Metal Storm logo
Best Pantera Album

Original post

Posted by IllNiñoSweden, 11.03.2008 - 16:50
My favorite album with Pantera are Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display Of Power, Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill.

But I choose Far Beyond Driven because this album have the best songs, for example Strength Beyond Strength, Becoming, 5 Minutes Alone, I'm Broken, Slaughtered and Planet Caravan.

I wish the album Reinventing The Steel (Panteras last album).

Poll

What is the best Pantera album?

Cowboys From Hell
Vulgar Display Of Power
Far Beyond Driven
The Great Southern Trendkill
Power Metal
Reinventing The Steel
I Am The Night
Metal Magic
Projects In The Jungle

Total votes: 208
31.12.2009 - 19:27
Warlock84

Honestly I can't decide which is my favorite. Every album has so many great tracks that I listen to one and think "This is the best" then put in another and change my mind to that one. I'm very fortunate I was able to see them in 2001, and later hang out with Dime and Vinnie a few times in 2004.

Riff in peace, Dime.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
01.01.2010 - 02:38
JD
Account deleted
I voted for Cowboys From Hell
13.01.2010 - 00:29
Brogkul

The Great Southern Trendkill is their best for me, followed by Far Beyond Driven.
Although I love CFH and Vulgar, the choice is easy for me. The sheer violence from beginning to end, intense riffs, awesome vocals, and the best solos for the band IMHO.

I grew up listening to Pantera and for me TGST is the evolution of their previous records, whenever I find myself in Pantera mood this is the one I go for. It certainly took it´s time to grow in me, but after years of hearing the band TGST made my all time favorites.
----
"The Sly One"
13.01.2010 - 01:38
Baz Anderson

I actually voted for "Far Beyond Driven" in the end, even though "Vulgar Display Of Power" was my first Pantera album (it was my mum that bought me the CD actually, so my mum introduced me to Pantera...).

But anyway. Both are great albums, and so are the others, but I think "Far Beyond Driven" just has more feeling to it. There is one song I hate on that album (and you can't really call it a song), but oh well, the mood I am in now - I would rather have this one with me.
27.03.2010 - 04:36
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I like walk off of vulgar display of power so i voted for it! :p
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
27.03.2010 - 17:26
Don Martin
le fu-
Cowboys from Hell! Hell yes, although VDOP was my first one I like this one better because it's got Heresy and The Art of Shredding on it
----
What a tackastrophe!
01.04.2010 - 12:59
Saitenhexerin

Oh man that's tough lol
I voted for Vulgar Display Of Power because it's the one I listen to most. But Cowboys From Hell, Far BEyond Driven and the Great Souther Trendkill are also great albums.
Cowboys first has this groove to it and it fucking rocks. The riffs are huge! Far Beyond Driven and The Greath Southern Trendkill are amazing albums - they show how much Pantera evolved and give proof of their creativity and musicianship. But Vulgar Display has it all - it's heavy, doesn't compromise and yet melodic. And I can refer to the vocals with all my heart, as they helped me through some tough times. Just listen to Mouth For War and you're ready to face anyone. Well that's how I feel about this album! m/
Pantera for ever, man. Dime, R.I.P.!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
02.04.2010 - 11:57
JohnWayneGacy666

Cowboys from hell, or far beyond driven, some insane shredding on those albums by dimebag r.i.p Pantera is one of the great early 90s thrash metal bands
14.06.2010 - 17:30
IllNiñoSweden

Written by Saitenhexerin on 01.04.2010 at 12:59

Oh man that's tough lol
I voted for Vulgar Display Of Power because it's the one I listen to most. But Cowboys From Hell, Far BEyond Driven and the Great Souther Trendkill are also great albums.
Cowboys first has this groove to it and it fucking rocks. The riffs are huge! Far Beyond Driven and The Greath Southern Trendkill are amazing albums - they show how much Pantera evolved and give proof of their creativity and musicianship. But Vulgar Display has it all - it's heavy, doesn't compromise and yet melodic. And I can refer to the vocals with all my heart, as they helped me through some tough times. Just listen to Mouth For War and you're ready to face anyone. Well that's how I feel about this album! m/
Pantera for ever, man. Dime, R.I.P.!

Lol, oh yeah I totally agree with you.
Almost every song in (Cowboys From Hell, Vulgar Display Of Power, Far Beyond Driven and The Greath Southern Trendkill) are awesome.
And yeah the song Mouth For War is one of my favorite songs on the Vulgar Display Of Power album.

Pantera for ever, R.I.P Dime!
14.06.2010 - 19:25
vezzy
Stallmanite
I'm probably gonna get mauled for this, but I think the famous VDoP/FBD-era Pantera isn't so good, their groove metal basically being watered down thrash. Still, I think Cowboys from Hell is great, so I'm going for it.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
26.06.2010 - 20:36
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
Power Metal. My favourite band is Judas Priest, and their Power Metal sounds like an almost heavier version of them. I really wish they didn't abandon it just because it wasn't br00tal.
02.07.2010 - 06:34
MetalFist
Account deleted
Honestly, i love VDoP and CfH the most, and it's a really hard decision between the two. But because ive been listening to VDoP more than CfH, and i guess i prefer more of the songs, im voting for Vulgar Display Of Power.
08.07.2010 - 08:29
CzirjakMan

Ill have to go with Vulgar Display. I think its the only Pantera album that truly captures who they are and what they're about- powerful, heavy, infectious rhythms, combined with Anselmo's blistering yet still understandable vocals that you can relate with, and Dime's fuckin unbelievable solos. So i see it as very similar to CfH, just bigger and stronger
08.07.2010 - 10:03
Weaponz248

Vulgar Display gets my vote. Pure power metal hell yeah!!!
08.07.2010 - 15:05
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Weaponz248 on 08.07.2010 at 10:03

Learn your genres, boy.

VDoP is groove metal, in other words watered down thrash (the only ones that made truly great groove metal were Exhorder), although better than FDB. Dimebag Darrell and Pantera became metal icons after Dimebag's death, despite the fact that both just weren't that great. I think Pantera is decent, but way overrated.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
07.09.2010 - 18:10
ProjectEndgame
Account deleted
I'll have to say Vulgar Display, CFH or Far Beyond Driven as the best albums. They all kick ass and it's a sign that they are a force not to be messed with. On the other hand, if it were my FAVOURITE Pantera album, I would've said Southern Trendkill in a heartbeat.
12.09.2010 - 19:54
Reza
Account deleted
Cowboys From Hell of course ! IMO it's an amazing album also my favorite pantera song "Cemetery Gates" is in this album.
12.09.2010 - 21:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"Cowboys From Hell" definitely. While I love a lot of the stuff on their other albums, Cowboys is the most varied and dynamic album they did, which makes it a more engaging listen than their other albums. Even though I find Vulgar Display to be a more consistent album in terms of overall song quality.
21.10.2010 - 17:20
Klintopher

That was a hard one, but I had to go with Far Beyond Driven. Strength Beyond Strength is one of my favorite songs and I just can't get tired of that album!!
26.04.2011 - 01:14
king_matt

I voted for Cowboys From Hell. Far Beyond Driven is a close second, though.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
30.04.2011 - 21:18
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Power Metal and Cowboys are my favorites, with PM coming in first. Vulgar and Far Beyond are snoozefests, TGST is good but not as good as PM or CBFH; same with RTS.
EDIT:

666 POST!!!
02.05.2011 - 15:56
Nefarious
Doom Knight
For me it is almost impossible to choose between Vulgar & CFH, but I have voted for Vulgar as it was the first Pantera album i ever heard or owned & find it their most consistent release. Although overall CFH probably had the slightly better songs.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
04.05.2011 - 15:34
FinnishSammich

1. Vulgar Display of Power
2. Far Beyond Driven
3. The Great Southern Trendkill
05.05.2011 - 22:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
That woul be my pick...

1. Vulgar Display of Power
2. Far Beyond Driven
3. Cowboys From Hell
4. The Greath Southern Trendkill

P.S. in the poll how is that even possible... having TGST under Power Metal wtf
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
06.05.2011 - 02:53
JCJen7

Written by vezzy on 08.07.2010 at 15:05

Written by Weaponz248 on 08.07.2010 at 10:03

Learn your genres, boy.

VDoP is groove metal, in other words watered down thrash (the only ones that made truly great groove metal were Exhorder), although better than FDB. Dimebag Darrell and Pantera became metal icons after Dimebag's death, despite the fact that both just weren't that great. I think Pantera is decent, but way overrated.

Personally, I'd say that it is somewhat ignorant to say that Pantera became metal icons after (and possibly your saying only because of) Dimebag's death. They were selling millions of albums in the 90's, and were the first (and still maybe only album, not sure) extreme metal album to go no. 1. The band was huge in the 90's, and yeah, Dimebag has become a little glorified because of his death, but let the music speak for itself. In my opinion Pantera has some absolutely fantastic guitar work, and they deserve the praise they have recieved.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
06.05.2011 - 04:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@JCJen7, I was there in the early 90s and indeed Pantera were HUGE in the 90s. Actually much more loved back then than nowadays. And please don't believe a word about them ripping off Exhorder. Both bands were huge friends of each other at the time. And tbh the first Exhorder was almost a Slayer rip-off nothing to do with groove only their second and also last The Law was groove and really not good AT ALL. So don't listen to the Metal Archives elitist who weren't there.

What helped Pantera during the second half of their career was that they supported Judas Priest who had just released Painkiller on the back of Cowboys From Hell. Thw Power Metal album had been totally ignored up till then, and rightly so. Their albums before that without Phil Anselmo had got much more critical acclaim, and rightly so. And no those aren't glam metal. uS Power they are by sound. But Power Metal was a failure all over.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.05.2011 - 15:54
Razorback

Cowboys From Hell
Vulgar Display Of Power
Far Beyond Driven
The Great Southern Trendkill

I really can't decide between these albums.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
22.09.2013 - 22:26
DaveBarlow

Cowboys From Hell for me
23.09.2013 - 02:02
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Vulgar Display Of Power, but Cowboys from Hell is close too.
23.09.2013 - 05:07
Demonmayonnaise

Cowboys from Hell is really the only Pantera album I enjoy all the way through. Not to say any of the others are bad, but I just don't enjoy them all the way through.