01. Sin Of Life
02. Crucifixion Fantasy
03. Vices Triumph Over Wisdom
04. Shade Of Rape
05. Under Zyklon Blue
06. Penetrated Slave
07. Rapist's Thrusts
08. The Sin Of Nature Is The Sign Of God

Ash Pool. An all american band, aiming for the top. The top of extreme obscenity and perversion, to be exact. After stepping up to crush the opposition in 2005, they released their debut album "World Turns On Its Hinge" rather anonymously. At least, it's been a long time since I've heard anyone mentioning them, while they are definitely not bad. Incorporating both Punk and Noise to a foundation of Black Metal, they are bound to lurk in the underground forever. Which will not be such a big deal to them, as it is the only place they should be. Near the core of Black Metal.

Their overwhelming, abrasive power akin to Akitsa is bound to shock the majority and charm the remaining few. Punkish, overdistorted and repetive riffs set the world in motion. For the next half hour, it will not cease to slowly swing on its rusty hinge. In the first half of the album, the music is fast, rather repetitive and noisy. Black Metal done so raw, it'll deafen you for at least a week if you're not an experienced listener. Image early Darkthrone, but much louder and obscene. From the fifth song "Under Zyklon Blue" the mood slowly shifts. Instead of punkish, the riffs get doomier and overall atmosphere gets more threatening instead of abrasive.

One of the two bandmembers, as it is unknown who does what, sounds as if you have your crappy iPod earplugs on too loud. You know, all the sounds gets flattened out and harsh, as if they are unwantedly distorted, which is quite painful for your ears. That's exactly what he sounds like, albeit that he is not so harsh in the mix that it hurts. That same vocalist, or perhaps the other guy, also does some very surprising clean singing in the background in the last song "The Sin Of Nature Is The Sign Of God".

"World Turns On Its Hinge" is a rather interesting and varying release. When the first seconds of audio terrorism invaded my ears, it did not do a thing for me. Little did I know, that it would both evolve into doomish Black Metal halfway through the record, and that the first punkish half of the album would grow on me that much. If it does not hit you in your first listening, do not give up on this immediately. After a few listens it might reveal itself. It might even cause some serious addiction problems.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 6
Production: 7

Written on 09.03.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 28 users
12.03.2008 - 09:54
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
The first impression was quite awesome, when listening to this album. I had just been enjoying Pig Destroyer before Ash Pool and these two bands flowed so seamlessly together.
The riffs are nothing short of brilliant.
07.11.2009 - 18:54
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Great album. The demos are far better though so hopefully they'll see a reissue some day.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.11.2009 - 02:35
Rating: 8
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by -tom- on 07.11.2009 at 18:54

Great album. The demos are far better though so hopefully they'll see a reissue some day.

Really? I never heard them but I'm very interested now. Ash Pool are the odd raw Black metal band that I really, really, really love to the core when I'm listening to them. Pure awesomeness.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
08.11.2009 - 15:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Lucas on 08.11.2009 at 02:35

Written by -tom- on 07.11.2009 at 18:54

Really? I never heard them but I'm very interested now. Ash Pool are the odd raw Black metal band that I really, really, really love to the core when I'm listening to them. Pure awesomeness.

Some songs from their demos ar ein their myspace
Pretty good for being demos.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.11.2009 - 15:18
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
U can still get Genital Tomb easy enough. The first demo is very rare and sells for a lot on ebay. I have an old dub lying around from before I managed to get hold of a real copy. I can mail it u if you're interested.

First demo is probably the best as well but I love the bloated bassy sound of Genital Tomb.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.11.2009 - 20:41
Rating: 8
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by -tom- on 08.11.2009 at 15:18

U can still get Genital Tomb easy enough. The first demo is very rare and sells for a lot on ebay. I have an old dub lying around from before I managed to get hold of a real copy. I can mail it u if you're interested.

First demo is probably the best as well but I love the bloated bassy sound of Genital Tomb.

Just ordered Saturns Slave & Genital Tomb. I think that'll keep me satisfied for a while. I'm not supposed to buy music this month anyway.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama

Hits total: 5077 | This month: 12