Metal Storm logo
What's your favourite style of painting?

Poll

what's your favourite style of painting?

surrealism
other (please specify)
romanticism
impressionism
abstract
renaissance
Symbolism
baroque

Total votes: 78
27.02.2008 - 17:15
belisarius

i haven't found a topic like this, but if you find one please tell me then i'll delete this one. Personally i'm quite an artfan, my favourite style is baroque because of it's realism. My favourite painters are Caravaggio (baroque) and Schwabe (Symbolism).
----
I am a God in the deepest corner of my mind
27.02.2008 - 18:55
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Fantasy Art, because it's epic and deal with fantasy, many times related to fantasy literature, like Alan Lee and Ted Nasmith with Tolkien; or with games, like The Sons of The Storm: Samwise, Thamer, Twincruiswer and Raneman, Illustrators for the Blizzard Games (Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo) My favorite painters are Boris Vallejo, Luis Royo, Dan Scott, Jason Aengle, David Delamare, Clyde Caldwell.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.02.2008 - 19:02
Vrana

abstract. because not everyone understand it, but for me, it has a bigger meaning for me.
27.02.2008 - 20:26
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Vrana on 27.02.2008 at 19:02

abstract. because not everyone understand it, but for me, it has a bigger meaning for me.

The strenght and weaknes of the abstract, IMHO, is that it leads to very personal interpretations of the viewer, son only few people catch what teh artist really wanted to express.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
01.03.2008 - 05:38
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I chose surrealism, as it shows perfectly all the things that go on in my head.
01.03.2008 - 10:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hey Im not a painter but also in school I had lil 'study' art history are you shore those all genres exist

Personaly i like almoust all painting what looks real and also there is only fiew what i dont like for example Pablo Picaaso(dunno gnere name in english), but generaly I like paintings
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.03.2008 - 22:01
Varegan
Hamranakara
I always paint real elements of nature and mix them surreal and fantasy subjects. you can find one of my paintings in my profile.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
01.03.2008 - 23:45
Torelli

I have a hard time to decide between surrealism or impressionism.... Surrealism shows creativity and make people see things in a different perspektive. Impressionism on the other hand feels more organic, more natural. It is very soothing and enjoyable to look at these kind of paintings. But all art forms is good, in its own way, I just happen to prefere these ones.

My favorite artists are Carl Larsson(realism) And John William Waterhouse(romanticism).
02.03.2008 - 13:42
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i'm not a arts expert but my favorite style out of all the drawing/painting styles is the comic book style(yeah weird choice given the alternatives), i hate surrealism, cubism and all the other modern stuff that is so hard to find one single meaning to it. i like rennaisance and baroque paintings, they're more 'epic' and though it's hard sometimes to find a real meaning other than the event being shown(i.e. like a decapitation or something) you can be sure of what the author wanted to say, not like in the modern painting where no-one but the author knows what the fuck he actually did in the painting(and assuming that he even knows that himself! lol).

why did i choose comics? well mostly for the motion capture that is so vividly depicted(or should be) and for the fact that the characters and narrators are talking, it's a good mix between a play and paintings.
03.03.2008 - 00:15
Damnated
Churchburner
i like everything that is psychedelic to some degree, so in paintings i usually like surrealism. some impressionist works are also amazing, but surrealism beats everything imo.

those who are interested in fantasy or digital arts, check out some neo-surrealist artists. like George_Grie.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
05.03.2008 - 21:06
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I think surrealism and Symbolism are the best styles IMO
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
13.05.2008 - 11:22
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i just like Gothic paintings dont know what ism is that! someone helps me?
14.05.2008 - 01:18
Ernis
狼獾
Depends on the mood an the painter and the theme.....
I'd point out that art nouveau is one of the best styles....along with symbolism....and some romanticism landscapes are also nice....
14.05.2008 - 17:14
Torelli

Written by Guest on 13.05.2008 at 11:22

Eroticism perhaps?
14.05.2008 - 18:06
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Torelli on 14.05.2008 at 17:14

Eroticism perhaps?

lol i didn mean that but some of them r erotic. look at here for example i dont know what kind of paintings r these: (painter : gustave dore)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=QYI&q=gustave+dore&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Dore
14.05.2008 - 18:46
Torelli

Written by Guest on 14.05.2008 at 18:06

Eroticism perhaps?

lol i didn mean that but some of them r erotic. look at here for example i dont know what kind of paintings r these: (painter : gustave dore)

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=QYI&q=gustave+dore&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1

and

Haha, I though you meant painters like Luis Royo, and stuff like that. But you mean that kind of art that often serves as illistrations for gothic littrature, am I correct? Hm, hard question actually. Have to get back to it.
14.05.2008 - 18:55
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Torelli on 14.05.2008 at 18:46

Written by Guest on 14.05.2008 at 18:06

Eroticism perhaps?

and

Haha, I though you meant painters like Luis Royo, and stuff like that. But you mean that kind of art that often serves as illistrations for gothic littrature, am I correct? Hm, hard question actually. Have to get back to it.

ROFL no im not into cheap arts like that! but i like nice erotic paintings for example some cradle of filth's covers r nice
15.05.2008 - 12:12
Torelli

Haha, ok. I looked into it some more though, the Gustave Dore-type of paintings I Mean! I think Gustave Dore is romanticism. ( http://wwar.com/masters/d/dore-gustave.html )
18.05.2008 - 20:03
Dagorwen

Symbolism, with Moreau, and all the decadentism. But I like romantism very much, and the Preraphaelites above all.
Baroque art with all the "Vanitas" are also very interesting! And of course, everything before XVth century (Middleage rules!!!!)
12.06.2008 - 01:45
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i like symbolism, and maybe fauvism as well. i love creating surreal landscapes also, inspied by fauvists.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
01.07.2008 - 13:27
Finsternis
Account deleted
hmm,it is a bit challenging actually.i like;

northern reneissance:bosch and brueghel(masters of surrealism maybe,they were aware of subconcious collaborations of fears like monsters,chimeras or immoral order of the nature)
ALBRECHT DÜRER: when i second visited his house in nürnberg, i was about to live a stendhal syndrom,it seems very funny i know but, malign surface of the house impressed me lot.i was there in order to digest unprecedented atmosphere and so on...indeed i felt like a ghost because of this since primary school children came into the house in order to not to understand anything about dürer.teachers always have a schedule to follow and make children interest in arts but consequently they are just wandering around and looking for something interesting.
impressionism:monet,manet,renoir

romanticism:DORE

symbolism:klimt (however,works of klimt can be thought as a erotic trend in art)
06.09.2009 - 02:52
19Ninety-Three

Mine is Abstract Expressionism . I just love the chaos made into it
23.02.2010 - 20:42
KING*OF*DARKNESS

The impressionism is important cause it's between realistic and abstract
25.02.2010 - 18:03
Panterica

Lol, evrey one here like such serious arts. Manga is my cup of tea.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
12.03.2010 - 04:32
Misandry

I'm about to start working on an altered book depicting the life of the minotaur (from his perspective), and I'm more than likely going to be trying every style I can think of. Including digital imaging and old-fashioned comic book panelling. So I'm hoping that by the time I'm done with that project I will actually have a preferred style of painting, so that I can take this poll.
----
"Death solves all problems. No man, no problem." - Stalin
12.03.2010 - 13:41
Urs Blank

As many here, I went with surrealism, though I like many styles of painting.
The last artistic work I dug into was Zdzislaw Beksinski's paintings, and I happened to like them a lot.

For information, Evoken have used one of his paintings for the cover of their album Antithesis of Light
The original can be seen here
10.03.2011 - 05:53
GraveRoot

I love impressionism. It focuses more on the feeling more than the detail. With this style of art, you can make a grown man weep with the right colours and brush strokes. Claude Monet is my absolute favourite.

But outside impressionism, I love the painter Goya. The Black Painting are possibly my favourites, they hold such awful meaning.

Also, JC Leyendecker. Not because of what he painted (well, maybe a few images) but because of how BEAUTIFULLY he rendered the pictures. Every time I see a piece of his work its like slipping on warm socks on a cold day. Thats....thats the best I can explain it.
30.03.2011 - 01:36
ForeverDarkWoods

For me, it is definitely social realism.

Then I also don't mean the happy and bright coloured stuff that came out of the Soviet Union in the 30s, but I have real respect for American and European painters depicting the struggles of the poor, rather than the bright and shiny propaganda it later became.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
23.04.2011 - 22:07
therest

I had to vote "other", because I like the sketches e.g. in books of poetry, on the crapper wall etc. And I know all these other styles and movements in art, but sketching is the most immediate form of creation, even though it might not look that much from the aesthetical point of view (well, it takes time to get used to), but it has a feel to it that i like and haven't found in any other style of art. It's kinda like God created the world .. she just did it and realized, "hey, that's pretty good" (i'm not religious, but i do enjoy the characters in the bible)
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
17.05.2011 - 23:48
theFIST

I really like early cubism (those cubist works that completely lacked curves, but still showed landscapes and objects), analytic cubism (completely broken apart, edgy), surrealism and illusion drawings like Escher did
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol: