Metal Storm logo
Michael Kiske - Solo Album Details And Samples

Frontiers Records is pleased to announce all the details for the release of Michael Kiske's new album entitled "Past In Different Ways" on May 9th 2008.

This much talked about album includes the reworking in a new fully acoustic and stripped back mood of some of Helloween's classics that Kiske wrote and recorded in his early days with the legendary German Heavy Metal band. "When Serafino Perugino brought up the idea to do this record" says Michael, "my first reaction was: "No way! I don't want to be dealing with my past all the time anymore!". But after a few days my thinking changed and I thought: maybe it's not such a bad idea at all? Because on one hand it shows that I don't reject my past just because I'm a different person today and on the other hand it can maybe give people who were part of that past a different view at those songs. It's my music, I can still identify myself with its spirit, so why should I not do this?"

Working in a creatively free environment helped Michael to look at his past with different eyes and brought the idea of working again on the songs that Michael wrote for Helloween during his years with the band. The result is "Past In Different Ways", a record which includes brand new recordings of Kiske's songs taken off the two "Keeper" albums, "Chameleon" and "Pink Bubbles Go Ape", plus the brand new song "Different Ways".

The unconventional arrangements of many of the tracks will surprise and delight many of his fans and more surprising is to see how well these songs sound with a basic acoustic arrangement, without the "useless weight" and with new keys. "Songs like "In The Night" or "When The Sinner" which where never favourites of mine are much cooler and much more convincing now for my ears", says Michael.

The album was recorded and mixed in Hamburg under Michael Kiske's direction and features long time collaborators such as Sandro Giampietro on guitar, Fontaine Burnett on bass and Karsten Nagel on drums.

Kiske concludes: "It was not always easy for me emotionally to deal with this material. Music somehow seems to preserve emotional memories and I connect big human disappointments with the last years of that time. There's also something very unsatisfying about re-recording old songs; it's always MUCH better to write new stuff, but I wanted to make those songs mine again. And in spite of the fact that I strongly felt for the last couple of years that I rather have to build myself a new base of friends, it's always good
to make peace with your past".

Final tracklisting of "Past In Different Ways" [cover] include the following tracks:

• You Always Walk Alone [mp3]
  • We Got The Right [mp3]
  • I Believe [mp3]
  • Longing
  • Your Turn
  • Kids Of The Century
  • In The Night
  • Going Home
  • A Little Time [mp3]
  • When The Sinner
  • Different Ways (brand new song).

"Past In Different Ways" will see the light in Europe on May 9th 2008 on Frontiers Records.

Source: frontiers.it
  • Posted: 21.03.2008 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
    Comments: 26   Visited by: 96 users
    21.03.2008 - 19:06
    iaberis
    Advice Troll
    Nice, I'll buy it!
    But didn't the ex-Helloween member participate as they were saying?
    ----
    Bitch! Please
    21.03.2008 - 19:19
    Bad English
    Tage Westerlund
    Hmm wont buy it but download maybe
    ----
    Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
    apos;'
    [image]
    I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
    21.03.2008 - 19:24
    whitepawel

Piece of shit, like all his solo albums...
    21.03.2008 - 22:49
    insanity.peppers

I think I'll buys this
    21.03.2008 - 23:11
    Newfie_Metal

I wish he had of done some better songs off the Keeper albums. Oh well.
    21.03.2008 - 23:39
    Inlé

What a gimmick.
    22.03.2008 - 00:47
    insanity.peppers

Written by Newfie_Metal on 21.03.2008 at 23:11

I think he can only do the ones he wrote himself. I doubt he's can afford to pay royalties at this point =P
    22.03.2008 - 01:37
    iaberis
    Advice Troll
    Written by whitepawel on 21.03.2008 at 19:24

**** off bitch!
    His solo albums aren't the best, but show some damn respect.
    I didn't saw you releasing anything at his level.
    Now do this world a favor and die.
    ----
    Bitch! Please
    22.03.2008 - 01:57
    Lucas
    Mr. Noise
    Written by iaberis on 22.03.2008 at 01:37

Written by whitepawel on 21.03.2008 at 19:24

**** off bitch!
    His solo albums aren't the best, but show some damn respect.
    I didn't saw you releasing anything at his level.
    Now do this world a favor and die.

Calm down, dude.
    ----
    SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
    22.03.2008 - 02:52
    whitepawel

I respect Michael Kiske and I agree that he's a talented vocalist, but his solo albums are all unlistenable crap. Better?
    22.03.2008 - 05:15
    Newfie_Metal

Written by insanity.peppers on 22.03.2008 at 00:47

Written by Newfie_Metal on 21.03.2008 at 23:11

I think he can only do the ones he wrote himself. I doubt he's can afford to pay royalties at this point =P

That makes sense, at least "A Little Time" is there, fairly good song.
    22.03.2008 - 05:22
    4look4rd
    The Sasquatch
    can someone tell him to go fuck himself?
    ----
    22.03.2008 - 07:26
    LeChron James
    Helvetesfossen
    sick cover. i hope this is better than any of his recent solos stuff.
    ----
    Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
    Stay Pure
    Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
    22.03.2008 - 11:19
    Thryce
    Retired Staff
    Written by 4look4rd on 22.03.2008 at 05:22

can someone tell him to go fuck himself?

Easy there tough guy. Why don't you go lie on the ground for a while before you hurt yourself.

@ iaberis: you do realize you have the vocabulary of a 13year-old/an Anal Cunt song?
    ----
    Your favorite band sucks.
    22.03.2008 - 12:13
    santiagomp

It is so difficult to understand his way? I don't think so, when so many guys here write so agressiv comments... It'a a pity, that the fans are not tolerant. Musicians should have the liberty to do whatever thet want to do, music is ART and doesn't need to be accepted for anybody else but the artist itself. I love Kiskes voice!
    22.03.2008 - 15:48
    iaberis
    Advice Troll
    Written by Thryce on 22.03.2008 at 11:19

@ iaberis: you do realize you have the vocabulary of a 13year-old/an Anal Cunt song?

yeah, but it's fun.
    Me is happy this way
    ----
    Bitch! Please
    22.03.2008 - 15:59
    iaberis
    Advice Troll
    Written by whitepawel on 22.03.2008 at 02:52

I respect Michael Kiske and I agree that he's a talented vocalist, but his solo albums are all unlistenable crap. Better?

better!
    ----
    Bitch! Please
    22.03.2008 - 15:59
    4look4rd
    The Sasquatch
    I just lost the last bit of respect that I had towards him. I never liked his voice, but I cant deny that both keepers are so damn good (the legacy is amazing too) but thats pretty much all he has done in what.... 20years? I dont miss him a bit on helloween
    ----
    23.03.2008 - 04:42
    selken
    Irreligious
    So...
    this dude is still alive??
    His solo albums are bad, don't wanna hear about him...
    (Someone: so, why the f**k are you posting here?, fun )
    ----
    23.03.2008 - 18:20
    Baz Anderson

sounds ok, although a little pointless...
    good that he feels he has "made peace with his past" though - but I can't imagine it is so much of a traumatising experience to have released some of the best albums ever in power metal
    23.03.2008 - 18:32
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    I really can't understand why the best voice Helloween ever had (and probably ever will have) couldn't seem to release any listenable solo albums. But then again Geoff Tate's solo albums are also shitty at best. And Kiske on the Keeper albums at times does get eerily close to Geoff Tate (at the time of course, cause now Tate can't sing to save his life any more it seems.)
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.03.2008 - 19:50
    marillionfan
    Account deleted
    I'm not fond of kiske's solo works either; but he had a project in 2005 called Place Vendome - a selftitled album which i found to be really good, not metal but AOR influenced hard rock, with really good musicianship, honestly, at least for me.

I would buy this new album of his, if i find it; i think he's got the right to perform these songs, after all he wrote them.
    24.03.2008 - 13:50
    Judas
    The Amputator
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2008 at 18:32

I really can't understand why the best voice Helloween ever had (and probably ever will have) couldn't seem to release any listenable solo albums. But then again Geoff Tate's solo albums are also shitty at best. And Kiske on the Keeper albums at times does get eerily close to Geoff Tate (at the time of course, cause now Tate can't sing to save his life any more it seems.)

Finally, someone else thinking the same thing as me. In 'Halloween', the line "It's shining on meeeeeeeeeeeeeee..." could have been sung by Geoff Tate and no-one would have known the difference. There are other examples, of course, but I just listened to that song so that's the one I'm using.

Now, back to the topic, I think that Kiske is doing this as a marketing gimmick. Not all that many metalheads respect him as a person anymore, and they won't buy his stuff because a) it's shit, and b) they don't want to pay a 'traitor', but putting Helloween songs on there will pique their interest again. Of course, it also carries the whole "look at this clown, he's living off his past glory" stigma, but I daresay this album will sell more than his previous efforts.
    ----
    "Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
    24.03.2008 - 15:11
    Hyvaarin

Why respect a guy (renowned for his anti-metal tantrums) who comes crawling back to the genre he hates every time his money dries up? This album reeks of opportunism.
    ----
    "Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
    24.03.2008 - 17:06
    marillionfan
    Account deleted
    I don't think metalheads will rush to buy this album - first of all most of the songs from the album are from 2 albums Helloween fans/metalheads don't like that much or at all: Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon; that being said the market strategy idea goes down to pieces, for me at least. I don't think this album will have major sales, I don't know who is the target audience - I don't even think his aiming at the Helloween fans.
    25.03.2008 - 01:44
    whitepawel

Written by Hyvaarin on 24.03.2008 at 15:11

Why respect a guy (renowned for his anti-metal tantrums) who comes crawling back to the genre he hates every time his money dries up? This album reeks of opportunism.

Ok ok, I just wanted iaberis (Cpt. Rick Hunter) to stop crying ;]

Hits total: 4540 | This month: 6