Metal Storm logo
The Metal Storm Awards 2007

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.03.2008 - 15:55
Discuss everything concering the MetalStorm Awards 2007 here. I'd like to say one thing though:

Remember, these result are based on all YOUR votes. Don't blame us for band x winning, blame the majority. Or better yet, thank the majority, as you can feel special disagreeing with the mob. We know you all like that, don't you?
05.03.2008 - 19:25
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Stigmatized on 03.03.2008 at 16:25

Written by Lord Grim on 03.03.2008 at 15:26

Ha, I cannot even believe "Metalcore" was up there. That's an abomination.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Metalcore a metal genre?

I would hope so, I mean, gosh, I must me soo un-Metal because I love Demon Hunter, Killswitch Engage, Living Sacrifice, Protest The Hero, Between The Buried and Me.

In all hinesty I was so glad we had a Metalcore category this year. Storm The Gates of Hell and was one of my favorite albums of the whole year, and I wanted to make sure I could vote for it somewhere. I also love Colors, which made my top Metalcore pick a tough one.
----
(space for rent)
06.03.2008 - 02:51
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Im quite pleased with the results, not all the bands I voted won, but it was quite realistic. Im only suprised about Sirenia missing, I mean, it's strange how all goth/Sirenia/Tristania fans rate album low, and yet a lot of people say (me included) that this is one of the best Mortens work ever. Yeah it has popmetal melodies, its different its not 'pattern made all the same gothic' and it rules. Nightwish results were intresting, and EpicFolkViking votes made me get my hands on Arkona's album, and I quite like it. I quite like the Therion, Epica and After Forever taking the top3 in Sympho metal, they deserve it for sure, 3 great albums...

On the other hand, the results quite makes me proud, because 4 videos, including the winner, [Avantasia, Epica, Kamelot, SyX] were shot in Belgrade, Serbia, by ICODE team. Also last year's Another Stranger Me and Fiinistera were shot by the same team. Its great, because a lot of fans met people from those bands when they were shooting them over here. Also chek out SyX 'Set the World on Fire' and two more new videos from Kamelot.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
06.03.2008 - 08:04
VanHelsing

You can't please everyone. If you guys can't get through the fact that with the MetalStorm Awards we're essentially doing a huge poll within all the community members, then that's too bad. Certainly a lot of people who didn't listen to all of the nominees will vote. Everyone votes for whatever they like the most, and guess what? they're totally entitled to do so. Hey I like this album! *vote*.

Personally I loved the outcome and amount of participation these awards had. Kamelot won by an inch (thanks to my vote haha j/k), Amorphis won when I thought it didn't had a chance versus Megadeth simply because of the huge fanbase it has but I was pleasantly surprised. Symphony X and Dark Tranquillity won as well so it was pretty good for my votes (although kinda predictable with these two choices). Epica lost to Therion sadly but oh well.

All in all, congratulations to the MetalStorm staff for trying to make this as objective as possible and obviously a lot of people won't like the outcome if the album they chose didn't win, but as I said before, this is a huge thing and the opinions will be diverse. Thanks to MetalStorm and I'm already looking forward for the 2008 awards ..
----
-V
07.03.2008 - 05:21
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by VanHelsing on 06.03.2008 at 08:04

You can't please everyone. If you guys can't get through the fact that with the MetalStorm Awards we're essentially doing a huge poll within all the community members, then that's too bad. Certainly a lot of people who didn't listen to all of the nominees will vote. Everyone votes for whatever they like the most, and guess what? they're totally entitled to do so. Hey I like this album! *vote*.

Thats the thing, a lot of people probably didn't vote for what they liked, but only what they've heard of, if they didn't hear of the rest of the bands in the category, then they'd vote for what they know, (instead of not voting and accepting the fact that there ignorant) thats where the complaints are coming from.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.03.2008 - 06:57
Evil Chip

Nightwish results were the most interesting of all.
08.03.2008 - 01:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Evil Chip on 07.03.2008 at 06:57

It really shows how divided the fans opinions are about Olzon. Though I am on the negative side I must agree with you.
----
08.03.2008 - 01:41
Evil Chip

Written by Warman on 08.03.2008 at 01:35

Written by Evil Chip on 07.03.2008 at 06:57

It really shows how divided the fans opinions are about Olzon. Though I am on the negative side I must agree with you.

I like Olzon I was getting bored of Tarja Turunen. Olzon for me is more enjoyable and not so dramatic, I think she brings balance to the band because the music that Tuomas write is very dramatic too. So I have to say that Im in the positive side.
09.03.2008 - 10:13
Eternal Flames

Just out of curiosity, can staff tell us whether there were more user registrations for last month (February) than the average registrations per month? I was just wondering whether there were more guests registering for the site last month than usual due to the MS awards.
09.03.2008 - 15:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Eternal Flames on 09.03.2008 at 10:13

Just out of curiosity, can staff tell us whether there were more user registrations for last month (February) than the average registrations per month? I was just wondering whether there were more guests registering for the site last month than usual due to the MS awards.

Yes, more people registered in February than in any other month.

When the awards voting opened we had 10,000 registered users and when the awards voting closed that number had gone up to about 12,500
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2008 - 19:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
But IMO we shodo do it liek old forum people can vote only aftre 100 posts like than I shood get 100 posts to open tread/poll and upload picture than it sotve that voting troble about albums
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2008 - 19:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 09.03.2008 at 19:50

But IMO we shodo do it liek old forum people can vote only aftre 100 posts like than I shood get 100 posts to open tread/poll and upload picture than it sotve that voting troble about albums

ONE MORE TIME, the forum is just a SMALL PART of the site.
Metal Storm is first and foremost a metal webZINE. The number of people that post on the forum are just a very tiny insignificant number of the total number of visitors/readers each day.
So, every single visitors is allowed and encouraged to vote for the Awards. If we only let people vote who have a post count of over 100 not a single category would have got more than 150 votes IMO
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2008 - 20:02
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2008 at 19:57

So, every single visitors is allowed and encouraged to vote for the Awards. If we only let people vote who have a post count of over 100 not a single category would have got more than 150 votes IMO

but the votes wouldn't be so one sided either.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.03.2008 - 20:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Written by Bad English on 09.03.2008 at 19:50

ONE MORE TIME, the forum is just a SMALL PART of the site.
Metal Storm is first and foremost a metal webZINE. The number of people that post on the forum are just a very tiny insignificant number of the total number of visitors/readers each day.

I know i know but those who use site onl for once for voting ishnt good either , but seems jup do good think dont wote fro albums, and in some point I agree whit him
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.03.2008 - 20:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Damnated on 09.03.2008 at 20:02

but the votes wouldn't be so one sided either.

150 votes totally wouldn't be representative plus it would only show what the posters in the forums like, thus giving a very very lop-sided view of what were generally considered to be good albums in a year.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.03.2008 - 20:10
floydiac

I am very glad with the results...firstly becuse I think that all the bands that won deserved it, and secondly because it instills some confidence in my taste in music...lol...

The symphonic metal catagory was a difficult one...I voted Therion, because I feel that it was stronger in so many ways, although it needs a little more depth to it. Layers do not mean depth...But I am glad Epica came second, and that people are breaking away from this idea that they are a "second-rate Nightwish" just because they use an orchestra and a soprano.

As for the Power Metal one...I was torn, between Kamelot and Nightwish...I spent a few hours contemplating that one before settling on Kamelot.
----
!WARNING! May talk shit !WARNING!
09.03.2008 - 20:49
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2008 at 20:07

150 votes totally wouldn't be representative plus it would only show what the posters in the forums like, thus giving a very very lop-sided view of what were generally considered to be good albums in a year.

150 votes are indeed very few.

the thing is, these random voters only know 2-3 albums, while the active posters usually hear the majority of albums. ie. i'm sure that everyone who visits the forums regularly knows at least 10 albums of 2007 from his/her fav genre .
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.03.2008 - 18:54
GT
Coffee!!
If you had a limit so only people with 100+ post could vote we would have a enormous amount of spam posts in the voting period by people who wants to be able to vote...and we wouldn't like that would we?
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.03.2008 - 19:16
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
and there is the flawed assumption that somehow people with 100+ posts know more about metal than those that don't.

all one has to do is randomly look at the album rating habits of posters and you will realize that just because someone has participated on the boards does not mean they have a rational way of rating music.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.03.2008 - 00:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
And your forgetting those people whos post count comes 90% from the general discussion forum...not mentioning any names.
----
- George Carlin
11.03.2008 - 10:12
Eternal Flames

Written by Damnated on 09.03.2008 at 20:49

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.03.2008 at 20:07

150 votes are indeed very few.

the thing is, these random voters only know 2-3 albums, while the active posters usually hear the majority of albums. ie. i'm sure that everyone who visits the forums regularly knows at least 10 albums of 2007 from his/her fav genre .

Some of the regular posters on this site probably only know 2-3 albums in a category as well, but they still vote. By this reasoning and to get a fair judgement everyone who votes should have heard every single album in a category before they vote for their favourite album. Realistically, there won't be many people that have heard every album in the one category.

Post count should never be an indication of a persons knowledge on a particular subject anyway. I'm sure that everyone has by now heard the saying "quality over quantity".

And lets not forget that in the end the MS Awards are mostly just a fun way to review the year. Yes, the results generally are a little skewed due to popularity but all awards always end up that way.
11.03.2008 - 15:30
Stigmatized
Why does this have to be a big debate every year?
11.03.2008 - 20:45
GT
Coffee!!
Written by Stigmatized on 11.03.2008 at 15:30

Haha maybe because someone's favourites didn't win or even got nominated
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
11.03.2008 - 20:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by GT on 11.03.2008 at 20:45

Written by Stigmatized on 11.03.2008 at 15:30

Haha maybe because someone's favourites didn't win or even got nominated

Nah, its because no ones got anything better to discuss.
----
- George Carlin
22.03.2008 - 05:34
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
You know what was the most fucked up thing that happened this year?

A band win Biggest Surprise and Biggest Disappointment.... Perhaps it was a bad surprise?
----
24.03.2008 - 23:33
Elodie Artour
Slania
Nightwish totally deserved"The Biggest Letdown"award. (In my opinion,at least.)

EDIT: Well, I don't share the same opinion any more but I used to before some time.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
25.03.2008 - 15:44
VPeter

in all honesty why? especially with an other turd of an album by Demon Burger.
31.03.2008 - 20:08
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Doc G. on 11.03.2008 at 00:38

And your forgetting those people whos post count comes 90% from the general discussion forum...not mentioning any names.

Me? But I don't even post that much even in General forum....And I can't afford hearing all the albums that are nominated for I need to listen to one particular album for bout half a month to get a whole picture of it....plus I'm poor and can't afford CDs plus my internet's slow and I can't download so frequently....I am really sad because of my ignorance....but at least I only vote the albums I know....
31.03.2008 - 20:34
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by VPeter on 25.03.2008 at 15:44

if the new Dimmu Borgir is "an other turd of an album," it sounds as if you expected it to suck - in which case, it's hardly a let down. It's only a let down if you have high hopes prior to release and find yourself incredibly disappointed after giving it a spin.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.03.2008 - 21:20
VPeter

Written by BitterCOld on 31.03.2008 at 20:34

Written by VPeter on 25.03.2008 at 15:44

if the new Dimmu Borgir is "an other turd of an album," it sounds as if you expected it to suck - in which case, it's hardly a let down. It's only a let down if you have high hopes prior to release and find yourself incredibly disappointed after giving it a spin.

well partly true and first I wouldn't even listen to it, but after hearing such a postive response and people claiming that they went back to their roots I decided to give it a spin and quickly founding out that those people were lying since the album sucked huge and it's even worse then DCA.
05.04.2008 - 13:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
It is their worst album IMO, still it didn't dissapoint me since I wasn't that excited about Death Cult Armageddon and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia.
----