05. Buried Alive
06. Soulless
07. The Noose
08. When Worlds Collide
09. God VS God
10. Steal The Crown
11. Resurrection Machine
+ Dethroned [promo video][Blood Pack edition bonus]

Disc II [DVD: Live In Strasburg, France, April 17, 2003][Blood Pack edition bonus]
01. The Ultra-Violence, Pt. I - Intro
02. Seemingly Endless Time
03. Voracious Souls
04. Mistress Of Pain
05. 3rd Floor
06. Evil Priest
07. Stagnant
08. Bored
09. Kill As One

American thrashers Death Angel return once more with their brand of thrash metal with attitude. "Killing Season" is the band's second album back in business and once again these ultra violent Americans deliver the goods with a punch. Death Angel have not seemed to follow trends of what is popular at the time, they just lay down good old traditional thrash metal the way the thrash scene seems starved and dry of in the modern today. By no means could you accuse Death Angel of being stuck in the past, as "Killing Season" is a modern sounding album that breathes freshness and life but has its core rooted in the school of thrash metal where there is no obligation to fill every verse and chorus with frantic double bass, and more emphasis is placed upon diversity and staying interesting while still being music to bang your head along and punch the air to as "Carnival Justice" and "Buried Alive" are just two shining examples of how this is achieved.

The cleanly produced album plods along with its fair share of twists and turns and bursts of speed, the seemingly forgotten component these days in the form of the bass guitar creeps in for more of a look-in than with most modern albums these days, and even though "Killing Season" is not over the top and crammed with as much action as musically possible, it is still both suitably heavy and catchy with the odd injection of attitude and a good dose of old fashioned rage in there as well; "When Worlds Collide" and "God vs God" illustrate these aspects to a tee.

"Killing Season" has many great songs in its arsenal, you will find your head banging or foot tapping or yourself generally humming along with pretty much everything during the album's nearly-fifty minute duration, this is catchy material but not to the extent that you will be kept awake at night with the same damn song going through your head over and over again. This may mean that you struggle to find any real high points that stand above anything else throughout the album, and also in general the album may not be one of the most memorable albums you could ever hear, but these are not huge issues as "Killing Season" is a fun sounding album that would do a good job at providing entertainment at a party or as the soundtrack to some road trip with your good friends. This album will be a huge breath of fresh air to most people as these days so-called thrash metal bands more often than not either have no balls to them or sound like they were put together by businessmen or just try to replicate what has already been done before - but with "Killing Season" we have the sound of the traditional and the shine of the modern rolled all into one.

Written on 28.02.2008 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 284 users
29.02.2008 - 09:50
Rating: 7
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Can't wait to get this one!
----
THRASH!!!
29.02.2008 - 15:12
Rating: 8
_-Blackbird-_

Yep good album and review is great
29.02.2008 - 15:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Mmmm, Killing Season is definitely Death Angel's weakest album and most boring one as well (not enough variation on it to keep me interested for the entire ride). I would rate it 7.4 at most.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.02.2008 - 15:45
RhysTerk

I consider this a masterpiece
29.02.2008 - 16:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I usually hate "comebacks" of classic bands, but "The Art Of Dying" was indeed an AMAZING comeback (it is indeed my favourite Death Angel album) so I'm certainly interested in listening to this shit.
29.02.2008 - 16:51
Damnated
Churchburner
overall a good album, but it indeed gets boring.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
29.02.2008 - 18:46
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
I agree with review and the rating. Very good album, but I think the last album was still a bit better.
29.02.2008 - 20:43
Abattoir

Quite good album indeed, but not so souvereign.
29.02.2008 - 22:22
Deadsoulman

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.02.2008 at 15:17

Mmmm, Killing Season is definitely Death Angel's weakest album and most boring one as well (not enough variation on it to keep me interested for the entire ride). I would rate it 7.4 at most.

Less good than The Art Of Dying, but still miles better than that lousy "Frolic Through The Park" piece of dump (DA's weakest album IMO). I'd rate it around 7.5 as well. It's a fun listen altogether
01.03.2008 - 00:54
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
seems to have a mixed response from the comments ive read, but sounds like a good listen
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
01.03.2008 - 01:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.02.2008 at 15:17

Same here. I don't even think I'll buy it!
03.03.2008 - 22:00
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Yep, it's done now. Just ordered it Digipak of course ^^
----
THRASH!!!
03.03.2008 - 22:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
ALthough I find it their weakest album I did buy the digipak today cause I am a completist and it came with a bonus live dvd.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2008 - 21:50
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2008 at 22:17

ALthough I find it their weakest album I did buy the digipak today cause I am a completist and it came with a bonus live dvd.

Yeah, same here. I always have to buy the limited or digipak version of.. well anything. About the album (which I haven't heard yet), I just can't say no to some good ol' 80's thrash. I live for that stuff.
----
THRASH!!!
04.03.2008 - 21:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by DrunkenFuck on 04.03.2008 at 21:50

Yeah, same here. I always have to buy the limited or digipak version of.. well anything. About the album (which I haven't heard yet), I just can't say no to some good ol' 80's thrash. I live for that stuff.

well, the album has started to grow on me ever since I got and now it is a tad above Frolic for me
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2008 - 22:01
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2008 at 21:56

well, the album has started to grow on me ever since I got and now it is a tad above Frolic for me

The best albums are the ones who needs to grow on you. That's what I always say.
----
THRASH!!!
08.03.2008 - 18:34
Talvi

Written by DrunkenFuck on 04.03.2008 at 22:01

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2008 at 21:56

The best albums are the ones who needs to grow on you. That's what I always say.

Even if I'm not a Death Angel fan, I wanted to quoe this for massive truth.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
16.04.2008 - 16:16
Rating: 10
.:Jux:.

Masterpiece. Agree with the reviewer. Nice punch to the face to the modern tharsh metal.
05.06.2008 - 03:21
Desertman
Account deleted
a classic sick!!!!!!!!!! 10/10
13.06.2008 - 20:01
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
One of those few 2008 albums that I liked. The review is very accurate I must admit. So good job. As far as the rating would probably give it the same 8.2.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.06.2008 - 10:16
Rating: 10
Murder

I liked this album a lot!!

All the songs have power and I can see they keep the thrash sound and it likes me more! a very good album in my opinion!
16.06.2008 - 13:07
MultipleX
Account deleted
Death angel are back!! thrash as it's best!
13.12.2008 - 10:00
Metalbound7

Very Good album, it have some weak songs like dethroned, but also have nice old-school Thrashers like Sonic Beatdown and nice slow but heavys like Souless. I think the 8.2 is o'right.
26.02.2009 - 01:32
skee1411

All of you that says this album suxx.. you r crazy.. This album rocks in every way possible:banger2: HEADBANGER 4 LIFE
26.02.2009 - 02:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah this album grew on me so much. I've been playing it a lot lately.
07.08.2009 - 07:31
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I liked this album a lot, the magic of this one, at least, IMO, is that every song is different, this is not a "one song" album, every song is great and well done, even if it is not a crushing album, it deserves attention, and I think that it is as good as other Thrash albums released in 2008. I usually have some favorite songs on albums but every song here is great, or, at least, different from each one
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
07.08.2009 - 16:25
Rating: 6
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
For me, anything after Act III is a bit of a letdown. I feel Act III is one of the greatest metal records of all time.
----
rekt

Hits total: 10914 | This month: 14