Band: Hail Of Bullets
Album: CDemo 2007
Style: Death metal
Release date: September 2007

01. General Winter
02. Red Wolves Of Stalin
03. Ordered Eastward
04. Advancing Once More

What do you get when you bring five Dutch metalheads together, each with a more-than-worthy history (Asphyx, Thanatos, and Houwitser), who form a band wherein the sole purpose is to recreate some of the most devastating sounds of the last century? A fucking orgasm of war!

Hail of Bullets aren't out to be faster than anyone, or more brutal, or more true, they're just out to kick ass, and trust me, they certainly do. From the first kick of "General Winter" to the last crash of "Advancing Once More" you know you're in for one killer ride. To set words to the music would be futile, but you can imagine the music to be a big ass bludgeoning tank rolling across frost bitten lands running down its enemies. At times the music can be slow and crushing, yet at other times can be fast and pummeling all the same.

One of the things I enjoy most about this demo, apart from the awesome songwriting and Martin's "sick-as-fuck vocals", is the production. It manages to be crystal clear without being overproduced. It doesn't fall victim to the cliche "shitty sound" on demos, and these songs sound like they could be pulled directly off of an album.

All in all, this is one fantastic, yet unfortunately short, demo that will leave you begging for more from these guys. Even though there are only four songs, the demo is extremely consistent in both quality of songwriting and the memorableness of the songs. Paul Baayens and Stephan Gebedi manage to grind out some of the best Death Metal riffs I've heard in a long time along with some respectable solos; while Ed Warby and Theo van Eekelen on drums and bass, respectively, manage to give the demo a heavy foundation; and Martin van Drunen manages to spew forth some of the most sickening vocals I've heard this side of John Tardy.

If you haven't heard this, check out their myspace where the demo is up in its entirety. For a demo, it doesn't get much better than this, so don't miss it for sure!

Written by Clintagräm | 18.03.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 43 users
18.03.2008 - 10:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I agree though I find the rating too high, I would settle for a 8.5.

And the production is top notch like you said. But what do you expect from Dan Swanö twiddling the production knobs?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2008 - 10:44
ylside

Of course of course.
Great demo which makes me hungry for more.
Forget about any Pestilence reunion and wait for THIS instead.
18.03.2008 - 15:55
Rating: 9
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Forgot to add Pestilence and Gorefest to the band list. Oh well. Still great.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2008 at 10:08

I agree though I find the rating too high, I would settle for a 8.5.

And the production is top notch like you said. But what do you expect from Dan Swanö twiddling the production knobs?

Well, I was thinking about just a 9, but this is all I really could ask for for a first demo. Great nonetheless. And Swanö is king indeed.
----
The force will be with you, always.
18.03.2008 - 22:57
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Good review, but to agree with Marcel, rating is too high.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
19.03.2008 - 00:02
Deadsoulman

Excellent demo like you all said. I particularly enjoy the vocals. Growls that should be taken as an example by all the cookie monsters out there.

About the rating, I wouldn't give more than 8/8.5 to a demo, but hey, it's your call
19.03.2008 - 02:34
Rating: 9
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Deadsoulman on 19.03.2008 at 00:02

Growls that should be taken as an example by all the cookie monsters out there.

Hell yeah, his vocals at about the halfway point of "Ordered Eastward" as awesome. Ha!
----
The force will be with you, always.
22.06.2008 - 11:45
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Nothing special.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets

Hits total: 4387 | This month: 3