Metal Storm logo
A Hymn To Subjectivity (Episode III)

Written by: Lucas
Published: 29.02.2008

After the publishing of my second blogreview, about Shakira, the results where quite shocking. Half of MetalStorm decided this was the right time to reveal their own dirty little secrets. Thanks for the support, but seriously, you’re all freaks.

Norah Jones – Come Away With Me

Norah Jones, born Geethali Norah Jones Shankar on March 30, 1979, is the daughter of the famous sitar maestro Ravi Shankar (whom I have never, ever, heard of, thank you wiki). She moved to Texas when she was four, and from that place she drew her obvious country western influence present on her later albums. On this album however, the overall setting is much more rooted in jazz, mostly through the smooth and relaxing instrumentation that this album is blessed with.

When an album opens up with a song like "Don't Know Why", the song responsible for her break-through, you know you are in the right place. Soothing piano and the beautiful voice of this Texan lady tell a story about.. who even cares what its about? All you should care about is the softness of her voice, which feels like like soft silk rubbed down your cheeks. As a matter of fact, every song on this album contains the same softness and its own reassuring atmosphere. It would be the perfect album to "hide from the storm".

Highlights are the aforementioned hit single "Don't Know Why", the completely morphed Hank Williams cover "Cold, Cold Heart", the irresistable invitation "Come Away With Me" and the erotic "I've Got To See You Again", draped with desire and lust. But frankly, every song is a highlight.

Norah Jones proves to be so much more than just a pretty face. She shines as bright as a star on this album, delivering great songs as if it costs her no more than the flipping of a beer mat. Accomponied by well-accomplished jazz musicians, she has created a dark and soothing atmosphere, the perfect place to chill and jam, and in general, to feel good. And a tad bit sad.

Written on 29.02.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 82 users
01.03.2008 - 09:23
Harmonic
Account deleted
I never had any idea that Norah Jones was Ravi Shankar's kid. I listened to Ravi Shankar once until I was bored to tears. Sounds like Norah Jones is way better!
01.03.2008 - 10:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I this series of blogs by Nervel his coming out that he actually doesn't like metal and prefers pop?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2008 - 14:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2008 at 10:41

I this series of blogs by Nervel his coming out that he actually doesn't like metal and prefers pop?

Well, almost.

No, not really. I really love a couple of pop albums, but I don't listen to them as much as my metal favourites. Mostly because I don't 'feel like it' that often.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
01.03.2008 - 23:05
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 01.03.2008 at 14:43

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.03.2008 at 10:41

Well, almost.

No, not really. I really love a couple of pop albums, but I don't listen to them as much as my metal favourites. Mostly because I don't 'feel like it' that often.

Pop wears out really easily, like steel fabricated in China. It's really best not to listen to pop too often. Heavy metal, on the other hand, is like Japanese steel - the kind used in samurai blades. You can cut off limbs with it and it stays sharp as a razor, time and time again.
02.03.2008 - 01:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Guest on 01.03.2008 at 23:05

Pop wears out really easily, like steel fabricated in China. It's really best not to listen to pop too often. Heavy metal, on the other hand, is like Japanese steel - the kind used in samurai blades. You can cut off limbs with it and it stays sharp as a razor, time and time again.

That's not true. Pop - like metal - comes in all forms and shapes, quickly wearing and ever lasting! You just need to find it.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.03.2008 - 07:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Norah Jones is good, but overrated. I listen to her debut quite a bit and I would like to hear more of her new album. She's much better than Shakira though....her voice just annoys the hell out of me.
03.03.2008 - 23:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
maybe you ought to change your sig tag to "Pop Smurf"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2008 - 03:16
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Yes I've heard this album, and own it It's good on summer nights playing cards and drinking, but that's the only time it seems to work for me.... I don't think I would have got into it so much if it wasn't for an enthusiastic girlfriend at the time, but Nora has a great voice nonetheless. It reminds of a short, but very good time in my life. I don't think her work after this album has measured up to this, and so I haven't paid much attention to her activities since...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
04.03.2008 - 17:22
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Lucas on 02.03.2008 at 01:14

Written by Guest on 01.03.2008 at 23:05

That's not true. Pop - like metal - comes in all forms and shapes, quickly wearing and ever lasting! You just need to find it.

It's hard to find though. I can recommend you newcomers: Ashbury Heioghts, My skeleton in teh closet, synthpop from... can't rtemember. One guy and one girl. ANd of course Apoptygma berzerk, which is not so pop, but it's pretty cool lelectro stuff anyway
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.03.2008 - 02:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
As much as I can appreciate recommendations for things outside of metal, I could just never get into Norah Jones, believe it or not, I have given it a try, just isn't my thing I guess.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.04.2008 - 23:20
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Doc G. on 27.03.2008 at 02:41

As much as I can appreciate recommendations for things outside of metal, I could just never get into Norah Jones, believe it or not, I have given it a try, just isn't my thing I guess.

I never got into Norah Jones Music either.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!

Hits total: 5655 | This month: 17