20. I Walk Alone [Artist version] [bonus]
21. I Walk Alone [In Extremo remix] [bonus]

Disc II [limited edition DVD]
01. I Walk Alone [video]
02. I Walk Alone [artist version] [video]
03. Making of 'I Walk Alone'
04. Making of 'My Winter Storm' album
+ Photo Gallery

Here she comes, here she comes, we've been waiting for so long. Indeed, the ex-Nightwish wonderwoman Tarja Turunen is back striking the audiences with an enormously long album "My Winter Storm", filled with numerous bonus tracks and even an Alice Cooper cover "Poison". Tarja's solo project was spellbinding even during the days when she was still singing for Nightwish. After her departure both "Dark Passion Play" (by Nightwish) and "My Winter Storm" were among the most anticipated albums of the year. Nightwish's new album met enormous success. Tarja's solo project seems to be more modest. But we'll see what her album has to offer.

Tarja always stated she was an opera performer after all. Therefore it is visible that the style she's making now is somehow similar to Sarah Brightman. However, compared to the more experienced Brightman My Winter Storm cannot be considered a sensational masterpiece. The positive sides of the album do resemble Brightman. The beautiful choruses, the string ensemble melodies and the mild percussion make the music very enjoyable and create a perfect romantic atmosphere. Nevertheless, when it comes to producing symphonic metal, then the album loses some of its quality. There is not a drop of Nightwish style here. Tarja isn't obviously writing all of the music and has a crew of producers, managers and other people to do the job. Since so many people are working at the music then it's sad but true that the stitches joining the ideas start to unravel in some places. That always happens when it comes to industrial production of music. The minus of the album is that the metal background becomes monotonous by the end. A major danger while composing long releases.

However, Turunen has always been a good singer and she does a fine job on this album as well. We will definitely see her making more good music and developing her own fine style. My personal favourites among the songs of My Winter Storm would be "Die Alive", "The Reign", "My Little Phoenix" and "Lost Northern Star". The beautiful Finnish language ballad "Oasis" is also one of the best tracks of the album. Though I like Mozart's "Requiem" a lot I don't think that using bits of it in the two opening songs of the album would add much to it. Her "I'm never tired when it comes to praising myself" attitude isn't a plus either but at the same time Dark Passion Play features it as well and whether we want it or not this is an essential attitude for most celebrities.

As a result I'll make a nice clear conclusion. Tarja's My Winter Storm isn't exactly the best album of the year but it shows great potential and I'm sure that a grand future lies ahead of Tarja and she has the talent to create best music. I'll be waiting for her new releases in the future and why not hope for a Nightwish featuring Tarja Turunen project. The hopes are high and for the moment now My Winter Storm receives a magical 7.7.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Ernis | 14.03.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 22   Visited by: 195 users
20.03.2008 - 18:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I'm very curious about this release, but also fear a huge headache. I think my curiosity will win someday, as there are of course medicines against headaches.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
20.03.2008 - 18:38
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Lucas on 20.03.2008 at 18:19

I'm very curious about this release, but also fear a huge headache. I think my curiosity will win someday, as there are of course medicines against headaches.

I doubt you'll get a headache....I suggest you give her album a try...
21.03.2008 - 14:26
Deadsoulman

This was the most boring album of last year for me. Her voice is ok but not that good and the music is just very dull. There is absolutely nothing worth any kind of interest on this release. And there is certainly not any kind of 'atmosphere'. This is just a cold, lifeless, commercial album made for the avid Nightwish fans. IMO, of course.

I think I rated it a 3, and that's exactly what it is worth.
27.05.2008 - 08:48
Rating: 4
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
pretty much. i gave it a 5 simply because her voice is wonderful. the songs themselves are plastic, boring, dull, color-by-numbers.

if not for the strength of her voice, i'd probably match Collin's 3.

(edit: after her soulless cover of Poison finally made it's way to my randomizer, i'm dropping it to a 4. )
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.07.2008 - 05:18
alexxhighlander

I waited for this release anxiously like most Tarja era Nightwish fans did. But it came off my CD player after only a few listens, as it gets progressively boring after each and every song, with very few good moments. The mix is wrong, the symphonic metal side is weak, as stated in the review, and the Alice Cooper cover is just plain dull. The only good use I can find for this album is as background music for a romantic evening with the volume way low. There's not a single noteworthy guitar solo on the thing, the drumming is below average, and the only striking feature is her voice, which sounds weird in the mix at times. I love Tarja, but this is disappointing.
28.08.2008 - 01:14
Rating: 9
Enissa

Actually I just got this album
well, Its not the best album of the year, but its a nice try from Tarja since she doesnt write music
The Review is very fair i must say, and I like the release cause it has a beatiful calm atmosphere, and the songs are not plastic or dull like BitterCOld & alexxhighlander & Collin said
You dont have to expect a regular nightwish album like Oceanborn or Once
and for you alexxhighlander, there is no noteworthy guitar solo in this album, cause Symphonic Metal doesnt contain solos in the songs
and if u dont believe me, u can check Epica & WT
the review rate is fair, but i must rate it 8.
28.08.2008 - 02:26
Janne
Hugin
7 for songwrieing? nooo, that's too much!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
28.08.2008 - 09:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, that was a very boring album, so I agree with many previous comments.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.12.2008 - 17:35
Rating: 3
iaberis
Advice Troll
Very bad album full of fillers... only 2-3 songs are ok... 2.5/10 from me
----
Bitch! Please
16.12.2008 - 02:55
Rating: 5
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
This is NOT metal. Maybe Symphonic Rock, but half the album is chamber music, really. Now I know why Nightwish stated Tarja wanted to head in a different artistic path, it has nothing to do with the epic and powerful performance she offered with her former bandmates. These songs are slow, pale and cold... My Winter Storm? Right for the "Winter" part but don't expect any storm coming out your earphones... Even Tarja's voice, which is about the only audible thing by the way, is not the same as it was. The only song that could be called metal on this album is Ciaran's Well, but it has nothing remarkable and Tarja'S voice is plainly annoying on it, especially at the end, when she shrieks like a rabid parrot... 5/10
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
16.12.2008 - 13:47
Ernis
狼獾
"Ciaran's Well" didn't suit the album very well, to be honest.....nope, I wouldn't even say that was decent metal...this was just some guitar cacophony with Tarja howling a bit...nothing special.....
And does everything need to be fast/slap-in-the-face/bombastic with bunch of electric guitars, amplifiers, fast drumming and stuff? Even if Tarja isn't doing symphonic power metal any longer, she does have a background and she does have the abilities.....
The Gathering ain't making doom death metal nowadays either nor is Anneke Van Giersbergen up to it...but is the music good? Yes, it is.
And well...even if Tarja's "My Winter Storm" is indeed an album with fillers and other flaws, I still say it's better than some "rrraaape evvvry whooore" however bombastic and fast and brutal.....
16.12.2008 - 13:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ernis on 16.12.2008 at 13:47

The Gathering ain't making doom death metal nowadays either nor is Anneke Van Giersbergen up to it...but is the music good? Yes, it is.

Anneke never played doom death with them
The first album she sang on is of course Mandylion and that isn't doom death by the furthest stretch of the imagination.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.12.2008 - 14:05
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.12.2008 at 13:52

Written by Ernis on 16.12.2008 at 13:47

Anneke never played doom death with them
The first album she sang on is of course Mandylion and that isn't doom death by the furthest stretch of the imagination.

I know perfectly that Anneke didn't sing doom death with them....I just pointed out that the band did that style of music.....
16.12.2008 - 16:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ernis on 16.12.2008 at 14:05

I know perfectly that Anneke didn't sing doom death with them....I just pointed out that the band did that style of music.....

Wasn't 100% clear to me from what you posted, sorry. But I disagree about their music being good nowadays. Of course that is just my opinion. After Always The Gathering turned into a band that started to play music to fall asleep to within a minute But of course that is all totally off-topic.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.03.2009 - 23:06
face_your_demons

There's some songs of this album that are amazing but the album is not outstandig..but still love Tarja's voice
----
02.03.2009 - 02:02
Rating: 6
Dominus
The Shooter
In my opinion this album is quite boring, but the voice of Tarja continues being sensational. I hope that their next works they are focused in a heavy direction
23.08.2009 - 22:26
Wyrd

Written by MétalNoir on 16.12.2008 at 02:55

This is NOT metal. Maybe Symphonic Rock, but half the album is chamber music, really. Now I know why Nightwish stated Tarja wanted to head in a different artistic path, it has nothing to do with the epic and powerful performance she offered with her former bandmates. These songs are slow, pale and cold... My Winter Storm? Right for the "Winter" part but don't expect any storm coming out your earphones... Even Tarja's voice, which is about the only audible thing by the way, is not the same as it was. The only song that could be called metal on this album is Ciaran's Well, but it has nothing remarkable and Tarja'S voice is plainly annoying on it, especially at the end, when she shrieks like a rabid parrot... 5/10

I agree with you fully. I was sh sh sh SHOCKED to find this boring trash in the metal section at my local music store.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
23.08.2009 - 22:52
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight

This is NOT metal.

what about this version?

----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.08.2009 - 21:47
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Ellrohir on 23.08.2009 at 22:52

This is NOT metal.

what about this version?

lolll I don't know that band but I must admit I was expecting BM, from the cover art. This is quite ridiculous, but at least it sounds metal!
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
29.08.2009 - 22:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Damn, this would be really really gay black metal with such a cover

Jørn is "progressive heavy hard rock"
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

09.11.2009 - 01:32
SatyriconChick

I love this album! "I Walk Alone" is probably my favorite track. I saw Tarja live in late April, and she was amazing!
21.08.2010 - 03:49
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Written by Enissa on 28.08.2008 at 01:14

Actually I just got this album
well, Its not the best album of the year, but its a nice try from Tarja since she doesnt write music
The Review is very fair i must say, and I like the release cause it has a beatiful calm atmosphere, and the songs are not plastic or dull like BitterCOld & alexxhighlander & Collin said
You dont have to expect a regular nightwish album like Oceanborn or Once
and for you alexxhighlander, there is no noteworthy guitar solo in this album, cause Symphonic Metal doesnt contain solos in the songs
and if u dont believe me, u can check Epica & WT
the review rate is fair, but i must rate it 8.

I agree. It's not that bad.

Hits total: 12092 | This month: 9