Metal Storm logo
+5 To Strength

28.02.2008 - 17:34
jadawal

http://www.myspace.com/plus5tostrength

Greeting fellows MSers. Me and a couple of my buddies are getting together a multi-genre concept album. We're from Newfoundland, the eastern-most island off of Canada. Our band name is +5 To Strength.

Here in newfoundland there is less then a million people, and the metal scene is less as exciting as that. We want to be the first known metal band to come from NF, adding the strong folk newfie culture to our music, creating a progressive viking-folk storyline that builds and climaxes like a novel. The name of the album is not chosen yet, since not all the writing is complete.

There is four songs on Myspace now, all lyricless demo versions. But the quality isn't bad. I would like as much people as possible to listen and give their thoughts, good or bad. http://www.myspace.com/plus5tostrength
01.03.2008 - 05:43
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
I also equip Slayer for 50% extra damage and Morbid Angel for +500 to mana.

Great music, by the way. I especially like 'Orc Battle Slaughter'.
01.03.2008 - 12:36
Fuath

not really my sort of music
but thats not to say it isnt great
i think that one day you will probably reach that goal or yours too
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

01.03.2008 - 16:36
Stigma
Account deleted
Nice guitar work there, I had my doubts first, but in the end it started to sound really cool.

I also added you as a friend on my band's profile, hope you don't mind.
01.03.2008 - 18:05
jadawal

Thanks guys,

Just remember that they're demo versions, there's a few rough corners but the home-made studio sounds alright most of the time. (To give it that rough/raw feeling sometimes) I think the best song there is Rising(so far), but the album is going to work together chronologically with a lot of mood and tempo changes, sometimes telling the story from other viewpoints.

Writing is in progress, and I mean this second!

Tell all your friends who you think would like to hear a project a little bit different.
01.03.2008 - 23:18
ß
Problem?
From what I hear so far it sounded good.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
06.03.2008 - 13:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the 2:40 moment in the first song is excellent! apart from that little brilliant guitar, the overall tone is quite faulty, you should turn the drums higher or something...

orc battle slaughter has a great intro and riff, plus the middle break sounds good, though i think it's too epic/optimistic to be a "orc battle slaughter" no problem at all with the song, i just think it's a bit mistitled.
08.03.2008 - 09:31
Newfie_Metal

Hows it going Jordan, I thought you posted on here, haha. You gonna have a song up with vocals anytime soon?
08.03.2008 - 23:51
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by jadawal on 01.03.2008 at 18:05

Thanks guys,

Just remember that they're demo versions, there's a few rough corners but the home-made studio sounds alright most of the time. (To give it that rough/raw feeling sometimes) I think the best song there is Rising(so far), but the album is going to work together chronologically with a lot of mood and tempo changes, sometimes telling the story from other viewpoints.

Tell all your friends who you think would like to hear a project a little bit different.

Okay here's a perspective from a non-musician so feel free to take it with a grain of salt:

Progressive and folk do not mix well - and definitely not together on the same track. The music meanders too much when it needs to stay focused. Increase the tempo to add more vitality. Find the theme of each song and stick to it. And get to the main theme quickly and decisively. If you want to make epic battle metal, you've got to bring that energy and determination into your music. (Again, the progressive influences are counterproductive - save it for the slower songs.) You really ought to go with folk/power rather than folk/progressive. Power blends better with folk, and the music would be more identifiable. Remember, people respond to what is familiar.

Finally, forget this business about having "a little bit of everything" in your music. It sounds like you don't know where you're at or what you want. The key is to find your greatest assets and develop them. You guys obviously have talent - now you need a cohesive vision. I can hear it fighting to come to the surface. Cut loose and bring that vision into the light of day.

Looking forward to hearing more... and good luck!
11.03.2008 - 18:35
jadawal

Written by Guest on 08.03.2008 at 23:51

Thanks guys,

Okay here's a perspective from a non-musician so feel free to take it with a grain of salt:

Progressive and folk do not mix well - and definitely not together on the same track. The music meanders too much when it needs to stay focused. Increase the tempo to add more vitality. Find the theme of each song and stick to it. And get to the main theme quickly and decisively. If you want to make epic battle metal, you've got to bring that energy and determination into your music. (Again, the progressive influences are counterproductive - save it for the slower songs.) You really ought to go with folk/power rather than folk/progressive. Power blends better with folk, and the music would be more identifiable. Remember, people respond to what is familiar.

Finally, forget this business about having "a little bit of everything" in your music. It sounds like you don't know where you're at or what you want. The key is to find your greatest assets and develop them. You guys obviously have talent - now you need a cohesive vision. I can hear it fighting to come to the surface. Cut loose and bring that vision into the light of day.

Haha, Ok.

Thanks for listening and giving some critisism, but really, your telling us how not to write our music. If we wanted to make music everyone else made, it wouldn't be too enjoyable at all. "Power blends better with folk, and the music would be more identifiable. Remember, people respond to what is familiar." I can't say I agree with that; I do not respond to what is familiar. In fact, I search for stuff that is different all the time. I think we'll just keep going on our merry way. I thought everybody wanted to hear something different?

And who is this Newfie Metal?
11.03.2008 - 20:03
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by jadawal on 11.03.2008 at 18:35

Thanks guys,

Haha, Ok.

Thanks for listening and giving some critisism, but really, your telling us how not to write our music. If we wanted to make music everyone else made, it wouldn't be too enjoyable at all. "Power blends better with folk, and the music would be more identifiable. Remember, people respond to what is familiar." I can't say I agree with that; I do not respond to what is familiar. In fact, I search for stuff that is different all the time. I think we'll just keep going on our merry way. I thought everybody wanted to hear something different?

Yeah, somehow I knew you'd respond this way. You can probably spot my bias from a mile off.

Thanks for reading my post and getting back to me.
11.03.2008 - 21:41
Newfie_Metal

Written by jadawal on 11.03.2008 at 18:35

Thanks guys,

I guess I forgot that part, it's Kyle.

Anyway, to Harmonic, Tyr is the perfect example that a folk metal band can be progressive.
11.03.2008 - 21:50
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Newfie_Metal on 11.03.2008 at 21:41

Anyway, to Harmonic, Tyr is the perfect example that a folk metal band can be progressive.

Thanks, I'll try them out.
11.03.2008 - 22:16
jadawal

What are you at Kyle?

Yeah I'm trying to get some vocals recorded now, we so far have at least 5 different vocalists lined up.
12.03.2008 - 05:19
Newfie_Metal

Written by jadawal on 11.03.2008 at 22:16

What are you at Kyle?

Yeah I'm trying to get some vocals recorded now, we so far have at least 5 different vocalists lined up.

Haha, that's a shitload of vocalists, should be some good variety.
27.01.2009 - 03:49
Evil Chip

The drums need a lot of work and Im talking about the production because you can barely hear the double bass pedal and overally its too low compared to the instruments. The guitar leads sounded rare too. The music is there you just need to record it as it desearves. The acoustic track is really the most enjoyable maybe because i can hear all the instruments. I would like to hear the vocals. I will add you in myspace with my band Sealed Door. If you have time check the music.
See ya.