Metal Storm logo
Songs for a guitar exam

14.06.2006 - 14:55
ylside

Skills, variety and confidence... Well, I don't know if you like heavy/prog, power and such, but those are the best at showing rythm mastery (especially straighforward power metal songs with a continuous flow of power chords).

In the case you don't like power metal, As you said, Opeth, I recommend you "Harvest". Nice chords in the middle of the song. Katatonia's "The Sleeper". Anyway that was for soft songs.

For more a aggressive sound, Thrash. Kreator's "Betrayer", "Reconquering The Throne".
I don't think BM holds overwhelming skills, DM does, but at a very high level, so if you're able to lay down some Necrophagist that would amazing.

And well, skills..You already know it I think, either prog, or Technical Death. Good luck.
14.06.2006 - 19:52
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
2/3 genres of metal or 2/3 genres of music? I'm guessing the latter In any case, I'd pick something from Led Zeppelin, always a sure choice with classics like Heartbreaker or Whole Lotta Love. Some classical guitar would be good too, like Concerto de Aranjuez (not easy, though).

For some groovy stuff perhaps something from James Brown, or Wild Cherry's legendary Play That Funky Music White Boy.

Point being, 2/3 genres of metal doesn't show that much variety, especially to someone who doesn't listen to metal
14.06.2006 - 21:34
ylside

Written by Guest on 14.06.2006 at 19:52

Point being, 2/3 genres of metal doesn't show that much variety, especially to someone who doesn't listen to metal

Oh, sure.. completely forgot about that !
15.06.2006 - 11:11
WarriorOfMetal

for my private lesson final exams at berklee i have done:

Arch Enemy -- Losing Faith
Borknagar -- Matter & Motion (the piano part and part of the guitar part, arranged for 7-string guitar)
Arch Enemy -- Hybrids of Steel
Nevermore -- The Riverdragon Has Come
15.06.2006 - 18:04
Vinnie R.
Chido Chido
It can be winter from vivaldi
a past and future secret from blind guardian
rebirth from angra
16.06.2006 - 17:01
Sunioj

man made God from in flames, or almost anything from kalmah.
17.06.2006 - 02:12
Immortal Plague
Bloodshedder
For Death Metal play, Hammer Smashed Face - Cannibal Corpse, Vader - Wings, Babykiller - Devourment.

For Black Metal play, Blood Fire Death - Bathory, Mother North - Satyricon, I Am The Black Wizards - Emperor.

For Thrash play, Blasphemer - Sodom, Spill The Blood - Slayer, Violent Revolution - Kreator.

And if your looking for a song with all really cool guitars try Viking Kong by Racer X.
17.06.2006 - 16:20
marinBG

If you wanna show off (that's what you do on exams ) play something by Children Of Bodom that would have guitar leads troughout the whole song and you won't be just riffing. I don't think Opeth is a good choice unless you cannot really play that well and you will show skills by playing just riffs which I must tell you is nothing. Another good chlice might be good old Masmsteen. Another very good choice might be to just take a classical composition and just metal it up... actually I think that should defenetly be one of the four songs.
----
...cause I don't give a fuck if you hate me!
17.06.2006 - 16:43
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
I guess you people apply a different meaning to the word "variety" than I do
17.06.2006 - 17:14
marinBG

I don't know bout the others, but I personally am giving sugesstions only for the metal song(s). For the others she should ask somebody else...
Btw also stuff like Vai and Satriani might be a great bet, if you can pull it off, of course..
----
20.06.2006 - 18:17
Bulus

Try paranoid, by Black Sabbath, it doesn't hard, IMO. or some Iron Maiden, like Phantom of The Opera, or Afraid to Shoot Stranger. i theink they all good songs
22.06.2006 - 22:28
W-Lash
Metal Master
I had a topic in old MS "Recommend me songs for playing" or something similar and one person recommended to play Canon Rock by JerryC. Use Google or DC++ to find it - i think it can be very good and it sounds really cool.
23.06.2006 - 20:13
Aresius
Account deleted

I agree with MicTlaN...Winter by Antonio Vivaldi is a masterpiece...you should consider it...Im having a very similar exam in a couple of weeks, and Im goin' to play Yngwie Malmsteen's Far Beyond the Sun...but I guess you need variety...you cant stick to metal, so yeah, try some classical stuff, and some flamenco as well...I really dont know how good you are, but you should also try some technical stuff, like Spastic Ink for example...and if you want something different you should play Hotel California by Eagles...I can assure you that they'll give you an A+...believe me

24.06.2006 - 06:21
rat eat boy
Account deleted
Well, I guess it's the most about your technical skills. But the choice of song matters a lot too. Choose preferrably something beatiful, and something original. Choose musically versatile songs. It propably isn't the best idea that you choose only songs with typical "metal" solos, or typical blues solos. Just listen to your favorite songs, and don't be afraid to listen to something new too, and choose from that. A good tip would be that don't just choose distorted songs, be versatile. A good tactic is to choose music from different time eras. The possibilities are endless.

But, all of this depends of course how good you are technically. One good thing to keep in mind is that to not choose anything that doesn't match your technical skills. It ain't gonna work. Emphasize on your strengths for the exam. It's really hard to say any songs, 'cause I don't know your technical level. But I guess your at a pretty good level, if you're taking your final exam in guitar. Choose songs that feels the best to play, and what sounds the best.

Opeth is propably pretty good for the exam, depends on what song though.
And I agree with many that Yngwie Malmsteen or Vivaldi are good options.
25.06.2006 - 10:39
marinBG

I think that exams is probably well in the past by now and we're still givin suggestions and suggestions
----
28.06.2006 - 21:14
marinBG

cool than hihik
----
30.06.2006 - 08:58
W-Lash
Metal Master
By the way Gary Moore has recorded awesome song in album Wild Frontier - it's called The Loner. Maybe it's too easy for you but it's veeeeerry good. It sounds fantastic.
If you play acoustic you can play Soldier Of Fortune by Deep Purple.
02.07.2006 - 22:15
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...have u heard jason becker??
try serrana o air...those are great songs...difficult yes, but it depends on your skills...check them out
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
06.07.2006 - 19:00
Sune
Account deleted
Written by W-Lash on 22.06.2006 at 22:28

I had a topic in old MS "Recommend me songs for playing" or something similar and one person recommended to play Canon Rock by JerryC. Use Google or DC++ to find it - i think it can be very good and it sounds really cool.

Or just go to his official site where you can download the tabs for guitar pro, and you can download a backingtrack for it..And the video where he plays it..it's a great song, and should impress anyone.

www.jerryc.tw (a snippet of canon rock is also what you hear in the background on the site)

just go to "Lessons" and find the tab and backingtrack, and you can of course download the video in "video"
08.07.2006 - 16:54
W-Lash
Metal Master
If you wanna something more technical you can get song called Spiders Kiss played by Neglected Fields. It's technical death metal and probably you'll like it.
05.09.2006 - 01:35
lordz
IzZo
if you like blues... Eric Clapton has alot of good easy songs!
05.09.2006 - 02:28
heresiarch
Forever Dead
When I was 18 my exam was guitar adaptation of Mozart's piano Sonata Rondo Alla Turca it is mind wrecking

I recommend that you choose something else
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
05.09.2006 - 02:50
LethargyMan

Bark at the Moon...

Good Charlotte's Boys and Girls...

... and Meshuggah's I.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
07.09.2006 - 03:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Well, as far as diversity, there is an old Jazz tune instructors love called "Satin Doll",
another good song that maby you should go for (If you can handle it) is the dance of eternity
by dream Theater, if you could play that, ANY instructor would be blown out of the water.
then for rock Led Zeppelin is good, probably Stairway to heaven (Generic but effective)
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
22.09.2006 - 09:45
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
if your good enough you can play classical gas as a nice non metal song (its still good) though it does require a fair bit of practice
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
22.09.2006 - 09:45
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
sorry everyone about that

i hate lag

EDIT just changed it
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
22.09.2006 - 20:31
ASiema113

Well as far as skill goes and if you want something unique I'd throw some Buckethead into the mixer. A good metal song to play if you have the skill I'd do Spokes For The Wheels Of Torment ,changes up quite a bit, for classical I'd try some Chopin he was always very arranged with his music(even if his life was deranged) but he has some remarkable pieces of work, and if you'd like something lighter try some Frank Gambale a master of his craft but you're gonna have to know how to sweep for most of his stuff but I see sweeping in blues/jazz less challenging and maybe good practice for sweeping in metal stuff like Nile.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
09.10.2007 - 22:00
iMPERiAL_iCE
Weeping Heart
I think John Norum (Europe ex-guitarist) is a wonderful guitarist and has some hard stuff too, I think everybody should try "shimmering heights" absolutely amazing
----
The older I get.........The faster I was

Smurfilator -- back when Smurf Metal existed :'(
11.12.2007 - 12:49
RockeRoy

Do a dream theater meddley!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell