Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
14.07.2010 - 04:15
Got Mayhem?

I just don't like the thought of "gaga fans" singing even a bastardized version of such a classic and hallowed song.
----
14.07.2010 - 15:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.07.2010 at 02:39

Even back in the day when Run To The Hills was released as single and also when it appeared on the album it was regarded as a radio friendly song, and rightly so. One of the single most overrated songs in the Maiden roster imo. Fun for once or at parties but that's it.

Well said Marcel. I agree.
----
15.07.2010 - 18:01
Storchillarn

Http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/why_maiden_arent_playing_what_you_want.html

Hmm... I'm not pleased. I mean, a Maiden set-list can never (almost) be bad but why can't they just play Alexander the Great or To Tame A Land? =(
17.07.2010 - 22:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
Just heard this on Spotify, think it's pretty kick-ass.
----
18.07.2010 - 21:25
Angel Of Mercy

Maiden aren't playing what we want cause it's there set list. Get over the fact the trooper isn't on there. For The Greater Good Of God isn't on there!
----
Your time will come.
19.07.2010 - 20:20
Warman
Erotic Stains
Maiden is doing the right thing. I hate it when bands are on tour with the same songs year after year, decade after decade. Rob Halford once said he hates to decide the setlists for shows, because he really wants to sing other songs than the classics.

Maiden touring with more "new" songs is just what I want!
----
19.07.2010 - 20:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Warman on 19.07.2010 at 20:20

Maiden is doing the right thing. I hate it when bands are on tour with the same songs year after year, decade after decade. Rob Halford once said he hates to decide the setlists for shows, because he really wants to sing other songs than the classics.

Problem, however, is that those new songs come nowhere the classics when it comes to quality.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.07.2010 - 20:35
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2010 at 20:32

Problem, however, is that those new songs come nowhere the classics when it comes to quality.

I really can't say. I'm such a huge fanboy of the band so with only a few exceptions, Maiden's quality is just as high on most albums.
----
19.07.2010 - 23:42
Angel Of Mercy

I'm a massive fan boy. We all know this. But, I agree the quality on the last couple of albums has had a couple of filler tracks.
----
Your time will come.
22.07.2010 - 14:25
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.07.2010 at 20:32

Written by Warman on 19.07.2010 at 20:20

Indeed. The gap between old and new is huge.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
22.07.2010 - 16:24
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Edmund Fogg on 06.07.2010 at 00:00

Edit: Scratch what I just said.Yesterday's show was lame.During the first half they tortured us with songs from the last 3 albums and even managed to insult Dio by playing fucking Blood Brothers has a tribute...A freaking valse men!A freaking valse.

Tortured? Pretty sure the venue full of people at the show I went to will beg to differ. They didn't play all the songs *you* wanted them to play? Maybe you should write them an angry letter. :/ And playing Blood Brothers in tribute of Dio was nothing short of fucking epic. Personally, I love the song. And I think there is no other Maiden song more fitting to play in honor of Dio. It's their metal anthem.
22.07.2010 - 18:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
New songs are a bit different, but still great, end of discussion
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.07.2010 - 21:33
Edmund Fogg

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 22.07.2010 at 16:24

Written by Edmund Fogg on 06.07.2010 at 00:00

Edit: Scratch what I just said.Yesterday's show was lame.During the first half they tortured us with songs from the last 3 albums and even managed to insult Dio by playing fucking Blood Brothers has a tribute...A freaking valse men!A freaking valse.

Tortured? Pretty sure the venue full of people at the show I went to will beg to differ. They didn't play all the songs *you* wanted them to play? Maybe you should write them an angry letter. :/ And playing Blood Brothers in tribute of Dio was nothing short of fucking epic. Personally, I love the song. And I think there is no other Maiden song more fitting to play in honor of Dio. It's their metal anthem.

Torture might hyave been a bit exxessive it's just that I was dissapointed and angry when I wrote that.The last 3 albums to me sounds really generic and do not qualyfie as Maiden material in my book.Same thing for blood Brothers I hate that song and always will
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
23.07.2010 - 08:51
DoommooD

First of all, lady gaga doing run to the hills is pathetic. what the fuck is happening out there in music land. how sad and stupid. :\
23.07.2010 - 13:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 19.07.2010 at 23:42

I'm a massive fan boy. We all know this. But, I agree the quality on the last couple of albums has had a couple of filler tracks.

I think all Maiden albums, with the exception of "Killers", "Number Of The Beast", all albums from 1984-1990, and "Brave New World", contained some filler.
23.07.2010 - 16:33
Angel Of Mercy

I may have to agree with you angelic storm.
----
Your time will come.
25.07.2010 - 00:45
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 23.07.2010 at 13:09

I think all Maiden albums, with the exception of "Killers", "Number Of The Beast", all albums from 1984-1990, and "Brave New World", contained some filler.

I agree on Maiden's albums containing pretty much only good songs from TNOTB to SSOASS.
The two albums with Di'Anno had weak tracks, however.
And I surely disagree on BNW. It's a boring album full of fillers.
----
25.07.2010 - 05:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 23.07.2010 at 16:33

I may have to agree with you angelic storm.

I think ''Another Life'' is as close to a filler track on "Killers" as you're likely to find on it. Its a decent song, but its definitely overshadowed by better songs on the album. I dunno if its bad enough to be classed as a "filler", but its definitely of a lesser quality than than the other songs on the album.
25.07.2010 - 15:25
Storchillarn

It's hard to identify filler tracks when you've listened to and liked most of their songs at some point but possible fillers are:
Killers - Innocent Exile
Piece of Mind - Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel, Back in the Village
No Prayer for the Dying - Fates Warning, The Assassin
Fear of the Dark - Fear is the Key, Wasting Love, Chains of Misery
Brave New World - The Fallen Angel, The Mercenary
Dance of Death - New Frontier, Gates of Tomorrow, Age of Innocence
A Matter of Life & Death - Out of the Shadows, The Pilgrim

These songs, I think, are the closest to filler they've done simply because they aren't particularily interesting in their structure and seem to have been crafted around one or possibly two alright riffs but with forced/boring vocal melodies. As you can see I didn't even bother with the Blaze-era albums.
25.07.2010 - 17:27
RavenKing

Written by Storchillarn on 25.07.2010 at 15:25

Piece of Mind - Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel, Back in the Village

"Back In The Village" is from Powerslave.
----
25.07.2010 - 17:40
DoommooD

Written by Storchillarn on 25.07.2010 at 15:25
It's hard to identify filler tracks when you've listened to and liked most of their songs at some point but possible fillers are: Killers - Innocent Exile Piece of Mind - Quest for Fire, Sun and Steel, Back in the Village No Prayer for the Dying - Fates Warning, The Assassin Fear of the Dark - Fear is the Key, Wasting Love, Chains of Misery Brave New World - The Fallen Angel, The Mercenary Dance of Death - New Frontier, Gates of Tomorrow, Age of Innocence A Matter of Life & Death - Out of the Shadows, The Pilgrim These songs, I think, are the closest to filler they've done simply because they aren't particularily interesting in their structure and seem to have been crafted around one or possibly two alright riffs but with forced/boring vocal melodies. As you can see I didn't even bother with the Blaze-era albums.
Innocent exile rules! imo its not a filler at all. and back in the village is from powerslave which is the best no filler album by maiden EVER!
25.07.2010 - 20:17
Storchillarn

Of course it's from Powerslave but "7th Son" is the best no filler album ever!
25.07.2010 - 21:15
Fat & Sassy!

Back In the Village is FUCKING INTENSE and really stands out among a lot of their other songs. You guys are nuts! xD
26.07.2010 - 16:15
Angel Of Mercy

Seventh son having no fillers?

To be honest, I've not listened to that album in a while, so I can't remember!
----
Your time will come.
26.07.2010 - 17:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.07.2010 at 21:15

Back In the Village is FUCKING INTENSE and really stands out among a lot of their other songs. You guys are nuts! xD

I agree, that song is awesome! xD The intro riff is also one of the most difficult riffs Ive ever tried to play. lol IMO "Powerslave" has no fillers whatsoever.

I also love "Innocent Exile", its one of my faves from Killers, and one of my fave Maiden songs overall. I especially love Adrian's solo in it, and the way the pace picks up near the end. <33 I dont think "Sun And Steel" is a filler either, its a great song!

I'll go through every Maiden album listing every song Id class as filler.

Iron Maiden: Charlotte The Harlot
Killers: Another Life
Number Of The Beast: None
Piece Of Mind: Quest For Fire
Powerslave: None
Somewhere In Time: None. Although "Heaven Can Wait" isnt quite as great as the other songs on the album.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: None
No Prayer For The Dying: None (I know almost nobody will agree with me on this, but what the hell? lol)
Fear Of The Dark: Fear Is The Key, The Apparition, (although I do love the solo in it! ) Weekend Warrior
The X Factor: Fortunes Of War, Blood On The World's Hands
Virtual XI: The Angel And The Gambler, The Educated Fool, Dont Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
Brave New World: None
Dance Of Death: Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier, Face In The Sand
A Matter Of Life And Death: For The Greater Good Of God
27.07.2010 - 03:33
Angel Of Mercy

Written by Angelic Storm on 26.07.2010 at 17:34

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.07.2010 at 21:15

I agree, that song is awesome! xD The intro riff is also one of the most difficult riffs Ive ever tried to play. lol IMO "Powerslave" has no fillers whatsoever.

I also love "Innocent Exile", its one of my faves from Killers, and one of my fave Maiden songs overall. I especially love Adrian's solo in it, and the way the pace picks up near the end. <33 I dont think "Sun And Steel" is a filler either, its a great song!

I'll go through every Maiden album listing every song Id class as filler.

Iron Maiden: Charlotte The Harlot
Killers: Another Life
Number Of The Beast: None
Piece Of Mind: Quest For Fire
Powerslave: None
Somewhere In Time: None. Although "Heaven Can Wait" isnt quite as great as the other songs on the album.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son: None
No Prayer For The Dying: None (I know almost nobody will agree with me on this, but what the hell? lol)
Fear Of The Dark: Fear Is The Key, The Apparition, (although I do love the solo in it! ) Weekend Warrior
The X Factor: Fortunes Of War, Blood On The World's Hands
Virtual XI: The Angel And The Gambler, The Educated Fool, Dont Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
Brave New World: None
Dance Of Death: Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier, Face In The Sand

I disagree with you on a lot of those
----
Your time will come.
27.07.2010 - 13:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 27.07.2010 at 03:33
I disagree with you on a lot of those

Fair enough so lol
27.07.2010 - 19:32
Fat & Sassy!

Although I may be alone here... Face In the Sand is one of my favorites. It sounds really intense in a sort of dark and passionate way (hard to describe) and is and majestic as fuck! :O
27.07.2010 - 22:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.07.2010 at 17:34

Hmm, I'd say tracks 1 through 10 from that album are filler.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
27.07.2010 - 22:33
Storchillarn

The list I made was more from a retard's perspective.. of course Maiden don't have that many fillers. However, the later albums do have some stuff I'd call filler, Dance of Death in particular. Back In the Village is an annoying song, quite cool but the ending vocal line is so darn ugly. Also, I have to try that riff! ^^