03. Pb
04. Winchester
05. Mental
06. Kamikaze
07. Rough Mountain
08. Next Level
09. White Knuckle Drive
10. Gainer

Since Devillac's "Three Hours To Coma" dropped on my doormat, it has seen the red laserlight of my stereo-system quite often. They label themselves as "Sweaty, snotty and dirty rock 'n' roll", and that's pretty much what it is. Just replace Rock with Stoner Metal, with the same adjectives, and you're pretty much up to date on their sound. We're getting in the pestering wound of genre-nagging now though, so just stick with sweaty and dirty.

During the entire forty-minute "Three Hours To Coma" sounds like a band hard at work in some small, local venue. The stagelights are burning hot and they are sweating their asses off. But nobody cares, as the beer is cheap and the crowd is crazy. After the title-intro, with a very lethal melody, it is ready-set-go. Their sound is crusty and distorted, yet very melodic. Especially in their instrumentals the guitarists Ismo and Janne are really letting themselves go, which results in some very pleasant, almost oriental-sounding, guitarmelodies and leads. Mikko's drumsound is quite raw but very charming at the same time. He really beats the living daylight out of his drumset. Together with the pulsing and groovy bass of Aki they form a strong and trustworthy rhythm section. Vocalist Micki uses both clean and screamed vocals. His clean ones are often a bit deeper in the mix, as if he's overrun by the wall of distorted sound from the other musicians. His raw screams are rather typical for the genre, but also quite good.

These Finns have been around since summer 2000, but only now came around to recording a debut album. Taking your time seems to be a good thing, as this record is definitely worth your while. None of the songs is really original or breathtaking, it is the overall consistancy that is their main strength. Add the appeal of a young and enthusiastic band to that and you have a very energetic and charming album. No doubt this will get some future spins.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written on 09.03.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 18 users
11.03.2008 - 09:06
Damnated
Churchburner
"Sweaty, snotty and dirty rock 'n' roll"
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

Hits total: 3456 | This month: 5