkiness sets the tone for the songs, but the guitars and melodeath vocals definitely drive the songs. I might say 8.0 is a little low, I might rate closer to 9. Maybe it's not ground-breakingly new material, but the songs are very well done.
22.06.2008 - 14:50
AxeLnAreD
This album is awesome really...
I love folk breaks and solos in the death metal sound.It s gain to sound more atmospheric balance.
I hope this band wont break their soundway
Damnn I like it.
----
What's locked,can be opened;What's hidden,can be found and What's yours,can be MINE!!!!!
29.06.2008 - 03:44
Rating: 7
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
I think the rating is fair, as after seeing them live at Paganfest, the album sort of let me down a little bit, although I've only listened to it once. I wish it were more folk instead of melodeath, as I don't think the more extreme vocals really fit, but w/e.
28.08.2008 - 22:48
Elio
Red Nightmare
IMO this is a very good album. I love so much the folk elements with Gothenburg vocals!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
31.08.2008 - 03:39
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
this is is just a gothenburg album with folk instruments first album is the best for me
----
Stay Metal !!!
03.11.2008 - 11:57
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Killer album, far better than what i thought it was gonna be seeing as folk albums take a bit of time to click with me.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
11.11.2008 - 17:09
iaberis
Advice Troll
Very good stuff! I like both gothenburg and folk metal so this piece is very remarkable and kinda unique with its celtic sound... I'll buy it!
----
Bitch! Please
11.11.2008 - 21:15
DanielViking
I agree with the note... it's a great album

Hits total: 16478 | This month: 13