Album: Progeny
Style: Melodic death metal, Progressive metal
Release date: 2007

01. Progeny
02. Desert Of Sad
03. Wishing Scar
04. Maria
05. Sediment Of War

"Progeny" is the second demo of the American combo, Hung. The name of the band comes from the name of their violinist, Lyris Hung who've founded the band with the guitarist Evil Jon and the bassist Sam Roon. Hung is an original band which mixes Folk influences and Progressive Death Metal. This is not perfect but for a demo this is extremely promising and I think that a lot of good things will come to this band if they follow this road.

The particularity of Hung is that the music of the band is leaded by the electric violin of Lyris Hung. It's really nice because in the end the violin is perfectly mixed with some really nice Progressive Death Metal. This is progressive music; the songs are long with a lot of breaks or passages without any vocals, this is complex and we have a lot of great dark ambiances. Plus of course, this is really nice to hear a violinist which plays some really dark and sad melodies on Progressive Death. On the other hand, be aware that it's special, I mean that it's good to listen to soft Death Metal with violins but in the end you must like Folk sonorities if you want to fully enjoy this demo. It's well done really but I hope that you like violins yes?

For a demo, I can tell you that it's a nice release. The packaging is really good, the CD, which only features five songs, is long (more than 35 minutes) and the production without being the best one is really good. Only the voice of the singer (especially with his Black Metal voice) can be a bit boring sometime, but at least he uses to sings with a lot of different voices and it's not easy to do that. The songs are well-composed, really "Progeny" is a promising demo.

Let's wait the first album of the combo but I'm sure that it should be good! Hung is an original combo and I like their mix of Prog, Death and Folk Metal. I really think that they only have good cards in their hands, they just have to confirm my words now and I'm sure that you'll hear some good words about them soon. "Progeny" is a nice demo, be sure to remember the name of this band now, they deserve it.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 19.03.2008

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 61 users
19.03.2008 - 14:55
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Wow this stuff is really good, each time i listen to metal with folk induced elements i get a bit of the same. Somehow this stays away from the generic folk sound, more technical, lots of progressive elements, I'm liking this stuff alot.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
21.03.2008 - 19:25
Duy Hung
Account deleted
Haven't heard of them before, but this violinist is probably a Vietnamese guy
24.03.2008 - 02:10
rohgue123

the violinist isnt a guy its girl.
----
God has a hard-on for me.

Hits total: 5127 | This month: 18