Metal Storm logo
Candlemass - Guitarist Jailed For Grand Theft

According to a report from Realtid.se Candlemass guitarist Mats Björkman will spend two years in a Swedish prison, convicted of grand theft following an investigation that revealed that he and an accomplice stole CDs with a retail value of SEK 3 million (approximately $490,000) from the Entertainment Network Scandinavia AB warehouse, where the pair worked.

The full report can be found here (in Swedish). An English translation of the story can be found at this location.

UPDATED on 24 March:

Candlemass have issued the following statement: "Candlemass' answer to the crap that's been published lately is very simple: NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! The band will record the planned EP, "Lucifer Rising", in April WITH MAPPE... Candlemass will also tour the States WITH MAPPE in May and June and also record the follow up to "King Of The Grey Islands" this coming autumn WITH MAPPE!! Despite what's been said in the press the band is very optimistic about the future. 2008 and 2009 will be two great years for Candlemass. Don't believe everything you read!!"

Source: bravewords.com
Band profile: Candlemass
Posted: 21.03.2008 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 29   Visited by: 117 users
21.03.2008 - 17:26
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
I believed that it was the albums sales that brought back to the artists, not the theft.
21.03.2008 - 17:28
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
They worked in Entertainment Network?!
I thought they made enough money with the band and stuff.
Anw the guitarist wasnt too bad, it reelly is a shame that dumbass went to jail. It reelly is hilarious though, and its the first time i hear o a celebrity going to jail without being saved by all his money!LOL:P:necro:
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
21.03.2008 - 17:30
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Damn. That's quite a long time.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.03.2008 - 17:47
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hahaha!
----
21.03.2008 - 18:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
only think what I had palnned stall are booze shop and CD store but seems thay send in jail for all ctimes

Buyt I belive he is inocente its sabotage
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.03.2008 - 18:38
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Damn... This is what I call weird stuff...
----
21.03.2008 - 18:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 17:30

Damn. That's quite a lot of CD's... Like 30,500 or so.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.03.2008 - 18:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:40

Yes, of course it is. Keep in mind I didn't say it was 'too' long.

2 years.. compared to 30,500 cd's.. If I could keep the cd's, I'd call it a deal.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.03.2008 - 18:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

I be happy whit half of it, where he keep it those CD even Marcel dont owns so much
----

apos;'
[image]
21.03.2008 - 18:48
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Lucas on 21.03.2008 at 18:44

2 years.. compared to 30,500 cd's.. If I could keep the cd's, I'd call it a deal.

for sake of imagination, if they were all different cd's (i.e. not 10,000 copies of the Black Album), and assuming an average length of 45 minutes, that's more music than he could listen to during his incarceration... 950 or so days worth of tunes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.03.2008 - 18:50
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by BitterCOld on 21.03.2008 at 18:48

for sake of imagination, if they were all different cd's (i.e. not 10,000 copies of the Black Album), and assuming an average length of 45 minutes, that's more music than he could listen to during his incarceration... 950 or so days worth of tunes.

Exactly my point. Though, imaging 10,000 copies of the Black Album, I need a bucket.
----

21.03.2008 - 19:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Damn how much it weight I douvt I can handel alobe more how 400 CD
----

apos;'
[image]
21.03.2008 - 19:38
Piro

I heard about this earlier in the morning, and I was shocked, I didn't really expect for someone in Candlemass to be involved in a scheme like this. Still, all those CDs, were they metal CDs or just stuff that was randomly chosen to be sold?
----
<Philosophy>Insert Intelligent Sounding yet meaningless Philosophical Quote Here</Philosophy>
21.03.2008 - 21:55
Talvi

Guess it was pop albums so they can burn them and eradicate false music!

Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 17:28

Anw the guitarist wasnt too bad, it reelly is a shame that dumbass went to jail. It reelly is hilarious though, and its the first time i hear o a celebrity going to jail without being saved by all his money!LOL:P:necro:

I don't think Candlemass is a so important band so that any of them could be called a celebrity...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
21.03.2008 - 22:21
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by Talvi on 21.03.2008 at 21:55

I don't think Candlemass is a so important band so that any of them could be called a celebrity...

well yeh but wudnt the money they get for all the concerts n stuff be enough to make a living, i didnt find it so essential for any of them to be working some minor job like that.Shows that even people in bands are all like us tho
----
21.03.2008 - 22:39
Talvi

Written by Born-2rise on 21.03.2008 at 22:21

Written by Talvi on 21.03.2008 at 21:55

well yeh but wudnt the money they get for all the concerts n stuff be enough to make a living, i didnt find it so essential for any of them to be working some minor job like that.Shows that even people in bands are all like us tho

Because they ARE like us. It takes quite a lot for a band to sell enough so they can live ONLY with their music. And Candlemass isn't one of the best known bands out there. Also, if they have the time, they may still want to work to get more money.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
22.03.2008 - 02:18
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Yeah, you need to drop your way of thinking from 24 hours ago. Looking at all the bands on this site, I would hazard a guess that only about the 20 or 30 most popular acts can rely on their band's musical earnings as their main (or even sole) source of income.

I hope for everyone's sake that he actually did do it, and that he and the other guy and the guy from Obituary learn something from their incarceration.
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
22.03.2008 - 03:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Jeez. Why wouldn't they just download like everyone else and steal from the comfort of your own home?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.03.2008 - 07:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
goddamn thats nuts. how the shit do you get out of a store with 490,000 US dollars worth of merchandise?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.03.2008 - 08:00
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by LeChron James on 22.03.2008 at 07:30
goddamn thats nuts. how the shit do you get out of a store with 490,000 US dollars worth of merchandise?
According to the report, by being a "Man of Shadows" and taking your time
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
22.03.2008 - 14:31
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by Syk on 22.03.2008 at 02:18

Yeah, you need to drop your way of thinking from 24 hours ago. Looking at all the bands on this site, I would hazard a guess that only about the 20 or 30 most popular acts can rely on their band's musical earnings as their main (or even sole) source of income.

I hope for everyone's sake that he actually did do it, and that he and the other guy and the guy from Obituary learn something from their incarceration.

wow thx, i dnt know that
----
23.03.2008 - 18:33
selken
Irreligious
0wn3d!!!
if you play with fire, guess that.... you'll get burned!
----
24.03.2008 - 13:28
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Doc G. on 22.03.2008 at 03:53

Jeez. Why wouldn't they just download like everyone else and steal from the comfort of your own home?

Hear, hear.

Seriously, what a stupid thing to do. It's hilarious, but I hope this doesn't have too many disastrous implications for the band's touring and/or songwriting.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
24.03.2008 - 15:14
Nox Lux
codebreaker
well, with the way that they overprice albums, and considering the people they worked for bought in mass regular wholesale, they probably only stole a tenth of the value - $49,000 - but a mere fraction of a record label exec's salary.

surely that's nothing compared, two weeks of community service and a slap on the wrist would do?

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
24.03.2008 - 21:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Judas on 24.03.2008 at 13:28

Written by Doc G. on 22.03.2008 at 03:53

Hear, hear.

Seriously, what a stupid thing to do. It's hilarious, but I hope this doesn't have too many disastrous implications for the band's touring and/or songwriting.

I imagine they were just planning on selling them, I dont know what I'd do with that many albums on my own, especially all at once.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.03.2008 - 23:03
Thryce
Retired Staff
Candlemass have issued the following statement: "Candlemass' answer to the crap that's been published lately is very simple: NOTHING HAS CHANGED!! The band will record the planned EP, "Lucifer Rising", in April WITH MAPPE... Candlemass will also tour the States WITH MAPPE in May and June and also record the follow up to King Of The Grey Islands this coming autumn WITH MAPPE!! Despite what's been said in the press the band is very optimistic about the future. 2008 and 2009 will be two great years for Candlemass. Don't believe everything you read!!"
----
Your favorite band sucks.
16.11.2008 - 15:39
Metalbound7

it depends, if you can listen to Metal in jail call it a deal. if not... I can't resist more than 2 days without Metal, now 2 years...
02.05.2009 - 06:05
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Personally, I think this is a plot by space faring cyborg hooker squid impersonating him and then causing widespread havok through the timeline by trying to fuck up Candlemass. In turn chanign the future for it was foretold in prophecy a Candlemass tour in the year 2011 will prevent invasion from the stars. Call it a theory, but I think this is truly the case. Hell it's gotta be!
----
02.05.2009 - 06:07
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
On the other hand I sincerely hope he atleast stole albums that were worth it!
----

Hits total: 4364 | This month: 7