Metal Storm logo
Psychic For Radio - New Prog Rock Supergroup

A new prog supergroup has arisen called Psychic For Radio - the band line-up is:

Michael Sadler (vocalist, ex-Saga)
Mark Zonder (drummer, Slavior, ex-Fates Warning)
Shawn Gordon (keyboardist and guitarist)

The history of the band goes as follows:

"In early 2005 Shawn Gordon and Henning Pauly were having a conversation about music when Shawn shared a story about hearing songs in his head that then were on the radio and said "I'm psychic for radio", to which he also joked it would make a good band name. At this point Shawn and Henning came up with an idea to basically do a punk album with a group of people living at the studio for 3 or 4 days and video tape the whole thing like a Spinal Tap mockumentary. Shortly after, they were talking to Michael Sadler at CalProg and trying to talk him in to doing it as well, which he seemed open to.

So things didn't end up happening on the punk front and Henning moved back to Germany, but Shawn still liked the idea of getting a group of musicians together for a weekend and seeing what they could come up with, so he contacted his friend Kurt Barabas from Under The Sun and the two of them got it organized, they had the weekend in July 2006 and got some good ideas recorded. Michael was still open to doing vocals, but initially we were just thinking a couple songs and having 3 or 4 vocalists on the album.

Things got stalled for about 6 months and then we were able to schedule a vocal session on the first song with Michael and it was looking like we were gonna get moving, but with Kurts work on Amaran's Plight and Michaels heavy schedule, we got delayed again till later in 2007 when we got more progress done, but we still needed to resolve the drummer and guitarist for the final recordings. A chance conversation with Mark Zonder and Shawn Gordon got him on board with drums in between his work with Slavior. Then in late 2007 Shawn talked to Sean Entriken of Prymary and we got him on board.

So Psychic for Radio is a project from Shawn and Kurt, it might be a one off, we don't know, we just want to finish this one and see how the reaction is and we'll just go from there. Everyone has their 'day jobs' to attend to and there are some other unrelated music projects coming from ProgRock Records that Shawn and Kurt are also involved in. Michael, Mark and Sean all have their own projects and bands that they are also heavily involved in that you should see later this year."

The band announced that with one song left, all of the music is now written and recorded for their debut album. The album title and art concept has also been decided, with more details to come.

Samples and all info about Psychic For Radio can be found on http://www.myspace.com/psychicforradioband.

Source: myspace.com
Posted: 24.03.2008 by Nox Lux

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 6   Visited by: 14 users
25.03.2008 - 11:02
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Who gives a shit?
----
Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will.
25.03.2008 - 18:47
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by Born-2rise on 25.03.2008 at 11:02

Who gives a shit?

Dude, get hit by a bus already. We all can't like Children Of Douchebag

This is an interesting prog rock project with a few interesting musicians. And posting this as news is a great way to introduce new music to people.
And if you don't like this project and the samples, that's cool, but try to give your opinion in a more decent and mature way...
----
Your favorite band sucks.
25.03.2008 - 19:12
Nox Lux
codebreaker
Mate you seem to have completely missed the point of a news section. Under your guise we wouldn't read newspapers or go to shows by bands we don't know of that well or even just read a magazine....about anything!
Under your guise the only bands we should pay attention to are the ones that are already big. How did they get big? Someone gave a shit.
It's there to take or leave as you wish....as anyone wishes. What makes the site better is providing information whether it is already popular or not. It's about recording the stuff down so that if someone is interested, they don't have to look further than the metal site they're already on - Metalstorm.
What will you do if these guys get really big in a couple of years time? If I give you some sauce will you eat your words?
At least all the bases are covered here, so to speak. At least if you're bored you can check out samples from some random band.
You can always read Kerrang if you want the latest on screamo bands that far too many people do give a shit about (in my opinion).
Anyway, if you're still bored after reading legions of stuff about random bands you couldn't find yourself and listening to music samples that other people have handed to you, then perhaps you'd enjoy starting your own obscure prog band and trying to get yourself heard amongst a community of apathetic "music lovers" that simply don't give a shit? And are more then happy to spend their time talking about it, whether asked to or not.
----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
25.03.2008 - 20:14
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
Written by Nox Lux on 25.03.2008 at 19:12

Mate you seem to have completely missed the point of a news section. Under your guise we wouldn't read newspapers or go to shows by bands we don't know of that well or even just read a magazine....about anything!
Under your guise the only bands we should pay attention to are the ones that are already big. How did they get big? Someone gave a shit.
It's there to take or leave as you wish....as anyone wishes. What makes the site better is providing information whether it is already popular or not. It's about recording the stuff down so that if someone is interested, they don't have to look further than the metal site they're already on - Metalstorm.
What will you do if these guys get really big in a couple of years time? If I give you some sauce will you eat your words?
At least all the bases are covered here, so to speak. At least if you're bored you can check out samples from some random band.
You can always read Kerrang if you want the latest on screamo bands that far too many people do give a shit about (in my opinion).
Anyway, if you're still bored after reading legions of stuff about random bands you couldn't find yourself and listening to music samples that other people have handed to you, then perhaps you'd enjoy starting your own obscure prog band and trying to get yourself heard amongst a community of apathetic "music lovers" that simply don't give a shit? And are more then happy to spend their time talking about it, whether asked to or not.

Hey guys u do have a point, but its just my opinion, i mean i hate prog and seriusly dont care about any prog band, I'm not a huge fan of C.O.B but do kinda like em, and their not douchebags alright?!And i fucking hate screamo bands man, so know a some shit about me be4 u go along n start judging me coz i think whatever dumb prog band is probable gonna suck in my opinion.
----
26.03.2008 - 01:52
Nox Lux
codebreaker
What's wrong with calling Children of Bodom douchebags? Thryce was only voicing an opinion.

It actually requires more effort for you to post negatively without constructive criticism. That must mean that you hoped to gain something out of it. Considering there's no reward on this site for unfounded, biased and unjustified or ill-articulated 'opinions' [they're assholes, everyone's got one] I can deduce that you must have hoped for some sort of peer-related affirmation. Since all other members can really do is send you a pm or reply to your comment saying that they agree or found it funny, and since even you realise that there was not enough in the comment to make it interesting or worthy of real merit, this is my conclusion:

The reason you made that comment was not even about voicing an opinion and more about looking for attention.

And Children Of Bodom ARE progressive.

Anyway, I'm tired of this absurd crap. Just post some news so I can slag it off.

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
26.03.2008 - 08:36
Born-2rise
Nayyiker
mmm yeh sure, so r u like some psychiatrist or sumthing, trying to make out everyone's personality? R u like the next Dr. Phil and im not knowing about it. Well u r wrong man, so stop trying to be smart.
----

Hits total: 2373 | This month: 8