Metal Storm logo
Success of a Band

Original post

Posted by Carrion Misery, 18.02.2008 - 10:28
I replied to this news about Nightwish's ECHO award and my response became quite lengthy. So I turned my remark into a forum post. Tell me your thoughts.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=6018

"I have read all of the comments here and everyone is saying similar things when it comes to the mainstream and underground. The problem with almost all of mainstream music is that it only "sounds good". It usually lacks depth and the trait to be appreciated musically. Metal becomes less complicated and less layered the longer it is in the mainstream light. When people listen to music on the radio, they don't want to analyze music, they just want to sing along and bop around to the beat.

If a band is known world-wide, then you can't categorize them as underground. When it comes to classifying an underground band, the band typically isn't on a large record label or on one at all. Nevermore, Behemoth, Evergrey, Hypocrisy - these are big bands, but they aren't mainstream and nor are they underground. They are in that perfect margin where they can be musically respected and analyzed for their articulate musical mastery and still "sound good". I feel I have gone way past just listening to music because it sounds cool. I first have to figure out the time signatures and understand the music rather than listen aimlessly to repetitive verses and choruses. Then each time I listen to a song I usually hear something new. I can marvel at the musicianship. To me that is priceless and is what makes metal a passion of mine. I'll have to admit that sometimes it doesn't hurt to listen to a monotonous song. It can even hit the spot.

Most of the metal I own, I can listen to a band's entire CD collection from the very first song to the very last without skipping a song. When it comes to mainstream music, people listen to 1 or 2 songs on repeat all day when that artist will have a 12 track CD. On top of that, if a mainstream artist has 6 CDs out, they most likely won't even listen to a song that was on the previous CD. That is a HUGE waste when it comes to talent and time of that artist. Not a waste of cash though. That will flow on if those two tracks hit big. But why play metal if you're only going to dumb it down and people will only listen to one of your songs? This is a great way to make money, but a bad way to make great, authentic music. I don't want to repeat myself in any manner; when I say "great music" I don't mean something you can dance to, but something you can value formulaically and skill-wise.

Now speaking of Nightwish, I'm not too familiar with Europe's mainstream, but I'm certain it is somewhat different than America's. I really didn't see Tarja's operatic vocals going far on America's radio/ TV. The vocals were too dramatic and it's tough for normal people to get use to or appreciate the talent. However, Anette's vocals, which are great, are more rockish and people can sing along easier. The only thing that will get Nightwish to sell more records in America is if they tone down progression and technicality in their music. Is that really metal? IMO it really isn't. They'll turn into hard rock with female vocals if they go that route.

All in all, I am happy for Nightwish. Winning awards and knowing you have hundreds of thousands of fans is reaching a pinnacle milestone when it comes to music. However, remodeling your music for the taste of the masses isn't very fair to any bands current fans nor innovative to metal or music in general. I don't want to see them go that way, but if they do I wish them the best. The success of unlocking wealth and fortune has to be a feeling far past imagination."
21.02.2008 - 09:59
totaliteraliter
Because the many qualities that we have discussed, and others as well, make marketing it more difficult and expensive than other forms of music. Are you implying metal is crap? I don't get the connection you're making.
21.02.2008 - 11:18
b0000mst1ck
Written by totaliteraliter on 21.02.2008 at 09:59

Because the many qualities that we have discussed, and others as well, make marketing it more difficult and expensive than other forms of music. Are you implying metal is crap? I don't get the connection you're making.

see, you're contradicting the reality of the industry. again, metal bands aren't given nearly as much money as major artists when they go to record an album. and i'm not talking about one well-known artist like iron maiden anymore, i'm talking about metal bands as a whole.

a new pop artist can be signed to a major label and given a multi-record, million dollar contract before they even start recording. indy labels give little to no money to a metal band because that small amount of overhead (that they already had) is instead allocated to advertising and touring. as far as producing an album is concerned, the band pays for a producer in most situations, unless they're signed under a major contract.

so when you look at the big financial picture, when all is said and done, it doesn't cost nearly as much to produce a metal band as it does a major artist. a metal band doesn't get that signing bonus, or that million dollar deal that a pop group would.

realistically speaking, recording equipment (amps, effects pedals, mics, drum machines, samplers, keyboards, soundboards, computer programs, engineering tools, etc.) cost the same no matter what. so if you take two artists and make them both record an album, the only cost anyone has to worry about is the producer's fee, because all that equipment was supplied to that producer (by a record label) or paid for by himself. obviously, a well-known producer is going to charge a helluva lot more to produce a pop group than a mostly unknown producer would to produce a metal band.

so with that in mind, it does NOT cost as much to produce a metal band. with indy labels, if that overhead cost is going to advertising and touring instead of the artist, than why isn't metal as popular as it should be? those labels aren't dropping millions on an artist in an attempt to advertise more for them, so that means more advertising. if the advertising is there, than the fanbase should be as well.

edit: i'm not calling metal crap by any means. it's the most creative music of our time IMO. i'm merely saying that if the music industry can make a profit off of crap artists, than why aren't they making a profit off of talented metal bands as well?
21.02.2008 - 19:36
totaliteraliter
Written by b0000mst1ck on 21.02.2008 at 11:18
see, you're contradicting the reality of the industry. again, metal bands aren't given nearly as much money as major artists when they go to record an album. and i'm not talking about one well-known artist like iron maiden anymore, i'm talking about metal bands as a whole.

a new pop artist can be signed to a major label and given a multi-record, million dollar contract before they even start recording. indy labels give little to no money to a metal band because that small amount of overhead (that they already had) is instead allocated to advertising and touring. as far as producing an album is concerned, the band pays for a producer in most situations, unless they're signed under a major contract.

so when you look at the big financial picture, when all is said and done, it doesn't cost nearly as much to produce a metal band as it does a major artist. a metal band doesn't get that signing bonus, or that million dollar deal that a pop group would.

realistically speaking, recording equipment (amps, effects pedals, mics, drum machines, samplers, keyboards, soundboards, computer programs, engineering tools, etc.) cost the same no matter what. so if you take two artists and make them both record an album, the only cost anyone has to worry about is the producer's fee, because all that equipment was supplied to that producer (by a record label) or paid for by himself. obviously, a well-known producer is going to charge a helluva lot more to produce a pop group than a mostly unknown producer would to produce a metal band.

so with that in mind, it does NOT cost as much to produce a metal band. with indy labels, if that overhead cost is going to advertising and touring instead of the artist, than why isn't metal as popular as it should be? those labels aren't dropping millions on an artist in an attempt to advertise more for them, so that means more advertising. if the advertising is there, than the fanbase should be as well.

edit: i'm not calling metal crap by any means. it's the most creative music of our time IMO. i'm merely saying that if the music industry can make a profit off of crap artists, than why aren't they making a profit off of talented metal bands as well?

You're totally missing the mark. Cost is an irrelevant factor here, you have to think in terms of ROI. And you're comparing major labels with independent labels again, which is nonsensical.
22.02.2008 - 01:01
b0000mst1ck
Written by totaliteraliter on 21.02.2008 at 19:36

Written by b0000mst1ck on 21.02.2008 at 11:18

You're totally missing the mark. Cost is an irrelevant factor here, you have to think in terms of ROI. And you're comparing major labels with independent labels again, which is nonsensical.

lol, we're getting nowhere because you don't understand what i've been talking about. comparing major labels with indy labels is necessary when talking about something like this. there are indy bands that sell records as well as most artists on major labels, while metal bands don't because of their lack of promotion. it's more than relevant as it's a major factor of this debate. but i'm clearly wasting my time since you can't see that.

i give up. there's no reason anyone would misunderstand what i'm saying as i've been as clear as possible, and gone in-depth about everything numerous times. every aspect of a label hiring, recording, producing, and distributing a band has just as much to do with their success as anything else. if anyone else has an opinion they'd like to lend me, i'd appreciate it. otherwise, i'm done with this discussion. talking to a brick wall would be more effective at this point.
22.02.2008 - 08:10
totaliteraliter
Written by b0000mst1ck on 22.02.2008 at 01:01
lol, we're getting nowhere because you don't understand what i've been talking about. comparing major labels with indy labels is necessary when talking about something like this. there are indy bands that sell records as well as most artists on major labels, while metal bands don't because of their lack of promotion. it's more than relevant as it's a major factor of this debate. but i'm clearly wasting my time since you can't see that.

i give up. there's no reason anyone would misunderstand what i'm saying as i've been as clear as possible, and gone in-depth about everything numerous times. every aspect of a label hiring, recording, producing, and distributing a band has just as much to do with their success as anything else. if anyone else has an opinion they'd like to lend me, i'd appreciate it. otherwise, i'm done with this discussion. talking to a brick wall would be more effective at this point.

I'll try to explain again. Metal is more expensive to promote. I've been talking about marketing, the other costs that you bring up aren't relevant to this point. Let's define a band as "mainstream" when they sell 1,000,000 albums (@ $10 a pop) for the sake of this example. I think we've agreed that pop music in general is easier to absorb than metal, and as a result for it to be as successful it requires additional marketing efforts. So (all figures of course are imagined),

For pop band X to sell 1,000,000 albums and make $10,000,000, the label must spend $5,000,000 on promotion.

For metal band Y to sell 1,000,000 albums and make $10,000,000, the label must spend a little more because the metal single doesn't catch on as quickly, perhaps $7,000,000 (probably even more of a gap; consider the effort and money it would take to push something like Deicide or Graveland to the top of the charts).

This is what I'm saying. Pop music is more profitable when it comes to mass popularity. Major labels don't pick up metal bands and push them to Britney Spears levels of popularity because it isn't a good investment. This is why metal bands rarely if ever have major labels pushing them to Top 40 levels of success - there's no money in it. This is what I mean when I say metal bands are more expensive to market. When you are at the level of multiplatinum mainstream success (which I think is what we're talking about), recording (etc.) costs are presumably negligible in comparison to eventual revenue, and aren't the deciding factor when it comes to choosing what artists to pick up - marketability is.
28.02.2008 - 15:31
ANGEL REAPER
They still suck hard!!!!!
really this last award is based on the remaining fame of the band,and not on its quality,which they had before

----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
29.02.2008 - 07:21
selken
Irreligious
Please be musicians first before bashing bands for becoming popular!!!

Remember that many pop artists earn most of their money by advertising and similar stuff.
Anyway, I love metal, popular or not, is very popular in my house and for me "nothing else matters" xD.
----
29.02.2008 - 12:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.02.2008 at 15:31

really this last award is based on the remaining fame of the band,and not on its quality,which they had before

Remember that ALL awards are essentially about famer of the band and not about quality. Just look at the results of the Metal Storm Wards tomorrow and you'll see that the most popular/famous bands have won and that not the "best" has won.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2008 - 16:01
Stigmatized
Just a thought, don't know if someone has said this already. Bands that are famous are famous for a reason, they didn't make it that far by having their music suck.
29.02.2008 - 16:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Stigmatized on 29.02.2008 at 16:01

Just a thought, don't know if someone has said this already. Bands that are famous are famous for a reason, they didn't make it that far by having their music suck.

Alas, that isn't true in a lot of cases. A lot of bands are famous because they are backed by huge record companies who pay magazines for good reviews plus the companies back the bands immensely by paying for airplay, promotion, tours etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2008 - 04:22
Stigmatized
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.02.2008 at 16:20

Written by Stigmatized on 29.02.2008 at 16:01

Alas, that isn't true in a lot of cases. A lot of bands are famous because they are backed by huge record companies who pay magazines for good reviews plus the companies back the bands immensely by paying for airplay, promotion, tours etc.

I'm aware of that. Still, even after all the promotion, if people bought the album and hated it, no one would be at the shows.
01.03.2008 - 21:41
ANGEL REAPER
Are you guys sick or what? Now they look like fucking Britney Spears with backup band.......
At least before they got the respect of numberless metal fans worldwide.Now that fame starting to fade realy quick.Look me.. I was NIGHTWISH FAN NUMBER ONE and now I am realy disappointed.....

Anyway !RUST IN PAIN! KOSOVO IS SERBIA
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"