02. Creeping Forward
03. Treadmill
04. The Summer Of The Horse
05. Way Home
06. Orgies Of Sorrow
07. Blurred Truth
08. Birth Means Defeat

Label: PsycheDOOMelic Records

From Germany comes the Traditional Doom ensemble Dreaming. Writing music does not seem to be a fast process in their studio, as they have been around as early as 1993 and only managed to release their second studio album "II" in 2006. Before the release of "II", the world also saw the release of a debut album, a live version of the debut album and a demo.

You'd expect they would come out with something gloriously original and droolicious after such a long time. You couldn't be more wrong, as these are the biggest Saint Vitus and Black Sabbath worshippers alive. The album itself isn't that bad actually, but I'd rather listen to the classics. Their fuzzy, mid-tempo riffs lean towards a more slow-paced tempo from time to time, and their old-school vocalist sings a bit too much through his nose for my liking, but overall he has a pretty good voice to go with it (and sometimes a funny accent). Every once in a while they'll have a groovy tune, and all in all this album is far from being bad.. it's just not good either.

If it would have been released twenty years ago, or would have some other kind of historical value, it would at least have meant something.. but seriously, why would anyone want to listen to any of this if he/she can also bang his head to Black Sabbath? This is only something for the true, hardcore, absolutely fanatic fan of the Doom genre, for the rest I'd deem this as rather superfluous.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 6
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 4
Production: 5

Written on 06.02.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 9 users
22.03.2008 - 16:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Objectively speaking I can see where you are coming from with your review and rating, though I find it surprising you rate it 1.6 points lower than Leather Nun which is right up this alley of doom too.

If I had to rate this I would get to a 6.4 on an objective level I think. Cause really can't think of why I should give the production aything less than a 7 and originality I think I would give a 6.

But subjectively I would give it a 7.5 cause (like I said with your Leather Nun review) I am a pure sucker for this sort of doom.
Maybe it is my age catching up with me
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.03.2008 - 16:21
Rating: 5
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Well, the difference between my ratings for this one and the Leather Nun reviews is that I enjoyed LN. And for this one.. it was really a drag to review, I think it is such a boring album. Really, when i gave them a 5.4 (which is, as you'll know, very close to a sufficient in our dutch school systems) I though i was very generous.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama

Hits total: 2812 | This month: 3