Metal Storm logo
Pain of Salvation

Original post

Posted by meTalcoholic, 17.05.2006 - 04:44
I have heard so many people claiming that it is so hard to "get into" Pain of Salvation's concept albums because of the depth and complexity of the music and the concept/storyline. I personally have always been able to dive right in with every album of theirs, but from what I have observed, I am a minority. So I'm wondering what you guys think about this amazing Swedish prog band overall, and especially when it comes to the complexity of the topics they address.
26.05.2010 - 16:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BloodTears on 26.05.2010 at 16:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.05.2010 at 19:50

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 23.05.2010 at 19:41

No one is judging it as a metal album. We are judging it as a PoS album.

Newither was I. Cause as a metal album it would be crap. As a Pain Of Salavation album it is mediocre.

Yes ALL of the stuff before this one.
Is there any particular Pain of Salvation album you like?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2010 - 16:56
Fat & Sassy!

You having issues quoting people, Marcel? XD

Anyways (even though no one asked me), the only PoS album I don't find too interesting is Scarsick (surprise, surprise). Oh, and when I'm not in the mood for extreme pretentiousness, BE bores me. I have a love/hate relationship with that album... We're working it out though.
26.05.2010 - 17:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 26.05.2010 at 16:56

You having issues quoting people, Marcel? XD

Damn, it's this computer. Somehow it tends to scroll up when wanting type something.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.05.2010 - 17:04
Fat & Sassy!

That sucks. I've noticed that you've been doing it wrong a few times in the last couple days. XD It's okay though... Someone in Blind Guardian's thread totally quoted herself saying something I said.
28.05.2010 - 20:07
ylside

Listening to Road Salt one right now, it is average all in all except for Sleeping Under the Stars which I like very much. The thing is, I always rediscover albums later on, and from my experience PoS grows on me, so I'll give Road Salt one or two years to allow proper fermentation in my ears. lol.
14.03.2011 - 03:29
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Reading throuth interviews of them i really wonder why they sing in english , i think they should star singing in swedish
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
16.03.2011 - 09:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 14.03.2011 at 03:29

Reading throuth interviews of them i really wonder why they sing in english , i think they should star singing in swedish

so what do they say that it makes you think so?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.03.2011 - 10:23
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Oh well i will have to look over some interviews, this can take me a while, i'll be back later with some quotations
----
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
16.03.2011 - 15:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by ylside on 28.05.2010 at 20:07

Listening to Road Salt one right now, it is average all in all except for Sleeping Under the Stars which I like very much. The thing is, I always rediscover albums later on, and from my experience PoS grows on me, so I'll give Road Salt one or two years to allow proper fermentation in my ears. lol.

This album is so weird that calling it average is almost wrong per se. I had troubles getting into but after not so many listens started making sense to me. You have to really "get" this album. Taking a break is good, but I wouldn't wait for two years: it's not that complicated; it's just different. I listened to it today, and I even thought about it being somehow similar to The Dark Side of the Moon, or maybe Pink Floyd in general due to some calm, relaxing but dark, brooding, and psychedelic, and still rocking although immensely weird.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.03.2011 - 01:09
Abattoir

Just have watched the new video "Where It Hurts" on the youtube, but they have already banned it...quite lame, yet understandable in one way. Well there is a censored version of it, which ain't good as the original one

31.03.2011 - 07:16
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Written by Abattoir on 31.03.2011 at 01:09

Just have watched the new video "Where It Hurts" on the youtube, but they have already banned it...quite lame, yet understandable in one way. Well there is a censored version of it, which ain't good as the original one

why was it banned for ??
----
31.03.2011 - 10:24
Abattoir

Written by Music4TheSpirit on 31.03.2011 at 07:16

Written by Abattoir on 31.03.2011 at 01:09

why was it banned for ??

Well apparently due the nudity, some blood and a bit of sex scene...
31.03.2011 - 11:53
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This song is ridiculously good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.04.2011 - 11:49
zero

I don't know what to think about Road Salt one. It's like i was still waiting for the same feelings I felt with Scrasick but it's definitly different. I saw them in live and they even changed their visual style and instruments. I think i like the album but i'm not as fan as i used to be with previous albums. If i pick separed parts of some songs i'd call them "fucking genius" but some parts are so boring (the 1st song for exemple). They are still awesome but I could rate every album with a 9.5/10. This time, Road Salt One get 7.5/10
08.04.2011 - 19:51
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Written by K✞ulu on 16.03.2011 at 09:41

Well I haven't found the interviews, but he was talking about doing music for real, and not making music for masses, and was talking about the industry and the markets, so what i mean, if you don't do music for masses nor it's for a particular market, why don't you sing in your mother language in fisrt place?
----
08.04.2011 - 22:31
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 08.04.2011 at 19:51

Written by K✞ulu on 16.03.2011 at 09:41

Well I haven't found the interviews, but he was talking about doing music for real, and not making music for masses, and was talking about the industry and the markets, so what i mean, if you don't do music for masses nor it's for a particular market, why don't you sing in your mother language in fisrt place?

mmm I see your point, but maybe he just likes singing in English, like I love English. I also write a lot lyrics in English, actually almost everything I write is in English, but that's due to circumstances and life path in my case. I don't know about Daniel.

But I think they are writing music "for real" because of how unique their sound is. I haven't listened to Scarsick much, but it seems that it was something truly unexpected after "BE," and then now Road Salt is also so weird. This type of sound wouldn't sell easily even for metalheads or prog fans. This album has some sort of particular feeling about it and you must share to get into it; so, it is hardly "for the masses."
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

04.04.2012 - 23:52
Milena
gloom cookie
Just bumping this because everything is Pain Of Salvation and Pain Of Salvation is everything all over again for me.
I tend to do this with bands.
And I love the way their music hurts me and I thought I could never get out of the last year's situation and I wonder how am I ever gonna get used to the new guys and all.

Just damn. I love them.
----
7.0 means the album is good
05.04.2012 - 03:55
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 04.04.2012 at 23:52

And I love the way their music hurts me and I thought I could never get out of the last year's situation and I wonder how am I ever gonna get used to the new guys and all.

Rumors are they are coming to play to South America this year. Too bad I will be only seeing Daniel :/
At least I saw some recent live videos and the musicians are good, but "Chain Sling" without Johan...

Just no.
05.04.2012 - 08:56
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 05.04.2012 at 03:55

Rumors are they are coming to play to South America this year. Too bad I will be only seeing Daniel :/
At least I saw some recent live videos and the musicians are good, but "Chain Sling" without Johan...

Just no.

I got sick when they came to Serbia and tried to crawl out of bed for a journey to Belgrade, but didn't quite manage to get out of Kragujevac and that was after several months of looking who was I supposed to go with, since none of my friends listen to PoS of course, and actually finding a person, which rarely happens.
So, no Johan and no Fredrik never ever for me either.
We can always cry together I guess.
----
05.04.2012 - 15:55
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 05.04.2012 at 08:56

So, no Johan and no Fredrik never ever for me either.
We can always cry together I guess.

Let's do that while we remember how awesome they were with this video.

05.04.2012 - 16:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Unhealer on 05.04.2012 at 15:55

Let's do that while we remember how awesome they were with this video

Johan's almost equally as awesome a singer as Daniel is. I wish he'd return to music for a project which would require him to take the lead.
----
07.04.2012 - 20:40
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This Johan topic is so depressing... I'm trying to repress this guys.
----

My Instagram
08.04.2012 - 05:10
Unhealer
Eclecticist
When he left POS he said he would be starting his own project soon; something that doesn't demand so much time and effort since he wanted to be more with his family.
13.04.2012 - 21:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
So maybe an instrumental album?
----

My Instagram
13.04.2012 - 22:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Would like to hear him sing.
----
20.06.2012 - 22:35
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Complete (I think) recording of the recent acoustic show in Leipzig here.
Very good quality. A taste:

09.07.2012 - 16:05
helofloki

Pain of Salvation has been my favorite forever. I love how they can still rock it acoustic. Road Salt II was the first album of theirs where I was really disappointed, but it's growing on me. I guess I felt similar with Scarsick. TPE and Remedy Lane will always be my favs, I have a feeling they will not be returning to that sound. However, I really enjoyed Road Salt One. It was different, but the music still carried an immense amount of creativity and I really enjoyed the production.

It's always fun trying to figure out what the hell this band will do next.
09.07.2012 - 20:25
BloodTears
ANA-thema
That is a good question. What will they do next?

I can't figure out because this is basically a new band.
----

My Instagram
09.07.2012 - 23:33
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by BloodTears on 09.07.2012 at 20:25

That is a good question. What will they do next?

I can't figure out because this is basically a new band.

Well, we have the acoustic album coming with old songs reworked.
After that... who knows? I see they are embracing older fashions more and more... I guess we could be hearing some more country, bluegrass and folk inspired stuff.

And I just had a deja vu.
07.09.2012 - 20:44
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I feel sad that both Fredrick Hermansson and Johan Hallgreen left the band. I can't get over it really. I completely understand that they have other important things to do, taking care of the family and so forth, but still, they along with Daniel himself were part of the reason why I began loving this band as much as I do now. Well, I hope the new members are able to do the material justice.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).