Metal Storm logo
Saxophone metal recommendations

14.03.2008 - 16:34
Graveheart

The thread title supposedly explains everything about why I wanted to create this topic Lately I've been attracted to saxophone in metal (thanks to Sigh) and I'm hungry for more because I know it's not an impossible idea, it's just unusual. I'm expecting there will be many suggestions from genres like avantgarde, folk and progressive metal, but of course anything goes. Just keep it within the metallic boundaries and drop the band names in, preferably with more descriptions than just the saxophone. (it's doesn't necessarily have to be used as the lead instrument, more like a distinctive element in the music)
14.03.2008 - 16:44
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Dream Theater has use Jay Beckenstein, the founder of Spyro Gyra. He played on Dream Theater's "Another Day", from the album Images and Words and single version of song "Through her Eyes", from the album Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory. He also played a solo part in "Take Away My Pain" on the live album Once in a Livetime as well as "Another Day" during the performance of Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York.
----
(space for rent)
14.03.2008 - 18:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
There is a Dutch thrash band who used saxophone in their music. ry to find Blind Justice's old releases and you'll be surprised.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2008 - 23:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I dunno any band but seems Dane Train already recomended but I will try fidn out about band what marcel mention, but usualy saxafone use jazz type of bands, so metal whit jazz elemeents can be it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.03.2008 - 18:38
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Don't Hate Me by Porcupine tree has an interesting sax solo
----
Stay Metal !!!
17.03.2008 - 14:28
Eternal Flames

Pan.Thy.Monium use a bit of saxophone throughout their music. Adds a really nice eerie mood to the music. The band was a side project of Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity). I highly recommend the "Dawn Of Dreams" album. Utilizes a bit of sax, but as you said, it's not a very prominent instrument in their music.
17.03.2008 - 14:57
Damnated
Churchburner
check out Yakuza, especially their album from 2006, Samsara. They play jazzcore. pretty amazing stuff.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
20.03.2008 - 00:47
necrovamp

hm, if you dont mind black metal try sear bliss, they ahve a trombone, which is fun.
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
20.03.2008 - 12:50
FOOCK Nam

The song Tuonela of Amorphis has a little bit saxphone in the end.
26.03.2008 - 00:10
W-Lash
Metal Master
Hm...as far as i know Carpathian Forest used saxophone (or related instrument) in song "Cold Comfort" (or it was "Cold Murderous Music"?)
02.04.2008 - 05:35
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Amorphis has some song with Saxophone in their album "Am universum"
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.11.2008 - 06:49
Uller

The song asylum of To-mera, besides its great, it has a kick ass saxophone solo
----
26.11.2008 - 06:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
The closest thing I could think of is Hanoi Rocks. Thats if you enjoy glam rock.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.11.2008 - 11:50
TheBigRossowski

In Den Saakaldte they have small trumpet parts throughout the album that are actually quite good.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
26.11.2008 - 20:58
ASiema113

Order Of The Ebon Hand a Black Metal band from Greece, have an excellent saxphone solo on their track "Gateway To Silence" off of their XV:The Devil album.
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
27.11.2008 - 16:25
FOOCK Nam

The Ocean also uses saxophone. Another band using saxophone I heard is Green Carnation.
30.11.2008 - 20:26
annodomini

UneXpect is using saxophone in some of their songs.
----
the riddle wants to be...
30.11.2008 - 20:37
wrathchild

There's Hyskal, a progressive metal band from France (with French lyrics). I saw them once, opening for Manigance in a very small venue and I liked it, though I haven't listened to them since then (that was in 2006).
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
30.11.2008 - 20:44
Sunioj

Written by TheBigRossowski on 26.11.2008 at 11:50

In Den Saakaldte they have small trumpet parts throughout the album that are actually quite good.

I was about to say but you beat me to it!! Great band...
30.11.2008 - 20:47
I, The Quatropus

Try finding Sol Niger Within by Fredrik Thordendal's Special Defects. Some tracks have some saxophone playing (and might I say some good playing).
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
01.12.2008 - 15:04
TheBigRossowski

Written by Sunioj on 30.11.2008 at 20:44

Written by TheBigRossowski on 26.11.2008 at 11:50

I was about to say but you beat me to it!! Great band...

It would have only helped this guy more in case he didn't see my post before

At first, I didn't really like the sound of the trumpets, but it really grew on me. My only problem with that album is that its over too fast!
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
01.12.2008 - 16:37
Syk
myspace/bonerama
French wacko-death Trepalium has guest saxophone, watch the video they have on here. Great band btw.

edit 08/02 - I'm listening to Suspyre right now, non-extreme prog with a bit of sax (at least in the song Siren from their latest album; that shouldn't be the only one judging by their lineup listing). I should have also recommended Ephel Duath's Passage video straight away - hope you like it.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
26.01.2009 - 21:20
Fhuesc

Deadlock - Fire at Will, has a really cool sax solo.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
26.01.2009 - 21:33
Ragana
Rawrcat
I heard a saxophone alike sounds in Shade Empire's newest album "Zero Nexus" too, you know.
29.01.2009 - 00:34
Hyvaarin

There's a song towards the end of 'Assassins...' by Nachtmystium that has a super sexy saxophone solo.

Goofy instrument, though.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
29.01.2009 - 12:12
ForeverDarkWoods

I think Diablo Swing Orchestra is the way to go. They use a bunch of whacko instruments, and I think saxophone is one of them. It's absolutely not any kind of ordinary metal though.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
03.11.2010 - 11:29
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Helloween - Dr. Stein [2009 version]...lol
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.08.2012 - 21:08
s7ian
Account deleted
Ishahn - Undercurrent + On the shores from: After
The Faceless - Deconsecrate
20.08.2012 - 23:38
Mad Arab666

Sigh uses a saxophone. The in somniphobia album has some great saxophone moments.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
23.08.2012 - 12:54
whatsacow

Written by Guest on 02.11.2010 at 22:38

You may know some of these or maybe all but... Ulver in Perdition City (maybe somewhere else, don't remember right know), Ihsahn in the latest album had some saxos. Shining [NOR] ;check Blackjazz.

edit: i checked your collection and found you're already familiar with Ulver.
edit: i forgot In Lingua Mortua

Was just about to mention Shining and Ulver...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?