Metal Storm logo
Suffocation

Original post

Posted by Detric, 16.06.2006 - 20:24
Amazing band, US death metal heroes. People always talk about how good Effigy Of The Forgttoen is, and it really is a fantastic album, but I think rest of their albums are as good as Effigy, if not better! I never really liked Breeding The Spawn mostly because of the production, but its still a good album. My favourite is difinitely Pierced From Within, I just cant stop listening to that album, a fucking masterpiece. I havent heard Souls To Deny, so I cant really give my opinion on that but the fact is, that they only released four albums, but they are one of the best death metal bands around.
26.07.2007 - 03:45
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
I have 3. Effigy and Pierced, which are fantastic albums and s/t, which is great. Suffocation owns.
26.07.2007 - 17:18
Endbringer
Account deleted
Effegy rules
29.07.2007 - 02:03
Im_Haunted
Account deleted
"Effigy of the forgotten" and the most recent album "Suffocation" are both masterpeices of brutality!
Suffocation fucking rule.
16.10.2007 - 21:51
Lord TJ

The thing I don't like about Suffocation is how sometimes the solo's have poor/crappy quality, such as sounding like they are playing random notes, then the rest can sound fine. But any musician can tell you that a bad peice of the solo can ruin the rest.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
16.10.2007 - 22:02
rageing atheist
Account deleted
That's weird, for me Suffocation is one of the few metal bands whose solos do not sound homogenous and boring, in fact Terrence Hobbs is one of my favorite guitarists. Also I've read that Suffocation guitarists are one of the few in Death Metal who have actually bothered to learn guitar theory and different scale modes, so I doubt that they're playing randomly.
17.10.2007 - 21:17
Lord TJ

Well the only album I have is "Souls To Deny". You cant tell me that all of their solo's sound awesome and perfect.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

17.10.2007 - 21:29
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Haven't heard Souls to Deny myself, actually the only album from them that I have is Pierced From Within, which is a great record with awesome solos (the fact that though I have only heard one album from them I consider Hobbs one of my favorite guitarists should indicate how impressed I was with his playing).
04.11.2007 - 02:39
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Great fucking band...one of my fav's. One of the best in Brutal DM!!!

Pierced is fucking great....have I posted in this thread already? Cant remember lol...
06.11.2007 - 17:46
Lord TJ

Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 22:02

Also I've read that Suffocation guitarists are one of the few in Death Metal who have actually bothered to learn guitar theory and different scale modes, so I doubt that they're playing randomly.

It doesn't mean they are going to be great at soloing. What I think it is, is that since they are tuned really low, that when they play in the higher frets it sounds a little off, but I still think a lot of their solo's don't sound too great. I will give them props for speed and whatnot though. Still one of my favorite bands.
----

06.11.2007 - 18:01
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 06.11.2007 at 17:46

Written by Guest on 16.10.2007 at 22:02

Also I've read that Suffocation guitarists are one of the few in Death Metal who have actually bothered to learn guitar theory and different scale modes, so I doubt that they're playing randomly.

It doesn't mean they are going to be great at soloing. What I think it is, is that since they are tuned really low, that when they play in the higher frets it sounds a little off, but I still think a lot of their solo's don't sound too great. I will give them props for speed and whatnot though. Still one of my favorite bands.

Oh yea and Chuck's solos are a lot better....those of them that he actually did play....

LOL jk jk just messin' with ya
06.11.2007 - 19:49
Lord TJ

Yea...thats pretty old now.

I like the song Brood Of Hatred. It was the first song I heard from them while searching for Infecting The Crypts, then I got Catatonia, I still want to get the album Pierced From Within.

I love Franks vocals!
----

06.11.2007 - 23:33
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Written by Lord TJ on 06.11.2007 at 19:49

Yea...thats pretty old now.

I like the song Brood Of Hatred. It was the first song I heard from them while searching for Infecting The Crypts, then I got Catatonia, I still want to get the album Pierced From Within.

I love Franks vocals!

Holy shit dude you just earned back my respect Brood of Hatred is MY FAVORITE SUFFO SONG!!!! Great fucking pick! I almost have an orgasm at the end of that song when the riffs trade off I swear its so fucking awesome......

You must own Pierced from Within....Brood of Hatred is on it along with several other UNBELIEVABLY awesome songs. I am a big Pierced fanboy....Effigy is fuckin' great too...
24.11.2007 - 08:59
Lord TJ

So I recently got their latest album, "Suffocation". So far its ok, but its definitely growing on me. I do wish it had more kickass guitar parts as in "Souls To Deny". Still acceptable though of coarse!
----

19.01.2008 - 19:12
theflyingmachine

I finally bought Breeding the Spawn and have to say...after a couple dozen listens, I still don't have a solid opinion of the album. Seems like everyone always discusses the album's production, but about half of the time I listen to BtS, it seems to be merely a small step down in production value from Effigy on seven of the eight songs, while the other half of the time, it seems to really bring the album down. It would not be so bad if it were merely a little less clear than Effigy, but the production of the drums tends to piss me off, as it often drowns everything else out (Epitaph Of The Credulous is the best example).
Regardless, the production is never so bad that it cannot be recognized that this is Suffocation in their prime. The title track and Prelude to Repulsion are great songs, though I would like them more had I not already heard the re-recorded versions. Beginning of Sorrow rivals only Catatonia as my favorite Suffocation song. Overall, I think the actual album is an excellent combination between the brutality of Effigy and the technicality of Pierced and it is a shame that the only talk always centers around the production.
20.01.2008 - 01:36
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by theflyingmachine on 19.01.2008 at 19:12

I finally bought Breeding the Spawn and have to say...after a couple dozen listens, I still don't have a solid opinion of the album. Seems like everyone always discusses the album's production, but about half of the time I listen to BtS, it seems to be merely a small step down in production value from Effigy on seven of the eight songs, while the other half of the time, it seems to really bring the album down. It would not be so bad if it were merely a little less clear than Effigy, but the production of the drums tends to piss me off, as it often drowns everything else out (Epitaph Of The Credulous is the best example).
Regardless, the production is never so bad that it cannot be recognized that this is Suffocation in their prime. The title track and Prelude to Repulsion are great songs, though I would like them more had I not already heard the re-recorded versions. Beginning of Sorrow rivals only Catatonia as my favorite Suffocation song. Overall, I think the actual album is an excellent combination between the brutality of Effigy and the technicality of Pierced and it is a shame that the only talk always centers around the production.

Yeah I agree with you about the production. It is a great album, and I think it has Suffocation's best bass guitar work.
22.01.2008 - 08:28
Woutjinho
Account deleted
the raw sound like Human Waste kills
best work of Suffocaton

I know people say its a bad production, but thats the sound of underground
07.03.2008 - 01:37
Cut-Throat

I love despise the sun ep - "god forbid god forbidden"
07.03.2008 - 01:47
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Cut-Throat on 07.03.2008 at 01:37

I love despise the sun ep - "god forbid god forbidden"

That EP is fucking amazing. GREEEEEED HAAAAAATE DECEPTION
12.03.2008 - 07:18
ABUSOR
Account deleted
Human Waste is Suffocation's best release to date and is fucking awesome!! As so is Pierced From Within and Despise The Sun. I'm not really a fan of Breeding The Spawn, Souls To Deny and ST. I would have to say though, that Souls To Deny is their worst album. That album was a shit comeback for the band.. I saw them live a couple of years ago and I was extremely un-impressed. They actually bored me..
18.03.2008 - 14:16
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I'll see them back in Portugal! It will be brutal I'm sure!! Effigy of the forgotten is my favourite album!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
26.03.2008 - 17:41
Lord TJ

Is it me or does the second solo on Liege Of Inveracity sound like a retard attempting the intro to Sweet Child O Mine around 3:24?
----

25.08.2008 - 06:47
Conservationist

Suffocation interview

No one has or will create death metal like Suffocation. Taking the muffled hard-stop strumming of speed metal, mixing it in with the structural cryptograms of death metal, and amplifying the intensity, Suffocation innovative the percussive death metal that spawned the goregrind genre and countless imitators. Drummer Mike Smith was kind enough to give us an interview on the state of the band and its future.

Read more: Suffocation interview

...one of the greatest death metal bands to ever walk this earth!
25.08.2008 - 13:39
TheBigRossowski

I haven't listened to them in so long! Then again, I haven't really listened to much death metal in a while other than Behemoth. Suffocation is definitely one of my favorites of the genre. Despise the Sun....ohhhhhhohhohhhhhhhhhh....what a beauty.

Thanks for the interview though! Good readings
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
26.08.2008 - 02:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Nice interview! The questions are quite interesting...Mike Smith is a beast.

The new album comes out soon, right???
26.08.2008 - 08:03
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Yeah nice interview, Mike Smith is tops, one of the most innovative death metal drummers out there right now.

@ pyro : i think the new album is coming out sometime in december, Suffocation near christmas damn, doesn't fit lol.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
26.08.2008 - 17:00
theflyingmachine

I never really got into Despise the Sun much (except the Catatonia remake), but it sounds like a couple of the band members disliked it as well? Maybe I read that wrong.
26.08.2008 - 17:27
-Soulreaper-

Suffocation really is a great band and I dont think they have put out one bad album. A lot of people don't like their s/t but I think that it is just as good as the previous albums. And for all you people who haven't listened to Souls to Deny, I highly recommend you getting that album and blasting it as loud as you can, until the cops come of course and then when they leave just crank it back up to 11.
18.09.2008 - 06:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Anyone who has seen Frank live will think this is funny

18.09.2008 - 14:25
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Written by Dangerboner on 18.09.2008 at 06:05

Anyone who has seen Frank live will think this is funny

Brutal! Very funny indeed!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
18.09.2008 - 18:27
theflyingmachine

I was actually just thinking about reviving this thread. What is everyone's favorite track on the S/T? Mine would have to be Translucent Patterns of Delirium