Metal Storm logo
Dismal Euphony

27.02.2008 - 10:28
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I am interested to see who here on MS is familiar with the Norwegian gothic/black metal band, Dismal Euphony. They evolved quite a bit over their career, from an offbeat black metal to a unique and experimental version of gothic metal, with only hints of black metal left. They released 4 full-length CDs from 1996 until 2001, when they quietly disappeared and presumably disbanded. They also released an MCD as well as EP during their career.

1995/1996 "Spellbound" MCD
1996 "Soria Moria Slott"
1997 "Autumn Leaves - The Rebellion Of Tides"
1999 "All Little Devils"
2000 "Lady Ablaze" EP
2001 "Python Zero"

Most people I've had a chance to talk to about the band strongly prefer their 1997 disc, "Autumn Leaves," even though the production is a bit lacking by today's standards. It features the final performances of female vocalist Keltziva and keyboardist Elin, and in my opinion the band's best lyrics as well. Another female vocalist, Anja, appears on the final 2 CDs and EP, and while I really enjoy her performance as well, many fans of the 1997 work do not care for it as much.

What are your thoughts on the band, if you have heard them at all?
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
27.02.2008 - 14:00
Deadsoulman

A friend of mine had the 1997 release "Autumn Leaves" so I heard it a couple of times a few years ago. I remember I was impressed back then, especially by the melodies, but it is all a bit blurred in my mind now. I'll try to find their albums somewhere and come back with a more documented opinion

PS: When I saw on the main board "dismaleuphony in Dismal Euphony" I thought you were indulging in unashamed self-promotion
27.02.2008 - 16:19
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Deadsoulman on 27.02.2008 at 14:00

A friend of mine had the 1997 release "Autumn Leaves" so I heard it a couple of times a few years ago. I remember I was impressed back then, especially by the melodies, but it is all a bit blurred in my mind now. I'll try to find their albums somewhere and come back with a more documented opinion

PS: When I saw on the main board "dismaleuphony in Dismal Euphony" I thought you were indulging in unashamed self-promotion

I was considering changing my screen name for a bit just to avoid the confusion.... but... I figured that it would draw attention to itself if I left it, so perhaps I am right!

Glad to see they left some form of an impression on you, I would like to see what you would think of them now
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
28.02.2008 - 16:46
VPeter

ik like the few songs they have on their myspace, I even scence a folk influence here adn there, is there a folk influecene on the other songs?
28.02.2008 - 20:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hahhahha nice tread I know band but I know fiew songs and us I read band's only early albums are good its something like Lacrimas Perfondum
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.02.2008 - 04:47
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by VPeter on 28.02.2008 at 16:46

ik like the few songs they have on their myspace, I even scence a folk influence here adn there, is there a folk influecene on the other songs?

Well I would say that many of the tracks on those myspace songs, from their 1996 release are in the same vein. On their 1997 they have a full accoustic song in what I assume is Norwegian, but that's the end of it. If you like what you hear on the myspace songs, I would look into their 1996 CD then. The CD release, though, has a different mix than what you hear on the myspace page songs; Napalm Records (according to the bio on the page) forced the band to remix their material.... So the mix on the CD has very soft drums, synths that are a bit too high in the mix, and a sound that takes a bit to get used to. I think the original mix is better, but the CD mix is certainly good too!

But the band evolves from CD to CD - so each disc has its own sound, and style, so I would try one disc at a time

If you are interested in song samples, try this site: Italian Dismal Euphony site. The last time I checked their samples worked? Or of course amazon.com may have some?
----
29.02.2008 - 04:50
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2008 at 20:18

Hahhahha nice tread I know band but I know fiew songs and us I read band's only early albums are good its something like Lacrimas Perfondum

Yes, I know many fans of the early Dismal Euphony CDs, with Keltziva and Elin, that don't care much for the band's later work. I think they are missing out, but yes, you are right, they evolved a lot and their sound on their last 2 CDs (and vocalist Anja) may not be for older fans. I, however, love a band that can change over time, and still have the same energy they had in the beginning. Personally I'd say they took direction not so different than a band like Trail Of Tears did, but Dismal Euphony was more experimental with arrangements - for better and for worse.
----
01.08.2008 - 19:51
vanishing_dream

I just recently found this band. Very interesting stuff (Too many bands nowadays drive me to boredom so it's nice to hear something...better.) Autumn Leaves is for me the essential album (musically, and like dismaleuphony said, it has great lyrics. Hmm...though I haven't read the later albums' lyrics much yet.) Anyway the mentioned album somehow has some general 'feeling' that the later albums dont' have. But on the other hand, the later works are good in a different way and still above most of this kind of bands. And for some reason I love Anja's voice. Has anyone any clue what she's up today? Someone said somewhere that she's sining in some band that's not metal at all. I'd like to know.
13.08.2008 - 03:21
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by vanishing_dream on 01.08.2008 at 19:51

I just recently found this band. Very interesting stuff (Too many bands nowadays drive me to boredom so it's nice to hear something...better.) Autumn Leaves is for me the essential album (musically, and like dismaleuphony said, it has great lyrics. Hmm...though I haven't read the later albums' lyrics much yet.) Anyway the mentioned album somehow has some general 'feeling' that the later albums dont' have. But on the other hand, the later works are good in a different way and still above most of this kind of bands. And for some reason I love Anja's voice. Has anyone any clue what she's up today? Someone said somewhere that she's sining in some band that's not metal at all. I'd like to know.

Ahh yes! Someone else who enjoys Anja's singing She's raw and chaotic but really has a great natural tone when she decides to carry a melody. I'd love to hear her again; she improved drastically on the Python Zero release... I will continue to look online for anything to do with her, but finding information for this band has been a horrible experience since their labels basically seem to have forgotten them.

But, in case you did not hear, All Little Devils and Python Zero were both remastered and re-released through Metal Mind here! In the North American markets it's through the MVP label, which is where I have ordered mine from. It's only limited to 2000 copies, so if you don't have it, it's a great time to pick it up. I will be posting my opinions on it in the coming week or so (I just ordered it yesterday).

And yes, there is a different vibe going on with Autumn Leaves that isn't found on the later two releases. I can understand why many people only care for Autumn Leaves (it was my first exposure to them)... but as I expanded my interested in music and developed my love for bands that challenge the listener, I've really come to enjoy the later two full-lengths equally as much - but as you say, in a different sort of manner. "Zentinel" is an amazing track for me in so many ways.

Keep me posted if you happen to find anything with Anja involved too
----
10.03.2009 - 01:31
vanishing_dream

I'm doing some detective work on the net... haven't found much but at least something:

Some article from 2003 - Look at the picture... it's her right? The text is in norwegian but here's a translation:

Anja Natasha is 28 years and mother of two sons. She draws and paints in his free time, and sings Irish and Gaelic folk-rock music. She has performed at various events with "Johnny & The Beels"

This summer she sang in the fisheries days in Egersund, and on the "Table cover up" on Gla Food Festival.

Well, not much of information. Though I found Johnny & The Beels website but I guess Anja has just been a visitor as she wasn't mentioned on the site in any way.

Then something else. I found a site where is listed norwegian black metal musicians and bands they've played in. There were bands called Critical Mass and Them mentioned with Anja but I guess these are some ancient bands that virtually no one knows... not even Metal Archives seems to know them.
10.03.2009 - 21:55
GT
Coffee!!
Today I finally had the time to check out this band. I downloaded the album Python Zero ages ago. I really like it. It's nothing like anything I already have...chaotic yet melodic and structured (I know it doesn't make sense). Really great melodies and the female vocalist is very good. Favourite track so far is Needle
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
16.03.2009 - 08:27
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by GT on 10.03.2009 at 21:55

Today I finally had the time to check out this band. I downloaded the album Python Zero ages ago. I really like it. It's nothing like anything I already have...chaotic yet melodic and structured (I know it doesn't make sense). Really great melodies and the female vocalist is very good. Favourite track so far is Needle

Oh that is great news! Usually only like ten percent of metal fans I recommend this band to even enjoy one song on this album I think the very beginning of the CD sets the mood perfectly for what ends up following it too. "Needle" is one of my picks for the album too. One thing I like about Anja's vocals is that they aren't interested in sounded "cute" or "friendly" but focus on abrasiveness yet stay wholly feminine while doing so. What did you think of the "country" track "Flyineye" at the end of the disc?

Written by vanishing_dream on 10.03.2009 at 01:31

I'm doing some detective work on the net... haven't found much but at least something:

Some article from 2003 - Look at the picture... it's her right? The text is in norwegian but here's a translation:

Anja Natasha is 28 years and mother of two sons. She draws and paints in his free time, and sings Irish and Gaelic folk-rock music. She has performed at various events with "Johnny & The Beels"

This summer she sang in the fisheries days in Egersund, and on the "Table cover up" on Gla Food Festival.

Well, not much of information. Though I found Johnny & The Beels website but I guess Anja has just been a visitor as she wasn't mentioned on the site in any way.

Then something else. I found a site where is listed norwegian black metal musicians and bands they've played in. There were bands called Critical Mass and Them mentioned with Anja but I guess these are some ancient bands that virtually no one knows... not even Metal Archives seems to know them.

Wow, well that could be her, interesting change of genres with the singing if it is! It's always disappointed me that I could not follow where some of the members ended up, because the band just sort of faded off the internet instead of having a dramatic breakup like numerous bands like to do. By the time most of the fans had figured out something was amiss, the website was taken down... Ahh well, thankfully the latter two discs got a remastering, but honestly, the remastered version is barely distinguishable from the originals: I wouldn't bother picking them up if I could get the originals cheaper. I was quite disappointed by what is essentially a "repackaging" and not much more.
----