05. Some Things You Can't Return
06. Angels In Vertigo
07. Regret
08. Crows On The Wire
09. I'm Not Waving
10. Flies
11. Black Smoke And Mirrors
12. Time [bonus]

As soon I received this album I was completely amazed by the beautiful cover art, is just amazing! Very somber and dark, a dead crow with the wings facing up, dripping blood... This is, without doubt, my favorite cover art of the year 2003. And things only get better, when you look at the booklet you can see the same type of dark twisted art, just beautiful.

You can find the same Dark vibe in the music, Dead Soul Tribe plays a very dark and gloomy Progressive Metal, from the first track "Feed Part 1: Stone By Stone" you can sense the Dark atmosphere that dominates all the album, and let me tell you, that been able to create such a mood is not easy.

This sophomore effort is the brainchild of Devon Graves, who you might know of Psychotic Waltz fame, anyway, he provides us with a great concept for this album, he states: "If it's true that crows are carrying the souls of dead people into the beyond, then what happens with the souls of those people with whom the crows didn't manage to get there?", that is the inspiration and main drive for the compositions of the album.

The great thing about this album is that it doesn't get boring at any time, is just amazing, you can almost feel anxiety when listening "Some Things You Can't Return" and you can't avoid sing along - 10001, Blue, yellow, Red, 10001- in "Angels In Vertigo" , also great is the piano driven "Regret" and "Feed part 2: The Awakening" with those acoustic guitars and the flute, just sweet! If you like acoustic type songs you also got "Black Smoke and Mirrors" this one features more flute playing in the middle of the song.

A truly magnificent album that will go to my top ten list of 2003, this I not the kind of music you come across everyday, a Dark Progressive masterpiece! Recommended to all fans of the genre, and to all fans of music in general, a must-buy of 2003!

Written by Undercraft | 25.09.2004

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 94 users
17.02.2008 - 11:40
Rating: 10
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Wow, no-one posted here. Just proves that these guys are really underrated. And they deserved more really. I guess the fact that they are original doesnt help

I absolutely adore this album, this is one of the best progressive albums of all time! I'm not exaggerating, I've heard a lot of progressive albums throughout my life and this just leaves a mark on you. The riffs are so dynamic and heavy at times. The songs are just flawless and outstandingly well written.

One of the best songs ever: "some things you can't return" and "angels in vertigo".

This is brilliant, don't let it slip away.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.12.2008 - 00:57
Rating: 8
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This album kind of reminds me of Tool but more progressive (than jammy, as Tool is). Pretty good album with a great atmosphere. 8/10
28.08.2009 - 14:22
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:
he provides us with a great concept for this album, he states: "If it's true that crows are carrying the souls of dead people into the beyond, then what happens with the souls of those people with whom the crows didn't manage to get there?", that is the inspiration and main drive for the compositions of the album.

Wow that's very cool. The album is great, I also liked the bonus track 'Time'.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
23.09.2023 - 18:39
DarkWingedSoul
Stil hits after 20 years ! dark, somber and beautiful....

Hits total: 4644 | This month: 8