Metal Storm logo
You're a metal musician - would be a session member of a pop artist?

Original post

Posted by iaberis, 28.02.2008 - 13:17
You're a metalhead and you're a musician too (drums, bass, guitar, etc.); would you go to play for the recordings of a pop artist as a session member?
If you had an offer for just the recordings... no other info about touring, songwriting or joining the support musicians... just to play your instrument for the upcoming album of let's say Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Elton John... Would you do it?

Some examples:

Think carefully before you vote. Thinking as a now "tr00" metalhead you'd say no, but what happens in 10 years from now, when you still have no job and no successful metal band?

Poll

Would you play as a session member for the recordings of a pop artist?

It depends on the artist...
Yeah!
Hell no!
Only if I was in a need for money...

Total votes: 99
24.02.2009 - 07:43
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Yeah! I would play, not one, not two, I would play for every artist asking me to do it, who cares, almost no one would know that you played in that album, do you really think that pop music fans are aware of the session musicians in their albums? I don't think so, for example, Greg Howe is an awesome Jazz guitarist who plays as a session musician for por artists like Nsync, Justin Timberlake and Enrique Iglesias and he is still great, just because you play some riffs for a poop artist... sorry, por artist, means that you are less "honorable" or less "metal". C'mon, maybe they need money for equipment or a new car jeje.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
24.02.2009 - 13:12
TheBigRossowski

Only if I was in need of money....and the occassional acid flashback. They gave the Dude 20 Grand..and a beeper.

But I wouldn't play for the fuckin' Eagles.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.02.2009 - 20:16
Fubar

Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 04:52

Written by Galar on 24.02.2009 at 04:51

Written by Doc G. on 24.02.2009 at 04:42

Written by Galar on 24.02.2009 at 02:36

Hell no. I have to much pride to do any of that shit, and nothing is more un-metal than pop. I would rather be sacrificed to lucifer almighty.

Your telling me even if you were offered like $300 000 you'd turn it down? I mean, its not like your a famous musician with a reputation to ruin or anything.

Pride is more important than money. For me personally, ya I would turn it down. No im not crazy, I choose to listen to the music that I listen to. I'm not going to pretend to be something that I am not, and I would not want to put my name on garbage like pop. Money is just a number, money isn't as important to me as the way people perceive me.

Meh, you wouldn't need to put your name on it, you just walk into the studio lay down a riff, walk out cash your check. I like money.

Meh... I would have to say country is much worse than pop. Playing electric guitar for a pop band for the money wouldn't be a bad thing for me. But if I was handed an acoustic and was told to play country, that's where I draw the line.
----
25.02.2009 - 03:08
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Fubar on 24.02.2009 at 20:16

Meh... I would have to say country is much worse than pop. Playing electric guitar for a pop band for the money wouldn't be a bad thing for me. But if I was handed an acoustic and was told to play country, that's where I draw the line.

Depends which type of country, if it was poppy Shania Twain-Garth Brooks type country that would be bad. Decent folk type country ain't bad.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.02.2009 - 03:43
Warman
Erotic Stains
Certainly not! Some country music is really cool actually!
----
25.02.2009 - 09:18
Fubar

Written by Warman on 25.02.2009 at 03:43

Certainly not! Some country music is really cool actually!

You fail..........
----
25.02.2009 - 10:41
JayEstonio
Account deleted
Written by iaberis on 22.02.2009 at 17:40

Written by Guest on 23.01.2009 at 17:39

I'll do it! I am a musician and I'll do it but only for one condition: If it is Katy Perry!

lol I'm listening to Kary Perry right now! xD
I'd love to bang her

Ditto. LOL!
14.09.2010 - 17:25
Lovecraft
Account deleted
If I needed the money, but it also depends on the artist. hmmm...I'm confused.
14.09.2010 - 18:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
It depends on the artist. If it was for some bubblegum manufactured pop act, then no I would not. But if it was for say, Elton John, or The Cure for example, then absolutely I would. Id have to respect the artist before I could do it.
14.09.2010 - 18:32
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.09.2010 at 18:22

It depends on the artist. If it was for some bubblegum manufactured pop act, then no I would not. But if it was for say, Elton John, or The Cure for example, then absolutely I would. Id have to respect the artist before I could do it.

*resists urge to joke about flower metal*

Elton John? That's taking it up a couple of hundred notches.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.09.2010 - 18:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 14.09.2010 at 18:32
*resists urge to joke about flower metal*

Elton John? That's taking it up a couple of hundred notches.

Geez... lol

Meh, he's a pop artist, not metal. lol Your point is?
14.09.2010 - 19:09
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.09.2010 at 18:47
Geez... lol

Meh, he's a pop artist, not metal. lol Your point is?

My point is your fondness of pop is only so and so - only the renowned names you'd collaborate with, all highly improbable.

Then again, this thread's about a hypothetical scenario, so nevermind. Still, Elton John... what luck that would be.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.09.2010 - 19:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 14.09.2010 at 19:09
My point is your fondness of pop is only so and so - only the renowned names you'd collaborate with, all highly improbable.

Then again, this thread's about a hypothetical scenario, so nevermind. Still, Elton John... what luck that would be.

When did I ever say my fondness for pop was any more than "so and so"? lol I never said Id collaborate with only a renowned name, but I would have to respect the artists' music in order for me to do it. I wouldn't play on someone's album who's music I hated just for the money. And seeing as I hate most pop music, that would severely limit the artists I could work with, renowned or otherwise.

It would be very lucky, yep.
14.09.2010 - 21:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dunno depends what instrument I play , well jazz, country, blues yes, but pop, hip hop no way but if I have sold some CD and have money to dont worry abourt rets of life, I dont talk abouut millions what Alice Cooper , Iron maiden have, but simple normal life I reject it, since Im not live and concert freek, I would not go to long tours, if its be 80's 70's why not world, tour , booze, get laid and die , now we have i net and its life , so , but I never have been after money, so I say no because if you know how play you can find incomes, teach muisc, sell instyruments, repair etc whatever, work in studio whit sound, but if I can get 1million whit one concert whit some pop why not, elither I would reject, I would spend it wisly, sorry girls no expenice jahts, cars and dimonds to you, simply life in quaet countryside, nothing more sibce Boris Becker is example how you shood not live heheheh,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2010 - 04:40
Kennoth

I voted hell no only because there is not a simple, straightforward no option. That means that it's possible, but not probable.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
18.09.2010 - 04:50
Edmund Fogg

Yeah why not? Being a musician means you have to try to live with your art and it<s not like starting your own pop band but just putting a headset,play shitty music then cash the cheque.Easy money IMO
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
19.09.2010 - 04:33
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
I would, milking some easy cash out of a pop artist i hate would give me self satisfaction
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
19.09.2010 - 15:45
ToMegaTherion

The pay had better be damn good
20.09.2010 - 00:52
iaberis
Advice Troll

Check these metalheads playing in a greek pop music video... Gosh, seems so ridiculous... Headbanging with pop music
----
Bitch! Please
21.09.2010 - 07:48
whatsacow

Yeah, Playing in an underground metal band would get you fuck all money. just do it under a psuedonym, and earn some money, and use it to contribute to making the music you love.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
22.09.2010 - 21:02
RockeRoy

I bet every one who is good enough would. The musicians in pop music such ass christina aguilera, Michael Jacson an many many others are great musicians. So you have to be realy good to play for many of the Stars.
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
23.09.2010 - 22:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Only if it was katy perry *clears throught*
"California girls we're unforgettable daisy duke's bikinis on top"
but still there would have to be a large sum of money involved
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.09.2010 - 23:49
moe5512

I am right now playing in a not so much metal band. ok its not pop more punk, rock and iron maiden + metallica. as long as you enyoy playing theres no differences between genres...