05. Enioreh Ym
06. My Heroine
07. Misfired Treaty
08. So Tired
09. Deep Coma
10. Together
11. Carcinogenic (Remix)
12. Together (Remix total)

"Figurines" is the first album of a young combo from France, Machina Deus Ex. The band plays some kind of Gothic Metal which is clearly inspired by Lacuna Coil. The main difference between those two bands comes from the fact that Machina Deus Ex is a bit more electronic and ambient, that's a good point in my opinion even if let's be honest Machina Deux Ex still have a lot of work to do if they want to compete with bands like Lacuna Coil?

We have some good points on "Figurines". First, this album is original because it's no so common to listen to this kind of ambient electronic Metal mixed with heavy riffs and sometime real double bass drums. The melancholic ambiances of "Figurines" mixed with the cold spirit of the machines (the electronic side of the album) are not bad at all but I don't know why something is missing too. We have good bases I think but the music of Machina Deus Ex is a bit too generic and even if I didn't find any horrible songs there is nothing so outstanding and all in all it's a bit average? The thing is that the songs are a bit uncoloured and basic but I think that it should change with time, it's just a matter of experiences I my opinion.

The second problem of "Figurines" is that the production is a bit average. Sometime it's even hard to clearly hard all the instruments, sounds and singer. It's sad because the music of the band is complex and deserves a better sound. Also, I must confess that if the voice of the female singer Sandrine Rubio is good, the male vocalist Gregory has a really disturbing voice and I don't really like it? Some people will find it weird and plus, unfortunately like with the male singer of Lacuna Coil he is not so essential in my opinion?

"Figurines" has some good passages and good ideas but something is missing here; probably experiences and maturity. The music of Machina Deus Ex is not bad let's hope that the band will find a way to write some songs a bit catchier and not so linear and it should work for them in the future. "Figurines" is a good start, that's not perfect as you already know but promising if they know how to add some other elements in their future compositions.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 8
Production: 6

Written by Jeff | 19.02.2008

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 52 users
20.02.2008 - 01:44
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
I listened to two songs ('Carcinogenic' and 'My Heroine') on the band's MySpace page (here).

The electronic elements mixed to metal sound interesting. This album is not a must to have but it is not a bad album too.
21.02.2008 - 11:25
FOOCK Nam

Ver appropriate rate, I agree. This is just so so music.

Hits total: 5322 | This month: 5