Metal Storm logo
Favorite Iron Maiden guitarist

Original post

Posted by Smurfophagist, 25.02.2008 - 14:25
I wanted to hear your opinions on Iron Maiden's guitarists. Which one is your favorite one?
My personal favorite is Adrian Smith. I find his musical style to be quite versatile, his solos and his riffs are equally breathtaking. He is also probably one of my favorite guitar players of all times.

Poll

Which one is Your favorite Iron Maiden guitar player?

Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers

Total votes: 128
04.08.2008 - 23:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Quite true but does cuteness count? Because Murray is so cute
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
12.08.2008 - 13:47
Blizzard Shadow
Account deleted
In my life, Gers and Smith are "only" fine guitarists, even though Smith did fuckin' great job with all the levels of Somewhere In Time. But Murray has such a special beauty in his playing. Everytime I listen Matter Of Life And Death example, every song comes to its best part when Murray plays his solos. Ya know, there's an ocean called "Iron Maiden", and it's full of great metal magic, but Murray is like the brightest star in the dark winter sky, reflecting from the waves. Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg, UGH!
19.09.2008 - 04:05
MortalTheory
Account deleted
i really like smith solos. that just happens to be my deciding factor
11.10.2008 - 13:29
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
daveeee #1:maniac:
20.11.2008 - 09:03
Justice

I voted janick gers cause I love his style
but all are great legends
28.11.2008 - 06:02
laid2rest
Account deleted
I'm gonna go with Adrian Smith. Dunno why, I've just always liked him.
19.08.2009 - 20:27
terrorist

I voted for Janick jusy because he has lilttle votes.I respect all three guitarist and i think all of them are great musicians and each of them are unique and equaly valuable for Iron Maiden.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
24.08.2009 - 05:13
Urizen367

I like adrian the most. he's got a really strong, blues approach that i just love.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
27.08.2009 - 22:31
soadbyob
Account deleted
Ive always leaned to murray over the other two
31.08.2009 - 13:10
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
I'ved always loved how Dave loves to do bends, Bends done right, cause you can over do them, but done right AHHH sends those chills running through your Body, so without a doubt Dave
15.09.2009 - 17:02
Angel Of Mercy

I love all of the three Maiden guitarists equally (sp?). they are all fast, they all play with feeling AND the most important part it (for me) is the melodicness the playing (Intro to "Blood Brothers" I was thinking) and they are all exceptional live players. I' would have to say Gers though for the rock in rio moment when he get's attacked by Eddie and hits him in the Crotch.
----
Your time will come.
18.09.2009 - 16:14
Guib
Thrash Talker
MURRAY FOR LIFE !!!!!

well Gers and Smith rocks too... but Like I just said

MURRAY FOR LIFE
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.09.2009 - 11:56
ToMegaTherion

As i would have expected, Dave and Adrian take most of the vote bar a few individuals. But i must say i have to follow the crowd to some extent. Dave Murray I think is Maidens best, he is the mainstay and the rock of the band with Steve Harris. Adrien is probably the better guitarest, but it just would be Maiden without Dave Murray.
I also want to mention Gers, he is an awesome guitarest and is definately in the same league as Dave and Adrian, not at all out of place in the same list. But for me Dave and Steve defined Maiden, the sound and the image. Of course all the members have played their part, but those two are the mainstays.
22.09.2009 - 21:50
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Dennis Stratton who played guitars on IM's debut album should not be forgotten, I've always liked the guitar work on this album. (Dave+Dennis).
22.09.2009 - 23:35
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 22.09.2009 at 21:50

Dennis Stratton who played guitars on IM's debut album should not be forgotten, I've always liked the guitar work on this album. (Dave+Dennis).

Yeah thats true.. he was good too.. but you know he didn't really defined Maiden's sound
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.09.2009 - 01:07
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 22.09.2009 at 23:35

Yeah thats true.. he was good too.. but you know he didn't really defined Maiden's sound

it's true he didn't define the IM sound, but he contributed I guess to the early Maiden.
23.09.2009 - 05:09
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 23.09.2009 at 01:07

Written by Guib on 22.09.2009 at 23:35

it's true he didn't define the IM sound, but he contributed I guess to the early Maiden.

Of course he did
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.09.2009 - 13:20
Heru Goroth

Adrian is the best m/
----
Yes, you are indeed the few;
I am the one...
04.10.2009 - 11:39
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
It has to be dave murray and no one else.smith comes a close second.murray is the wise counsel of the band.his rhythm and solo parts are simply the best.all of maiden classics has his stamp on it.be it murders in the rue morgue upto now.he is my personal maiden favourite and as well as india's.up the irons.
22.01.2010 - 03:36
thewall30

Man this is a tough one, because their all amazing, but I gotta go with Dave Murray...
----
24.01.2010 - 23:39
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Dave is by far the best. His chops are much better than Adrian and Janick, and come on, "Run to the Hills" is just a fucking kewl solo
29.04.2010 - 17:28
adean_bllzr

I´ve always liked Adrian Smith. His way to play, his feeling.....it´s so amazing. He is not the fastest, but his contributions, compositions and chorus voices.......he is unique.
----
"Eternity.....a gift I no longer want"
Novembers Doom
29.04.2010 - 20:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by BloodTears on 04.08.2008 at 23:26

Quite true but does cuteness count? Because Murray is so cute

Murray's look and attitude during interviews just scream "GAY" imo. he seems a bit like one of those drag queens you see on the gay parades but i do admit i made a mistake by voting Smith instead of him, Murray is a better guitarist and a better songwriter than Smith.
30.04.2010 - 11:28
Saitenhexerin

I am a Maiden fan for almost 10 years now (god, I'm so old :/ ) and I always have adored Dave. Adrian and Janick are also great, but Davey is just Maiden for me. His solos are the apotheosis of a "proper Heavy Metal" solo and they are full of feeling, yet virtous and still kick ass. He's also an excellent songwriter, my favourite of his songs being "Still Life" for years and years now, and his tone is so amazing.
I could tell which solos were his in an instant, because that intonation is just so unique for him. Dave Murray is probably the main reason why I started to play guitar, just because listening to his playing is gives one this incredible feeling.
Furthermore, he's a great player live and has a great stage presence but still does not want to be in the spotlight all the time.
And if anybody is still doubtful about his playing, then please go and listen to his "Out of the Shadows" solo... or the "The Trooper" solo...
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
29.07.2010 - 03:24
Brutalhellblazer

OMG!
Love 'Em All!(Kill 'em all!)
all of them are gr8,but I like Adrian much more...
I can't help myself with a song that is written by Harris-Smith or D!ckinson-Smith...
he is gettin' better...I think Sattelite15...The Final Frontier s Solo is written by Smith...he has a special sound on guitar...
he's the best!
----
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known
29.07.2010 - 05:09
Anarchy2012

Dave Murray all the way. His riffs just command attention, and his solos are absolutely timeless. Not to take anything away from Janick and Adrian, but Dave is the best.
----
Im not racist. I hate everyone regardless of other issues.
03.04.2011 - 23:35
blacktooth85

Dave Murray
04.04.2011 - 03:44
renai

Janick gers
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
13.04.2011 - 03:17
John Sandman

Adrian Smith for me.
17.04.2011 - 23:11
arwestromen

Adrian Smith because of the solos on the somewhere in time album
Janick Gers because of his live perfomance
Dave Murray because he's not the "new" guitarist and he's not the guitarist who left and came back
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA