Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
11.06.2010 - 20:02
Fat & Sassy!

Written by doomvendor on 11.06.2010 at 07:02

The whole point of this post was to maybe get some advice from the IM faithful where to search next.

I'd basically check out everything they did from their first album up to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son for the best stuff. Brave New World is also a great album to check out too. Honestly though, I think their whole discography is fairly solid.

Written by Saitenhexerin on 11.06.2010 at 09:01

Nevertheless I am disappointed by that new song and the setlist and that is a horrible feeling because Maiden always were my favourite band...and I just hope that the album is going to rock my socks off.

Tell me about it... :/

Written by BloodTears on 11.06.2010 at 18:57

Actually, I love playing Wickerman on guitar, because it's so easy and catchy ahah

Isn't The Wickerman one of Adrian's songs? Imo, his songs are great. They have such such raw power compared to other Maiden songs.

Written by Lord_Regnier on 11.06.2010 at 13:56

Lots of people seem to be deceived by Maiden but only NOW. I find it so weird.

Deceived? That's a pretty strong word. I mean, as long as Maiden is still putting out Maiden albums, they're not deceiving anybody. It's just disappointment, really. Honestly, I'm not expecting them to put out anything super awesome... like... ever again. To me, (being a fan of most of their albums) A Matter of Life & Death really proved that they might be running outta spunk. Obviously, being much younger than the band itself, I was not a fan of the band when I was 3 years old and didn't experience the bands changes in the 90's... So I guess the albums don't have the same impact on me as someone who did. But I never have felt "deceived" by the band.
11.06.2010 - 21:21
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.06.2010 at 13:56

I've just happened to stumble across this fan made artwork for the new Maiden album, and I have to say, it's miles better than the actual artwork for the album is. This guy is a real talent!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7QyUhiMtBtk/S5vhKzYALOI/AAAAAAAAASM/ChE3fkedXjI/s1600-h/37FinalFrontier.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7QyUhiMtBtk/S5vhKSz_p5I/AAAAAAAAASE/5GippnEtPMM/s1600-h/36FinalFrontier.jpg

Holy crap! Amazing work!!!!!! And the actual cover suxx indeed.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
11.06.2010 - 22:56
doomvendor

I'll take a guess that this will be Iron Maiden's last major tour. I think this because the last song on the setlist is Running Free which they haven't used much recently on their tours. I don't think there would be a more fitting way to end it than the song that started it all.
12.06.2010 - 02:06
BattleHamster

No, there's no way it could be their weakest album yet. They have Bruce Dickinson instead of Blaze Bailey.

Unless we decide that the Blaze Bailey albums don't count as Iron Maiden. I could be convinced of that.
12.06.2010 - 02:18
Lord_Regnier

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.06.2010 at 20:02

Deceived? That's a pretty strong word. I mean, as long as Maiden is still putting out Maiden albums, they're not deceiving anybody. It's just disappointment, really. Honestly, I'm not expecting them to put out anything super awesome... like... ever again. To me, (being a fan of most of their albums) A Matter of Life & Death really proved that they might be running outta spunk. Obviously, being much younger than the band itself, I was not a fan of the band when I was 3 years old and didn't experience the bands changes in the 90's... So I guess the albums don't have the same impact on me as someone who did. But I never have felt "deceived" by the band.

Sorry. I meant disappointed and not deceived. I confuse both words when I'm not careful enough because disappoint=décevoir in french. (the french word for disappoint is almost exactly the english word deceive)
Also, in french, you can use the word 'décevoir' both for disappoint or deceive, depending on the context.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
12.06.2010 - 15:03
Numbskull

Written by Irritable Ted on 12.06.2010 at 11:24

Written by Angelic Storm on 11.06.2010 at 13:56

I've just happened to stumble across this fan made artwork for the new Maiden album, and I have to say, it's miles better than the actual artwork for the album is. This guy is a real talent!

Wow, the second one is brilliant, they should commission this guy to do the next album cover or at least a single off the new album. Miles better than the Dead Space rip off cartoon cover they have chosen.

I'll second this and why are thy cutting off the bottom of the Iron Maiden name now? It looks less epic and stupid.
12.06.2010 - 19:31
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Wow, the second one is brilliant, they should commission this guy to do the next album cover or at least a single off the new album. Miles better than the Dead Space rip off cartoon cover they have chosen.

I think the way that the guy made the covers was very clever. The 2nd one, with Eddie in the foreground, and spaceship in the background would make a good cover. Then have the first one with Eddie about to grab the spaceship as the back cover, or inside the booklet. But both covers are really awesome, and both are a lot better than the actual cover. Maiden should definitely comission him, he sure has the talent! xD
12.06.2010 - 20:01
M

Oh noes. Really terrible works imo.
12.06.2010 - 20:08
Lord_Regnier

they should commission this guy to do the next album cover or at least a single off the new album.

I believe there won't be a next Maiden album after "The Final Frontier". The title of the album itself and the fact it is released exactly 30 years after Maiden's first album lead me to believe it's the way to bring a conclusion to their career.
Add to this that they're way too old and it completes the picture.

Of course, there will still be tons of compilations and shit after that. This band releases useless lives and compilations at a ridiculous rate since the mid-90s. I think I know no other band who have a discography in which you can find the same songs repeated on so many records.
----
13.06.2010 - 00:39
Lord_Regnier

Written by Irritable Ted on 12.06.2010 at 21:23

You only need one compilation album, Best Of The Beast, the 2 disc version. Everything they have released since then is a bit crap anyway.

I agree. This compilation has many great songs.
They made several useless compilations after that (and useless lives too- "Live At Donington" is almost exactly the same fucking thing as "A Real Live/Dead One") and those releases have no reason to exist apart from being (maybe) good cash grabs. It's basically the same material with a different package, just like when Kiss released "Psycho Circus" with 4 different covers.
----
13.06.2010 - 14:54
Lord_Regnier

Written by Irritable Ted on 13.06.2010 at 13:00

A little bit off topic, but I hate it when bands release deluxe versions of an album. I usually buy the release day version, as true fans normally do. So why six months later do they bring out a better version? Not fair on the real fans.

Indeed. I hate it too. It's a lame commercial trick to sell you the same album twice.
----
13.06.2010 - 20:45
Derwood

I've looked for set lists from the next couple shows in Texas and it looks like they have switched "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" for "Wrathchild" (why couldn't they drop "Brave New World" instead?). Here's hoping they keep that change in place since "Wrathchild" is a personal favourite.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
13.06.2010 - 23:36
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Derwood on 13.06.2010 at 20:45

I've looked for set lists from the next couple shows in Texas and it looks like they have switched "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" for "Wrathchild" (why couldn't they drop "Brave New World" instead?). Here's hoping they keep that change in place since "Wrathchild" is a personal favourite.

That's great. BTaTS is a ssssnnnnnnoooozzzeeee-fest. :/ Here's to hoping they put the Trooper in there somewhere too.
14.06.2010 - 00:06
Derwood

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.06.2010 at 23:36

That's great. BTaTS is a ssssnnnnnnoooozzzeeee-fest. :/ Here's to hoping they put the Trooper in there somewhere too.

It's a lot less of a snooze fest than "Brave New World."
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
14.06.2010 - 00:23
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Derwood on 14.06.2010 at 00:06

It's a lot less of a snooze fest than "Brave New World."

Eh, imo Brave New World is a pretty intense song that is littered with a dumb and boring chorus. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns just drags on and on. But hey, that's just what I think.
14.06.2010 - 01:49
Hrothdane

I enjoy A Matter of Life and Death mainly because it was very mature lyrically. "Different World" really spoke to me especially. I do agree that some of the songs are a little longer than necessary though.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
01.07.2010 - 02:13
AtLossForWords
Spinozistic
What's wrong with Brave New World? The album got a lot of people interested in Maiden again and started their progressive period. Honestly, its my favorite Maiden album, and I really liked the fact they played almost half the album on the most recent tour.

As for the song, I think its a good one, and I'm tempted to agree with Hrothdane. The song does have exceptional verses, melodies, and solos. It's much more interesting than anything from the early period like Killers or the self titled album.
----
Proud owner of many erased pages.
01.07.2010 - 12:20
Gamma_Ray

I also like Brave New World, it is number 3 on my list, after Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son and Piece Of Mind. I can the song Brave New World on guitar
----
Now I'm riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way I'll cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
forever to be free
01.07.2010 - 19:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
I actually love the latest setlist from Maiden. I am so f-ing tired of their classics. I'm a die-hard-I'd-give-my-life-fanboy to Iron Maiden but I don't wanna hear their classics anymore. IMO, the best Maiden songs are many of the overlooked ones.
----
02.07.2010 - 20:57
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Warman on 01.07.2010 at 19:02

I actually love the latest setlist from Maiden. I am so f-ing tired of their classics. I'm a die-hard-I'd-give-my-life-fanboy to Iron Maiden but I don't wanna hear their classics anymore. IMO, the best Maiden songs are many of the overlooked ones.

Yeah, but (for me, at least) hearing it live is totally different. You don't get pumped every time you hear the opening to one of their classics at a live show?
04.07.2010 - 22:57
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 02.07.2010 at 20:57

Yeah, but (for me, at least) hearing it live is totally different. You don't get pumped every time you hear the opening to one of their classics at a live show?

I don't.
----
05.07.2010 - 20:13
Storchillarn

They should play: Phantom of the Opera, Drifter, Prodigal Son, The Prisoner, Flash of the Blade, To Tame a Land, Alexander the Great, Caught Somewhere In Time, Only the Good Die Young, Infinite Dreams, Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg.

I've only seen them once which was during their last tour, the "Somewhere Back in Time Tour", and they played almost every must hear Maiden-tune but these are the songs I'd kill to hear live. ^^
06.07.2010 - 00:00
Edmund Fogg

Actually I disagree with most people having problems with the setlist.I'm gonna see them live wednesday night and to me they act like comfort food.I don't care about their album,I always love to see their live energy and their "bigger is better" type of attitude.It's always conforting to see a good ol show like that.I don't know if it makes any sense its clear in my head though

Edit: Scratch what I just said.Yesterday's show was lame.During the first half they tortured us with songs from the last 3 albums and even managed to insult Dio by playing fucking Blood Brothers has a tribute...A freaking valse men!A freaking valse.The second half was alright with good old classic like Iron Maiden,Running Free,Hallowed be thy name etch.but no Troopers,no Run To The Hills,no 2 Minutes To Midnightno Rime of the Ancient Mariner,no Aces High.Plus Bruce really had some difficulty with his voice and was more often in the backstage then running around like a maniac.For me top accept Iron Maiden can put out a lame show is kinda like saying gravity doesn't exist.It's hard to digest
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
12.07.2010 - 12:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
One of our most influential rock/metal magazine Spark issued a statement, that Lady Gaga is about to cover Maiden's "Run To The Hills"...we are doomed!

http://www.spark-rockmagazine.cz/article.php?rss&&rid=13&cid=17621
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.07.2010 - 17:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Ellrohir on 12.07.2010 at 12:04

One of our most influential rock/metal magazine Spark issued a statement, that Lady Gaga is about to cover Maiden's "Run To The Hills"...we are doomed!

Nothing too new. Shakira has covered AC/DC, from what I know. Besides, this could spark more interest in the band.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.07.2010 - 22:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by vezzy on 12.07.2010 at 17:40

Written by Ellrohir on 12.07.2010 at 12:04

Nothing too new. Shakira has covered AC/DC, from what I know. Besides, this could spark more interest in the band.

Yeah, except Shakira has a bit of artistic integrity, so it doesn't seem as shameful I guess.

It just seems Lady Gaga is always trying to curry favour with more underground crowds such as metal...I can't quite pinpoint why, but I just get that feeling.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.07.2010 - 22:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Let her cover whatever she wants, it really doesn't matter. "Run to the Hills" is already a pretty comercial metal song.
----
13.07.2010 - 00:10
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Written by Warman on 12.07.2010 at 22:11

Let her cover whatever she wants, it really doesn't matter. "Run to the Hills" is already a pretty comercial metal song.

Agreed... the fact that lady gaga knows about the song and likes it means its pretty much been milked-dry by the radio
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
13.07.2010 - 02:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Even back in the day when Run To The Hills was released as single and also when it appeared on the album it was regarded as a radio friendly song, and rightly so. One of the single most overrated songs in the Maiden roster imo. Fun for once or at parties but that's it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.07.2010 - 04:19
Hrothdane

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.07.2010 at 02:39

Even back in the day when Run To The Hills was released as single and also when it appeared on the album it was regarded as a radio friendly song, and rightly so. One of the single most overrated songs in the Maiden roster imo. Fun for once or at parties but that's it.

It's also damn fun to sing.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades