Metal Storm logo
Suffocation

16.06.2006 - 20:24
Detric
King Of Twilight
Amazing band, US death metal heroes. People always talk about how good Effigy Of The Forgttoen is, and it really is a fantastic album, but I think rest of their albums are as good as Effigy, if not better! I never really liked Breeding The Spawn mostly because of the production, but its still a good album. My favourite is difinitely Pierced From Within, I just cant stop listening to that album, a fucking masterpiece. I havent heard Souls To Deny, so I cant really give my opinion on that but the fact is, that they only released four albums, but they are one of the best death metal bands around.
16.06.2006 - 20:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Like them. Have one album in mp3's from them, don't remember which one, but it's good.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
16.06.2006 - 22:09
Nokkkkkkkkkkkkk
Account deleted
After a brief listen of some of Suffocation's older stuff, I can begin to see why people would call them brutal. Still, however, I think the traditional death metal label fits better.

I couldnt tell you which album is my favorite but the only release I listen to with any frequency is Despise the Sun. I'm gonna put all their other stuff on in my car on the way home, and see what I think...
17.06.2006 - 03:01
Southern Wind
Account deleted
One of mt favourite Death Metal acts, I had listened to "Effigy Of The Forgotten" since a long time from now. This had been one of the most copied bands on earth, but no one reaches their level.
17.06.2006 - 03:15
Daru Jericho
I've got Effigy Of The Forgotten and Pierced From Within. From these two albums, I have drawn up the conclusion that they are enjoyable. The riffing is a bit catchy in places. My only complaint with this band is that everytime they do a gig here they cancel it. They've done so at least 3 times in a row. I think the actual number maybe 4. They say they're going to come here sometime in August but I won't hold my breath for that. Still, I do want to see them live.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

17.06.2006 - 03:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I really like this band. Not only are they technical, but they actually play together unlike many tech death bands.

Anyways, I think Effigy of the Forgotten is by far their best. I also really like Pierced From Within, but I've only listened to Breeding the Spawn and Souls to Deny one or two times cuz they didn't interest me that much.
17.06.2006 - 04:59
Conemetal
I knew Suffocation because Herzebeth advised me about this incredible band, one of the most important act of Death Metal in the world. "Effigy Of The Forgotten" is a masterpiece
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
17.06.2006 - 09:30
Trifixion
Account deleted
Suffocation are amazing, and very underappreciated if you ask me. Effigy and Pierced From Within are both masterpieces, though all their albums are really good. Effigy is definetly my favorite though, talk about talent. These guys are the real deal.
17.06.2006 - 12:48
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
Yea, they're underappreciated and their albums are relatively hard to find in record stores, which is a great shame.

But like I said in the earlier thread, I appreciate Breeding the Spawn as well. It just seemed to be forgotten being between two masterpiece albums. It still has some great tracks like the title track, Epitaph of the Credulous and Anomalistic Offerings, with the bass having a very strong role in some of the tracks. It was Suffocation trying to develop their sound from Effigy, and not all liked it. I, however, do
17.06.2006 - 14:32
Baz Anderson
Staff
i hadnt listened to them in ages until a few days ago and i decided to listen to 'Effigy Of The Forgotten' again
'twas very good. it felt good to be listening to some old death metal again
its a shame we dont really hear much of Suffocation nowadays
18.06.2006 - 01:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
well, they are coming out with a new cd at the end of the year I think.
18.06.2006 - 02:21
SepulchralOath
Account deleted
No one has mentioned the Human Waste EP yet. What do you guys think of that? It may not be as strong as any of the full-lengths (because its an EP), but i find it pretty enjoyable.
18.06.2006 - 02:39
pox
Account deleted
i think Human Waste is great, i like the slightly crusty production and the relative volumes of all the instruments quite a bit more than on Effigy
18.06.2006 - 05:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, Human Waste is really good. It's definitely one of the better EP's around. Now that I think about it, Human Waste just might be their fastest release.
30.06.2006 - 01:26
Invoked
Account deleted
Is it just me, or does "Souls to Deny" sound very similar to "Curse you all men!" by Emperor?
Both great bands btw. Suffocation, Nile and Cryptopsy are my favorite of the more "br00tal" breed of death metal bands.
30.06.2006 - 01:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I picked up "Pierced from Within" as a result of Herzebeth's repeated and shameless plugging of this band - and it's a great album. Nice and tight - and it continues to grow on me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.07.2006 - 11:55
EvilOstrich
Account deleted
I'm really looking forward to their new self titled release coming in the fall. And I'm especially excited for the tour that they are going to be on. For some reason, I have never gone to see Suffocation live, but there is no way in hell that I'm missing them this next time that they come through Chicago. Effigy of the Forgotten is one of my top 5 favorite death metal albums ever. And I remember how excited I was when I saw one of their videos from Souls To Deny (I forget which song) on Headbanger's Ball. They are an excellent band that deserves all the praise that is given to them.
01.07.2006 - 18:45
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I am also one that is extemely looking forward to their new one, its coming out about the time that alot of other bands are releasing stuff so doubly excited. I remember the first time i listened to 'Effigy Of The Forgotten' a while back, sitting on the bus and you hear the quiet intro that you'd think you'd hear building up to the main body then BAM!! a few seconds into the first track and its pure brutality!! One of my favourite album releases of all time from one of the best death metal acts. Mike Smith is one of my favourite drummers, the creative brutality that that man can produce on the kit just amazes me ... hes a freakin' machine!!
----

Hellcunt Smurf
25.07.2006 - 19:16
Detric
King Of Twilight
Suffocation will release a new album in September some time, called Suffocation. You can hear the track Bind Torture Kill on their Myspace site:

http://www.myspace.com/suffocation

Sounds amazing.

Cover and tracklist:

01. Oblivion
02. Abomination Reborn
03. Redemption
04. Bind Torture Kill
05. Misonceived
06. Translucent Patterns of Delirium
07. Creed of the Infidel
08. Regret
09. Entrails of You
10. The End of Ends
11. Prelude to Repulsion*

* re-recording (original version appeared on 1992's "Breeding the Spawn")
26.07.2006 - 20:32
Invoked
Account deleted
Sweet, I hope it's at least as good as "Souls to Deny". Suffocation is one of the few bands that can pretty much maintain their original sound without becoming stagnant.
30.07.2006 - 22:51
Endoftherainbow
I am seeing this band live in November with Hypocrisy and Decapitation I haven't checked them out really though since I am mainly going to see Hypocrisy. But it seems this band is quite well recieved so I think I'm going to check out the album Effigy Of The Forgotten by them. I did hear a song off of they're new album though and it was pretty good.
31.07.2006 - 00:21
Despised Icon
Account deleted
Can't wait to see them in nashville.
31.07.2006 - 00:50
Stigmatized
Great band, though I don't listen to them as frequently as I should. Pierced From Within is probably my favorite of theirs. I think I've missed seeing them live about 3 times.
31.07.2006 - 01:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I've been listening to the Despise the Sun EP lately. It might even be better than Human Waste...
31.07.2006 - 04:33
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
The cover art looks quite good for the self title, very erie and cool like all Suffocation covers. Isnt it a shame that a great band like this one doesnt get as much recognition anymore for the impact they have had on the Death Metal scene... with the great releases that Suffocation have released (all of them) you dont hear much of them. Hopefully this new album will blow everyone away and the name of Suffocation will be back
----

Hellcunt Smurf
31.07.2006 - 05:28
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i like the band alot, although i haven't heard the effigy of the forgotten (which was highly recommended by herzebeth too)...i've been listening to human waste, pierced from within and souls to deny...these albums are getting me more into the band
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
31.07.2006 - 23:50
Thrash666
I have heard i one song by them. It was sick. Can anyone yet me know any good Suffocation albums to get??
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
01.08.2006 - 00:36
Robstar
Yeah great Band !
My favorite album is breeding the spawn !
Due to that was the fist album checked out !

gREAT Noise !
----
Nothing is unreacheable
01.08.2006 - 00:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Thrash666 on 31.07.2006 at 23:50

I have heard i one song by them. It was sick. Can anyone yet me know any good Suffocation albums to get??

I haven't heard anything bad about any of them. The only one I own is "Pierced from Within", and it is awesome.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.08.2006 - 05:38
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Thrash666 on 31.07.2006 at 23:50

My personal favourite would be 'Effigy Of The Forgotten', but they havent bought out any bad albums at all... they're all top grade brutal death metal so with anythingthat you try of them you should be blown away

Heres a link to the bands discography where you can see the people ratings:
http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/discography.php?band_id=358&bandname=Suffocation
----

Hellcunt Smurf