Metal Storm logo
NWOBHM

Original post

Posted by Clintagräm, 18.02.2008 - 10:37
What's to say? Just a topic for recommendation's and discussions on Classic Traditional Metal bands both alive and defunct. I haven't nearly paid enough attention to this genre as I should. There are so many gems yet to be discovered and I'd gladly take anything anyone is willing to dish out. Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm a fun of reading "old lore" on bands and how they influenced whom, where they came from, and what they put out. Classic!

A few band I've at least heard, and enjoyed would be the more common bands, such as Angel Witch, Satan, Motorhead, Pagan Altar, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Witchfinder General, and Tygers Of Pan Tang. Hopefully I can get some releases by these guys in the near future.
Today - 19:18
Metal Rasputin

I can't say I have any single obscure gem to recommend, but I can recommend this book called "The N.W.O.B.H.M Encyclopedia" by Malc Macmillan. The title tells you everything you need to know: it's all here, 800+ pages worth of obscure bands, demos, albums, ep's, everything. I can't believe a human being put so much effort into this huge pile of underground metal, like most of the bands were nothing more than one ep wonders, some of them released only one demo, and this hardcore dude has everything covered in detail. That's insane.

Edit. Seems I made a great discovery after all: the band is proggy metal group Big Daisy and their only single Footprints On The Water/Fever is actually brilliant, and surprisingly not dated at all. The singer/bass player later played also on Wishbone Ash if I recall correctly.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!