Metal Storm logo
NWOBHM

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 18.02.2008 - 10:37
What's to say? Just a topic for recommendation's and discussions on Classic Traditional Metal bands both alive and defunct. I haven't nearly paid enough attention to this genre as I should. There are so many gems yet to be discovered and I'd gladly take anything anyone is willing to dish out. Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm a fun of reading "old lore" on bands and how they influenced whom, where they came from, and what they put out. Classic!

A few band I've at least heard, and enjoyed would be the more common bands, such as Angel Witch, Satan, Motorhead, Pagan Altar, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Witchfinder General, and Tygers Of Pan Tang. Hopefully I can get some releases by these guys in the near future.
09.04.2009 - 19:26
Hellish Star

Well, KIT 2010 looks promising anyway.... Hades, Whiplash, Siren, Savage Grace, Anacrusis, Tygers Of Pan Tang,...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
09.04.2009 - 19:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Hellish Star on 09.04.2009 at 19:26

Well, KIT 2010 looks promising anyway.... Hades, Whiplash, Siren, Savage Grace, Anacrusis, Tygers Of Pan Tang,...

And somewhere I read also Candlemass performing Epicus Doomicus Metallicus with Johan Lanqvist doing the vocals.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.04.2009 - 19:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.04.2009 at 19:30

And somewhere I read also Candlemass performing Epicus Doomicus Metallicus with Johan Lanqvist doing the vocals.

lol it also says on the event page surprise surprise
09.04.2009 - 19:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 09.04.2009 at 19:32

Well, not surprising really. Cause that will the MAIN attraction. Considering that gig will only be the second time Lanqvist would have performed live with Candlemass, the first time being at the Candlemass 20th Anniversary gig (also available on dvd) where he did a couple of those old songs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.04.2009 - 22:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.04.2009 at 19:35

Written by Valentin B on 09.04.2009 at 19:32

Well, not surprising really. Cause that will the MAIN attraction. Considering that gig will only be the second time Lanqvist would have performed live with Candlemass, the first time being at the Candlemass 20th Anniversary gig (also available on dvd) where he did a couple of those old songs.

so i guess that should mean that the 2010 fest will be sold out huh?

anyway back to NWOBHM. are Motorhead and early Priest considered NWOBHM? i know Saxon is but what about these 2?
10.04.2009 - 01:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
JP not because early JP sound different how after Britsih Steale, but it isnt NWOBHM
Motorhead hmmm hard quasten, even if they dont belong there are huge connection between them and genre

Saxon WAS not is, because in late 80's they start play HM they say no to NWOBHM sound
listen ''Dogs of War'' and ''Princess Of the Night''
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.04.2009 - 12:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 09.04.2009 at 22:44

anyway back to NWOBHM. are Motorhead and early Priest considered NWOBHM? i know Saxon is but what about these 2?

Both bands weren't part of the NWOBHM. Although they released their most succesful releases up to that point during the nwobhm (namely Ace Of Spades & British Steel)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2010 - 03:27
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
I'm looking for some 70s and 80s style NWOBHM/Doom acts (old or new) that have occult and/or gothic horror lyrical themes. I'm thinking of bands like Cloven Hoof, Angel Witch, Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Hour of 13, Briton Rites, even some Mercyful Fate etc. Anyone have any suggestions?
----
The force will be with you, always.
21.05.2010 - 15:07
Charly546

Maybe Desolation Angels? If I'm reading your request right, then they'd be quite right for you - some Black Sabbath influence (fits the doom part), probably occult lyrical themes (I'm not that sure...) and they're NWOBHM.

Check out Hell (Gbr) also - this is pretty much mandatory. Strong Black Sabbath influence and I'm pretty sure they had occult themes. I'd suggest their first demo as starting point. Be warned though - they're quite raw.

Also some bands that may or may not meet you request: Demon (Gbr), Incubus (Gbr) and Marquis de Sade.
21.05.2010 - 20:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Try band slike DEALER(my fav)Trojan, Thunderstick , Wild Fire, Toranaga, Spartain Warrior, Warior(3 bands from UK all NWOBHM) Shiva, Urchin, Whitchfind, Scarab, Predatur, Marz, Horsepower, Black House, Bashful Alley and amny others , moust of those are only one single, ep, bands but all are online
----

apos;'
[image]
22.05.2010 - 11:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Clintagräm on 21.05.2010 at 03:27

I'm looking for some 70s and 80s style NWOBHM/Doom acts (old or new) that have occult and/or gothic horror lyrical themes. I'm thinking of bands like Cloven Hoof, Angel Witch, Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Hour of 13, Briton Rites, even some Mercyful Fate etc. Anyone have any suggestions?

yeah, those bands should work fine, Mercyful Fate imo is the band that best combines occult and nwobhm metal, even though they're not from the UK. like i said in the other thread, their self-titled demo/ep/whatever is abnormally awesome.
01.06.2010 - 02:34
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Anyone who considers themselves a fan of British HM must needs check out Virtue. I just found them today but they completely kick ass!
----
The force will be with you, always.
20.03.2011 - 23:02
Charly546

Seems to me that NWOBHM just won't die.

Hell (Gbr) is finally releasing an album (May 13th in Europe, 17th North America). Everything is rerecorded, but the original vocals have been used wherever possible. Oh and the whole project is led and produced by Andy Sneap, who was a fan of the band back when Hell was still going.

New versions (I think the old ones are also on Youtube, somewhere)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpkuYxyYM2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJqCnk3YUC4&feature=related

Here's also an old interview I found: http://isen-torr.blogspot.com/2010/07/hell-interview-2006.html
20.03.2011 - 23:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Charly546 on 20.03.2011 at 23:02

Hell (Gbr) is finally releasing an album (May 13th in Europe, 17th North America). Everything is rerecorded, but the original vocals have been used wherever possible. Oh and the whole project is led and produced by Andy Sneap, who was a fan of the band back when Hell was still going.

Here's also an old interview I found: http://isen-torr.blogspot.com/2010/07/hell-interview-2006.html

Can't wait for the full-length.
The 7" is really good.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2011 - 04:56
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Just came here to make surethat you all know Blitzkrieg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBq5iEP6rNE&feature=related
28.03.2011 - 21:32
ForeverDarkWoods

Written by Charly546 on 20.03.2011 at 23:02

The old stuff molests a lot of stuff released by well known bands.

Conflicted about the full length. Save us from those who would save us sounds really good re-recorded. If the rest of the album is more like that I would be very interested in this album. The new song rocks too, but they could drop the synth parts easily.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.03.2011 - 00:12
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 21.03.2011 at 04:56

The music ain't bad, but the vocalist is a lil weak imo.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
29.03.2011 - 01:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Yasmine on 29.03.2011 at 00:12

Written by Guest on 21.03.2011 at 04:56

The music ain't bad, but the vocalist is a lil weak imo.

Blizkriek and Diamon Head(ok Lighting To The Nations was awesome) vocals are week generaly
----

apos;'
[image]
23.04.2011 - 03:19
Balthazine

Who could forget the famous "Tank"? The band that inspired more thrash bands then I can count. One of which being the band that got me into metal, Artillery, whom got their name and inspiration from this song:
----
Sometimes in metal they have called me:
The Minneapolis Metal Music Examiner -I write articles on metal in the MN area for Examiner.com
The Metal Detector -A history of digging up old forgotten metal bands
Thrash Master -Famous for my Walls O' Thrash
21.08.2011 - 10:30
JCJen7

I have been listening to a lot of NWOBHM recently, and my favorites so far are definately Diamond Head, Angel Witch, and Def Leppard (first 2 albums of course).
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
25.03.2013 - 20:08
Aristarchos

My favourite nwobhm bands.
1 Iron Maiden
2 Pagan Altar
3 Saracen
4 Venom
5 Witchfinder general
23.04.2013 - 11:54
Hellish Star

The new SATAN sounds F A N T A S T I C ! ! ! !
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
24.04.2013 - 00:29
Vasil de Shumen

I think we forget about one of the best NWOBHM bands - LEGEND.
They are better than: Tygers Of Pan Tang, Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Holocaust, Cloven Hoof, Grim Reaper, Demon, Samson, Tank ...
"Death In The Nursery" (1982) and "Legend" (1981) are real jewels.
24.04.2013 - 00:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 24.04.2013 at 00:29

They are better than: Tygers Of Pan Tang, Witchfinder General, Pagan Altar, Holocaust, Cloven Hoof, Grim Reaper, Demon, Samson, Tank ...

Well Whitcfinder General and Pagan Altar are more doom , than NWOBHM, they also belong in doom genre, and I disagree about those , and Legend I know, even I just found out band has 2003 and 2013 albums out, hmmmm I dont know, but liek Ricco said about 2013 new Satan is awesome, I heard some sone songs and all was awesome
Samson, Tank, Raven are overated, well Beatiful ASshely also has good songs
----

apos;'
[image]
24.04.2013 - 01:11
Vasil de Shumen

Written by Bad English on 24.04.2013 at 00:53

Well Whitcfinder General and Pagan Altar are more doom , than NWOBHM ...

Legend I know, even I just found out band has 2003 and 2013 albums out ...

I agree with you about Witchfinder General.

And I recommend to listen Legend's "Still Screaming" - excellent album, one of my favorite records of 2003 ... of course - after the masterpiece "The August Engine" (Hammers Of Misfortune)
24.04.2013 - 20:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 24.04.2013 at 01:11

Well Whitcfinder General and Pagan Altar are more doom , than NWOBHM ...

Legend I know, even I just found out band has 2003 and 2013 albums out ...

I agree with you about Witchfinder General.

And I recommend to listen Legend's "Still Screaming" - excellent album, one of my favorite records of 2003 ... of course - after the masterpiece "The August Engine" (Hammers Of Misfortune)

all such kind of bands ha masterpiece one or two relised in 80\s
----

apos;'
[image]
12.07.2013 - 21:30
Teehee

I'm not sure whether this qualifies as NWOBHM as I'm not the biggest expert on that particular subgenre, but I find this pretty damn rocking:

15.09.2016 - 03:40
__Mailman

It's hard when it comes down to NWOBHM. It's not really a defined genre, so you get all sorts of things from speed metal to glam metal. I've listened to many NWOBHM bands recently and have found many that I really enjoy. Some are very obscure while others not so many. Here's the list:

Tysondog: I recommend their first album, Beware of the Dog. It's got some killer riffs in it and some nice vocals.

Dealer: I haven't heard anything but their debut, First Strike. It was released in the middle of the glam metal wave. It's sort of like Witchfynde's second album. Witchfynde's second album was sort of a mixture of songs similar to their debut and then commercial songs. Dealer's debut is like that, but the songs are more of a mix of commercial and classic rather than a mixture. What I'm saying may not make sense, but maybe you'll understand if you listen to the album.

Witchfynde: I recommend their first album, Give 'Em Hell. Their second album is pretty good as well, but, like I said, it's got a few commercial, glam songs on it. Witchfynde had a small influence on Metallica. They also inspired lyrical styles of black metal. The lyrical style of black metal was inspired by Witchfynde and Angel Witch, for the most part, because they sang about a lot of occult themes. However, the playing style, of course, was inspired by Venom. Witchfynde is a great band with great vocals and guitar.

Tokyo Blade: When I first heard of them, I though "There's no way I'd listen to a band called Tokyo Blade. Sounds completely lame." Boy, was I wrong. Their guitar riffs are supreme and the soloing is similar to Van Halen on some tracks. I recommend their debut, Tokyo Blade. Their second and more well-known album is more glam metal. It's not completely bad, but I enjoy their debut more.

Hell: Out of any NWOBHM band I've listened to (and I've heard a lot), Hell is the most vocal about their Satanic beliefs. But don't let that discourage you. Their debut was released in 2011, but all the songs were originally recorded in the early 1980s. I enjoy both albums, but Human Remains is my favorite. Definitely listen to their second one if you want. I just can't remember what it's called. They have extremely long intros to their songs, but it's worth a listen if you're looking for some great metal.

Savage: One of Metallica's largest influences. Like most NWOBHM bands, their debut, Loose 'N Lethal, is the only album really worth listening too. Their second album is too commercial. After listening to their debut, you'll understand how they influenced Metallica so much. On Metallica's debut, Kill 'Em All, you can hear a lot of Savage-like guitar.

Bleak House: Bleak House never released an album. However, this does not mean they aren't worth a listen. They sound like a 1970s hard rock band like UFO or Uriah Heep but they're still very heavy. The guitar in their songs is so good that it will make you sad that they never released an album. Their song "Rainbow Warrior" sounds exactly like Metallica's "One." However, I do not know if Bleak House was an influence on Metallica. Unfortunately, the band is not together anymore, meaning that a full-length album is very unlikely.

Elixir: Elixir was formed during the NWOBHM, but they never released anything during it. However, this does not mean they aren't considered part of the wave. From what I've heard from this band, they are undoubtedly one of the best NWOBHM bands I know. I've only listened to their debut, Son Of Odin. I have yet to hear their other albums which I am eager to check out. Their debut was released in 1986, and, unlike Dealer, it's pure heavy metal (don't get me wrong, Dealer is great).

Macaxe: Like Bleak House, Macaxe never released a full album. They did, however, release an 11-track demo called Attack!. In fact, Attack! was their only release. The guitar is good, but the production quality is very, very, very poor.

Quartz: Probably the least obscure band on this list. Quartz is most known for their second album, Stand Up And Fight. Stand Up And Fight is indeed a great album. They were able to build off of their first album while other NWOBHM bands were simplifying their sound after their debut. Quartz' debut album, simply titled Quartz, is a good album. In fact, I'm listening to it now.
15.09.2016 - 03:51
__Mailman

Written by Vasil de Shumen on 24.04.2013 at 00:29

Well Whitcfinder General and Pagan Altar are more doom , than NWOBHM, they also belong in doom genre, and I disagree about those , and Legend I know, even I just found out band has 2003 and 2013 albums out, hmmmm I dont know, but liek Ricco said about 2013 new Satan is awesome, I heard some sone songs and all was awesome
Samson, Tank, Raven are overated, well Beatiful ASshely also has good songs

Well, NWOBHM isn't a genre. It's a wave. Witchfinder General and Pagan Alter were part of that wave.
20.03.2024 - 16:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Irish band Testament

----

apos;'
[image]